Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cold Air or Short Ram Intake?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cold Air or Short Ram Intake?

Looking to purchase an intake for my evo x gsr. Just want to know any opinions out there on weather I should get a cold air or short ram. As of right now I'm leaning towards the cold air. Currently looking into the AGP CAI. It's priced at 280.00 shipped, while AMS is at 500, and other brands aren't too far behind. Does any one have the AGP CAI? Any recommendations?

-Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Aem cai..peace of mind mod..does it's job well and protects more from elements
Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

funny you say that cause, I have heard the aem intake works very well, and accumulates good performance numbers. btw does it void the warranty of the evo?

Last edited by MRevolicious; Jan 3, 2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Air fresheners void warranties on evos. It all comes down to what you want to believe in, most people will tell you that unless you drive into a lake you'll be fine with a CAI. On the other hand a lot of people will tell you that your gonna hydrolock in rain storms. I remember watching a video of Hollywood spraying his pressure washer directly onto the filter when he was washing his car and it was fine.

For me it came down to peace of mind. I live in a neighborhood that floods almost every time it rains, so I went with the AMS Short Ram. The power difference between short ram and cold air intakes is very minimal so keep that in mind.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

I see what you mean. How do you like the ams? was it worth the money?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your intercooler is your cold air intake. Get the short ram
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by twinturbogreg
I've heard that short rams with boxes around them cause some sort of interference when adding lower intercooler piping. so any short ram with out a box around the air filter I should be fine with then?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

I have the AMS short ram and love it...couldn't justify the extra $200ish for a little extra pipe that might get you 2-3 more hp. When I looked at the AMS full CAI I thought hell I could go to Home Depot and make it for cheaper hahha
Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twinturbogreg
That doesn't make any sense. If your intake temp is 120 degrees with the short ram, it may exit the intercooler at 100 degrees. If the intake temp of the cold air is 115 degrees, the air exiting the intercooler with probably be less than 100 degrees since it's already starting at a lower point.

I don't get your logic. How will a cold air intake NOT help you lower the air temp after the intercooler?

I just used numbers for reference as an example.

Originally Posted by BaumBizzle
I have the AMS short ram and love it...couldn't justify the extra $200ish for a little extra pipe that might get you 2-3 more hp. When I looked at the AMS full CAI I thought hell I could go to Home Depot and make it for cheaper hahha
Right, it's probably not much more HP. It's not all about HP though. There is just more oxygen in cooler air which helps the car run better. You can run more timing, etc...

While it might not be allot of difference, it will help those who want to maximize their setups. Is it worth the cost? That's up to you....

One more point...did you guys see the mesh screen replacement for the plastic covering in the bumper, next to the drivers side fog light? It will replace the plastic covering, and allow direct airflow to a cold air setup. How would that not benefit your car, getting clean air straight through the bumper.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

Run the AEM intake
It's a very well built piece and will probably be good enough for most people.
I'm running it on a BBX full and E85 to 30psi
Plus in California, the stealth factor is nice too
Old Jan 5, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

i had the short ram ams, then on my new X i went with the cold air intake. Both are great products and to be honest, i wanted something that in the summer would do better when getting on the car a little. CAI will do that better then a short ram.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:42 PM

i really dont think what type of intake u get short ram or cai once it goes through the intercooler the air is gonna come out the same temp.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:34 PM

having exactly the same issue now, wgich to choose, think i will go AMS cold air kit unless michael @ ETS can convince me otherwise !

joe
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:56 PM

The tuner I go to recommends the ETS - he said there is no reason for the more expensive ones.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:12 PM
RiG
Evolving Member

I have the AEM and my car made 339 AWHP on pump gas @25psi with that intake and an electric cut out before the cat. Thats it. This was at RRE. I never dynoed it with the stock intake though.

Quick Reply: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake?