Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad starter?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad starter?

Howdy all,

After 4 days of sitting, I went to start my Evo today, which wasn't successful

When I turn the key, the dash lights flicker, and there is a rapid "machine gun"-like clicking sound from the front of the car. Car does not turn over/crank.

If I had to take a guess, it seems like the starter solenoid is not engaging, and therefore the flywheel not turning.

The only real troubleshooting I did was swapping the underhood relays around, but the problem stayed the same. Battery is fine.

Anyone else concur with my diagnosis, or has this happened to anyone else? Admittedly I spent about 10 minutes troubleshooting (cold!). Looks like I'll be driving the '84 Rabbit tomorrow... going to be pissed if the starter is shot, as I am about 5k miles out of warranty.

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fyi... turns out it was the battery.

although voltage was good, the cold cranking amperage was not there after sitting for 4 days. what was surprising is that the car didn't "slow crank" like it has on a low battery.

couple hours on the battery charger and it fired right up.

fwiw, battery in question is an AMS small battery, although I want to be clear that I don't think the battery is failing, just the combination of sudden extreme drop in temperature + sitting for 4 days... had the same thing happen to my 04 Jetta that sat outside in an airport parking lot for 9 days in January.