Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Downpipe and manifold ?'s

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Downpipe and manifold ?'s

So I have a downpipe but not one that incorporates the O2 housing, and I recently purchases a tubular exhaust manifold. As I read through how-to pages I'm thinking I need to swap out the O2 housing but the only one I can find is Megan Racings. Should I but that or is it crap? How much better would the Megan housing or a diff DP w/ O2 housing incorporated flow? Also, going on man hours it'd prob be in my best interest to swap the turbo when installing the exh mani huh? (not just for more HP, more like since I'm there...). Finally, if I bought the megan O2 housing would there be a benefit in getting it ceremic coated or would that be a waste?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

I think you need to decide where you want your car to go. Why did you buy a tubular manifold? Which one did you buy? On a stock turbo, a tubular is kinda dumb, and saying you'll upgrade the turbo 'just cause you're in there' is a bad reason to spend a few thousand dollars. And as for the DP, don't but the megan crap, either sell your dp and get the AMS widemouth, or get the ETS/UR downpipes. MAP makes one that looks decent as well.

Do you want more power? What is your power goal? What type of driving do you do? Do you want OMG ZOOOOMMG torque down low w/ no top end b/c its a street car, or more moderate tq with big top end for drag, or in between for road racing?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

^+1 Get an AMS or ETS downpipe. I would avoid Megan Racing. Their stuff has been known to crack and is crap.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

turbo xs has a cast bellmouth downpipe now priced nicely
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Buschur has a very nice coated O2 housing that is allegedly much bigger than stock. It's kind of pricey, though.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by UT_EvoX
Buschur has a very nice coated O2 housing that is allegedly much bigger than stock. It's kind of pricey, though.
Megan's is very similar, but uncoated. Buschur does use a quality coating though that seems to hold up really well.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Would the Megan one do the same job if I got it coated out in town? My plan is for road racing and more power in the top end. Don't really for see me racing red light to red light, however if you're on the HWY and ol boy pulls up next to you just puttin it down to 3rd and taking off is pretty sweet!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Do you want more power? What is your power goal? What type of driving do you do? Do you want OMG ZOOOOMMG torque down low w/ no top end b/c its a street car, or more moderate tq with big top end for drag, or in between for road racing?[/quote]

who doesn't want more power? haha, my goal is about 400wheel. I like tq down low how ever I love the slam you in your seat tq when the boost hits. All in all like I posted above, I'd like power in between leaning towards more up top....
Old Jan 5, 2011, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

who doesn't want more power? haha, my goal is about 400wheel. I like tq down low how ever I love the slam you in your seat tq when the boost hits. All in all like I posted above, I'd like power in between leaning towards more up top....[/quote]

If 400 wheel is your goal, you're doing it wrong. Sell/return the tubular. Purchase an FP Green and AMS/ETS downpipe. Make sure your fuel is sorted out. And you'll have for low end kick from tq, and ~400 wheel is possible if you have all the bolt-ons. The tubular is working against you on this, thats too low a power goal to need a new manifold.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

MAP downpipes are also an option. They are priced very well and now have the option of 02 dump.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

So the general consensus is I effed up and should get a new dp that incorporates the O2 housing? From reading pages the HP gains I should see are about 10-15whp in the uppper range, how much difference would I notice getting the different DP w/ O2 housing? What I'm getting at is would the cost of a new DP justify the HP gain....
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

probably not, no. but you also bought an 800+ tubular for a stock turbo, so...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Here are my gains going from stock o2 housing/downpipe to MAP's o2 elim downpipe (stock turbo, pump gas):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ven-gains.html
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

right, and he already has a DP, just not the o2. So figure he's already got half those gains. IDK if I'd pay another 400+ for 3 ft/lbs and 5 hp. Spend 1600 on a green/red, there's your real gain
Old Jan 5, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah that's the plan w/ tax returns is to go w/ a Red....

Quick Reply: Downpipe and manifold ?'s