Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Calling all aftermarket Clutchs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Calling all aftermarket Clutchs

I have been searching and there is a lot of info about aftermarket clutchs but it seems to be all over the place and takes a bit to sort threw. So I would like to hear from anyone running an aftermarket clutch and their experience with them.

Act Pros and cons, 6 puck or regular

Which preasure plate

Lock out issues

Which flywheel is best

Exedy Twin set up pros and cons

I do a few track days and would like to get more into them, cars overall goal will be in the 400whp, 385 right now on stock clutch. I do not have to DD my car at this point.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy HD. Awesome pedal feel, holds a lot of power.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

I love my exedy twin plate. Most ppl complain about it though, like when i go to get an alignment. I enjoy the extra work, but that's just me
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

if your shooting for higher hp the exedy twin is the way to go. great pedal feel and holds gobs of power.

i have no experience w/ act, i am sure you have read about the pros and cons, but ill throw you my experience even though its not on your list.

i am running a clutchmasters stage 3 and fidanza LW flywheel. not a ton of evo guys i know use CM, its bigger for hondas. it hold power great, have had it for almost 40k, DD and some light racing. 330 wheel tq with plans to go bigger soon. great price and good pedal feel. overall i love it. if i had 500 to the wheels and money wasnt a concern, cant beat exedy.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedtres
if your shooting for higher hp the exedy twin is the way to go. great pedal feel and holds gobs of power.

i have no experience w/ act, i am sure you have read about the pros and cons, but ill throw you my experience even though its not on your list.

i am running a clutchmasters stage 3 and fidanza LW flywheel. not a ton of evo guys i know use CM, its bigger for hondas. it hold power great, have had it for almost 40k, DD and some light racing. 330 wheel tq with plans to go bigger soon. great price and good pedal feel. overall i love it. if i had 500 to the wheels and money wasnt a concern, cant beat exedy.
I had the Clutch Master Stage 3 as well, but it only lasted 8000 miles before it shattered. Never raced or launched.

I currently have a Exedy Stage 2 with ACT flywheel and I love it. Plan on going to a Twin Disc HD soon.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

^ wow yours shattered after 8k. damn thats not good. exedy twin is def the way to go. so far mine has held up well (knock on wood) from autoX to dd to road racing. nothing serious but fun time. ill just keep my fingers crossed haha.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exedy triple here. Good pedal, its a little tricky on stop ang go traffic and extremely noisy, but cant argue on power capacity.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the reviews guys, I really just don't want to do this more then once, unless I just decided to go crazy with power but my pocket book doesn't agree with that right now.

And I will take a review on any others that are ou there, I just went with the few I found used the most.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

ACT 6 puck sprung here, running 38 psi on an FPblack and 570whp/455wtq...holding up great so far.

The 6 puck will hold more power/torque than the exedy twin for less than half the money...it just doesn't have the driveability factor...its a great clutch though.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
ACT 6 puck sprung here, running 38 psi on an FPblack and 570whp/455wtq...holding up great so far.

The 6 puck will hold more power/torque than the exedy twin for less than half the money...it just doesn't have the driveability factor...its a great clutch though.
any further comment on the drivability factor? are we talking heavy pedal, harsh engagement, or something else?

to put things in perspective, back in the day, my 1G DSM has a ACT 2600... my Evo 8 had the ACT HDSS. Of those two, the ACT 2600 was by far the heaviest pedal. debating between the HDSS and a 6puck disc for the X... I keep reading of people who DD a 6puck... so I'm keeping that option open.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

The 6 puck is just very grabby...its tough to slip its more of an on/off switch. You get used to it though so I don't mind it at all right now.

It is also a pretty heavy peddle, but nothing terrible.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Ya I read evodaves review of it and saw you chime in there also with it being a great setup. Are you having any lock out issues into 5th?

Thanks for all the great reviews
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoeA
Ya I read evodaves review of it and saw you chime in there also with it being a great setup. Are you having any lock out issues into 5th?

Thanks for all the great reviews
I rev to 9k so I don't need 5th really...but no never had it lock out once.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Im planning on the Spec stg, 3+
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Act 6 puck here. as stated above great clutch heavy pedal but you get used to it. also still on stock cmc. have 2500 miles on it so far. I have a mangus in the garage for that day. I have the street lite flywheel as well. but knowing what i know now would have turned stocker and saved some money. it is very grabby like said above kinda like on off switch. i think it holds like 650 tq. I love mine.

Quick Reply: Calling all aftermarket Clutchs