Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

2008 EvoX Starts, idles perfect for 3 seconds, then dies after installing rebuilt eng

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:35 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 EvoX Starts, idles perfect for 3 seconds, then dies after installing rebuilt eng

So the car has been down for about 6 weeks, engine and head were rebuilt, got everything back together and the car fires *right* up, just perfect. Idles high around 1500rpm for about 3 seconds, then its like I shut the key off, the engine stalls or dies. All electronics look good on the dash, no oil warnings or anything. If I give it some throttle it will rev up fine, I once or twice I got it to stay running for about 8 seconds by feathering the throttle and keeping it around 3000rpm.

Doublechecked all of the sensors, everything appears to be plugged in and plugged into the correct sensor.

Any ideas warmly welcomed!

MAP stage 1.5 bottom end
DB Performance head w/ +1mm valves and supertech dual springs
Kelford cams
DW800s (freshly checked and verified by DW)
Perrin/aFe intake
Car has BBX and other misc bolt-ons but nothing insane.
Running tephra mods
Pretty basic setup! Just not sure what's wrong.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wont suggest checking any sensors because you said you went over them all but I would check with a fresh set of eyes. Some unconnected sensors can allow the car to start but will make it die almost immediately after.

I would try everything easy, what do your AFR's look like?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:57 AM
EvoM Moderator

I haven't been able to log yet, buddy has my tactrix cable. I'll have that tonight, will log it and also reflash latest known working rom onto the ecu.

Other things to try:
-rag in an IC pipe? (I'm sure I checked these, but still)
-pull valvecover, doublecheck timing

Good call on the second set of eyes, def needed.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

do you hear the fuel pump priming before completely cranking it? Im just throwing some ideas.. def too many variables at this point.. mechanical/tune
Old Dec 7, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

sounds like a vacuum issue to me because of the high erratic idle then the immediate stall. Have you double checked each of the various vacuum hoses? Always check the easy stuff first
Old Dec 7, 2010, 07:53 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by chidevildog
do you hear the fuel pump priming before completely cranking it? Im just throwing some ideas.. def too many variables at this point.. mechanical/tune
Yes, I hear the fuel pump prime.

Originally Posted by BoostedSlvrGSR
sounds like a vacuum issue to me because of the high erratic idle then the immediate stall. Have you double checked each of the various vacuum hoses? Always check the easy stuff first
It is not 'high erratic' it is a nice 1500rpm cold start idle, very smooth.

It definitely seems to be an electrical cutout of some sort.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

did you possibly stuff a rag in anything air flow related to keep dirt ect. out ? i did that once and it took me a while to figure out. it had nearly the same symptoms
Old Dec 7, 2010, 08:22 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by 3dman1
did you possibly stuff a rag in anything air flow related to keep dirt ect. out ? i did that once and it took me a while to figure out. it had nearly the same symptoms
On my list of things to check tonight.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Pull the fuel line and crank it over and see if your getting a reasonable amount of fuel? did you do anything with the pumps durring the build ? I put in a double pumper and one of my pumps fell off in my tank before the first start up due to it being a pos pump set up. The primary pump would provide a little fuel but no preasure so it wouldnt even start but its a idea of a area to look at.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:09 AM
EvoM Moderator

100% stock fuel system except for DW800 injectors. That line was a b!tch to get on, and I'm getting fuel--I turned the car over to prime the oil pump but accidentally left the injectors plugged in, smelled gas. If it's 'enough' is another question.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

???? well did you figure it out?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 08:20 PM
EvoM Moderator

Thanks for the concern! I haven't touched the car since Monday night

Work has owned me this week pretty hardcore, and I had a job interview today from 4-6pm, hoping to get home and spend some time on the car...instead the interview went until about 7:45pm, and I had to work again at 8pm, LOL!

Thursday night I'll have my tactrix cable and this todo list to check everything out. I'll report back!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have similiar issue.. but with stock engine Dw1000cc than put back the stock injectors and the same. But that Evo X dies after some minutes and than we can not start up.. only about 15minutes waiting.. until just cranking cranking and nothing..
Once we can not start up after it died try to check voltage by a meter on the fuses and relays when the car start up dont know why... but than we played with the relay and fuses while the ignition was on and the OP2.0 pluged in and dont know how but the ecu bricked ( or maybe died ) without flash as I posted in the other topic..
Before it was completly die seems like an electronic problem too
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:35 AM
EvoM Moderator

It runs! I thought it might be too low on gas so I put in a gallon of lawn-mower gas (BP93) I had and it fired right up!

BUT, then when I went to put the rest of the engine bay back together (I had it all torn apart for troubleshooting) I noticed that THE MAF WAS UNPLUGGED. With the maf plugged in, it would die after 3 seconds. With the maf unplugged, it will run! MAF voltage read about 1.2v in evoscan at idle and 1.8v when I would rev it so I'm not sure what the deal is. I'm borrowing a friend's maf sensor to see if it ultimately resolves the problem.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

lol and i almost said earlier to unplug that maf to see if that would get it to start. obviously theres something up there and patiently waiting for you to find your issue...

Quick Reply: 2008 EvoX Starts, idles perfect for 3 seconds, then dies after installing rebuilt eng