Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kelford stage 1s with stock turbo and bolt-ons worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kelford stage 1s with stock turbo and bolt-ons worth it?

Looking into ways I could get the best of the stock turbo and doing some planning as to what direction I want to go with my car and I have been looking into cams. Has anyone installed the Kelford stage 1 (or similar) cams with just bolt-ons and stock turbo? If so what did you put down on the dyno and what kind of dyno. From what I have been seeing on a Mustang Dyno/Cobbs dyno database with full bolt-ons the MRs are making around 330whp and 345lbs.tq with a custom tune, stock cams and stock turbo.

I found a post on here where they tested these cams but thought I would ask if anyone else has installed these cams with the stock turbo and bolt-ons and found similar results.

Now I know the numbers are high in the test but its the difference I am looking at from the tune with the Stock cams, to the tune with the Kelford stage 1s.

+47hp and +43lbs.tq over tune with stock cams
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-cam-test.html

with this being said, could I expect to make 360-370whp and 375-385lbs.tq with these cams, full bolt-ons and OEM turbo on a mustang dyno... Or is that unrealistic?

Oh and also if you have a dyno sheet please post it. I want to see where these cams are making their power.

Last edited by Freebs; Dec 29, 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure, it's worth it. I'd expect to see 30whp gain, maybe 35 if you are lucky. You are going to see the biggest gains in the middle of the power band, 4,500-5,000 rpm.

Why not go with Stage 2's? They might not give you much in the low end, but the mid-range will be even stronger, and might move to 4,800-5,300.

I don't have exact #'s, but you get the idea. Plus, with Stage 2's you are set if you ever go to an aftermarket turbo.

I plan on putting in Stage 2 with my stock turbo this spring.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got the stage 1's and a few bolt-on's. I'm definitely in need on a new tune right now but, I'll see what I can find in a Dyno sheet for my car. They are worth it though since you are asking! only need the stage 2's if going to a bigger turbo.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Freebs
with this being said, could I expect to make 360-370whp and 375-385lbs.tq with these cams, full bolt-ons and OEM turbo on a mustang dyno... Or is that unrealistic?

Oh and also if you have a dyno sheet please post it. I want to see where these cams are making their power.
I doubt seriously that you will see those kind of gains with stage 1's on a stock turbo/stock block on pump gas and you definitely won't see those hp and tq numbers on pump gas on a stock turbo in an MR. If you're going to do cams do the 214b Kelfords (Stage 2). To make those numbers on an MR you will need E-85 and full bolt ons, you could make about 375-380hp and 400-410tq then with cams.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

would these cams be worth it for an fp red setup? Call me cheap but im not ready to spend the money on upgrading the valvetrain
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
345-330 WHP can be achieved with camshafts, turbo and injectors alls stock.
It is difficult to get 400HP with stock turbo and stock injectors.
Choosing the cam axle is extremely difficult.
For everyday use they are annoying to lose torque and power at lower rpm.
Generally camshafts offer a win in the top of the rpm.
I found some interesting information for the camshafts.
I mean the combination with the stock turbo.
4B11 PONCAM TYPE-R FOR MITSUBISHI EVO10
Attached Thumbnails Kelford stage 1s with stock turbo and bolt-ons worth it?-4b11gra.gif  
Old Jan 1, 2011, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Well I am not interested in loosing my bottom end. Thats the main reason for me hanging onto the OEM turbo. As it is I think the X has a very weak bottom end and I wish Mitsubishi went with a 2.5L like the STi. And obviously an engine build could fix this but that wont be until my warranty is up.

So it looks like this test was a bit more extreme than I figured. Oh well plan B if the cams weren't all what they were made out to be was Alcohol Injection... This I know coming from my 87 Buick Gnx... Spray in some 100% meth and depending on the set up its good for any where from 15-30whp.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

I'm leaning towards the GSC Stage 2's w/Supertech valve springs and retainers when I finally break down to upgrade my bump sticks. While I agree that the Kelford 214-A's might help with the mid power range on the stock turbo, if your going to do cams and are even mildly contemplating doing a turbo upgrade (in near future) it would be best to do something a bit more aggressive then what the 214-A's have to offer as to not waste Labor $$$ (unless you do your own labor) and personal time when you want to go bigger/more aggressive with your cams because your trying to squeeze more power out of your setup.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by HR2L; Jan 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM.