Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AEM TruBoost, unable to change boost pressure

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AEM TruBoost, unable to change boost pressure

I recently purchased my 08 GSR which has an AEM TruBoost gauge/controller and Cobb AP among other bolt ons. The gauge seems to operate fine in terms of displaying boost pressure but I can't seem to make any noticeable change to the boost. Right now it spikes to 15-16psi and tapers off to about 13psi through to redline, which afaik is the stock boost level. Program modes a and b are both set to 65% duty cycle. I tried raising mode A by 10% which made no appreciable difference in boost level. Yes, I'm sure I'm in mode A, though I did try mode B as well just in case. The ECU had been flashed to stock by the dealership before I bought it, so I used my Cobb AP to flash one of the presets for my mods and octane which is supposed to increase boost pressure to 19psi, but no such luck for me.

It's possible that the original owner simply set up the tru boost as a gauge without installing the solenoid, but even so flashing the ECU should allow me to manipulate my boost, right? Any ideas?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:34 AM

have you figured out the problem yet? If not it can try getting a 3-port controller
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:36 PM

I also have an Aem boost controller. What happens on the evo x is that there are 2 solenoids that run for the boost controller. Not sure exactly where they are but according to the shop I went to the ecu and the solenoids work together and if one is different from the other the car will resist the change. Is your car tuned yet or does it just have the tru boost controller?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:16 PM

I figured it out. The dealer had reconnected the factory solenoids but for some reason I don't know the factory solenoids weren't functioning at all. The truboost solenoid was still connected to power however, so I just ran vacuum tubes to the aem solenoid. Also had to remove a piece of factory tubing near the wastegate that had a restrictor pill and splitter as it was causing me to overboost pretty badly. Runs much better now, but I still need to get it tuned since the cobb maps I have don't change the boost levels as it isn't ecu controlled anymore.