Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car wont run....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car wont run...

****MODS I AM GOING TO POST THIS IN BOTH ENGINE/DRIVETERAIN and TUNING FORUM AS I AM NIT SURE IF IT IS A MECHANICAL RELATED ISSUE OR ECU RELATED*******

Hello guys, i need your input on this one..

At our shop we just finished a complete build on a 2008 USDM evo X rom ID 52680015. The build included a built 2.0L 9.0 compression. FP red, DW 1000cc injectors, intercooler, piping, kelford 214b etc etc.
Please keep in mind that this is not the first build we do, this is probably the 3rd complete build with simmilar parts we have done in the past 5 weeks where all the builds went smooth. Except this one....so here is the deal:

The car would start up and idle really smooth on the base map that i have set up, the fuel trim on idle is within +/- 2%. The afr on idle fluctuates between 14 and 15 and spends most of its time at around 14.5 which is good. However after the car idles for approximately 7 mins and get up to operating temps; the car hiccs-up and dies instantly with out a warning.
If i balance the throttle with my foot i can maintain the smooth idle however as soon as i lift my foot, the car dies immediately.

If i start the car up, the car will start however,unlike before, it will now die immediately. The only way to make it run again is to disconnect the battery and wait for about 10 to 15 mins before i can start it up where it will repeat the exact same scenario of idling for a couple mins and suddenly die and not idle on the next start-up.... over and over.

I tried everything that could have come to my mind and i am sure there is something that i am over looking
I swapped out the stock injectors back and put back the stock scale and latencies setting, changed out the fuel pump, changed out the maf, changed out the old fuel relay to the new blue one. I even swapped out the throttle body and while doing so, i noticed that the throttle bodies temp is extremely high...it was very hot to touch, for reference i could not keep my hand on it for more than 4 seconds. So i was thinking that the battery disconnect for ten to fifteen minutes is not actually doing anything but giving the throttle body enugh time to cool back down becuase if i disconnect the battery for approx. 5 minutes, the car will not idle at all..it has to stay shut for approximate 10+ mins. i also looked at the coolant lines going from the Radiator to the throttle body and they look fine and in pressure...but is the throttle body suppose to get that hot?

Thanks alot in advance guys and sorry for the long thread just wanted to explain the situation the best way i can.

Best regards
Moosa

Last edited by dxbevo9; Jan 31, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Question Car wont run....

****MODS I AM GOING TO POST THIS IN BOTH ENGINE/DRIVETERAIN and TUNING FORUM AS I AM NIT SURE IF IT IS A MECHANICAL RELATED ISSUE OR ECU RELATED*******

Hello guys, i need your input on this one..

At our shop we just finished a complete build on a 2008 USDM evo X rom ID 52680015. The build included a built 2.0L 9.0 compression. FP red, DW 1000cc injectors, intercooler, piping, kelford 214b etc etc.
Please keep in mind that this is not the first build we do, this is probably the 3rd complete build with simmilar parts we have done in the past 5 weeks where all the builds went smooth. Except this one....so here is the deal:

The car would start up and idle really smooth on the base map that i have set up, the fuel trim on idle is within +/- 2%. The afr on idle fluctuates between 14 and 15 and spends most of its time at around 14.5 which is good. However after the car idles for approximately 7 mins and get up to operating temps; the car hiccs-up and dies instantly with out a warning.
If i balance the throttle with my foot i can maintain the smooth idle however as soon as i lift my foot, the car dies immediately.

If i start the car up, the car will start however,unlike before, it will now die immediately. The only way to make it run again is to disconnect the battery and wait for about 10 to 15 mins before i can start it up where it will repeat the exact same scenario of idling for a couple mins and suddenly die and not idle on the next start-up.... over and over.

I tried everything that could have come to my mind and i am sure there is something that i am over looking
I swapped out the stock injectors back and put back the stock scale and latencies setting, changed out the fuel pump, changed out the maf, changed out the old fuel relay to the new blue one. I even swapped out the throttle body and while doing so, i noticed that the throttle bodies temp is extremely high...it was very hot to touch, for reference i could not keep my hand on it for more than 4 seconds. So i was thinking that the battery disconnect for ten to fifteen minutes is not actually doing anything but giving the throttle body enugh time to cool back down becuase if i disconnect the battery for approx. 5 minutes, the car will not idle at all..it has to stay shut for approximate 10+ mins. i also looked at the coolant lines going from the Radiator to the throttle body and they look fine and in pressure...but is the throttle body suppose to get that hot?

Thanks alot in advance guys and sorry for the long thread just wanted to explain the situation the best way i can.

Best regards
Moosa
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

I sent you a PM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

no ideas from anyone?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 08:28 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd say its more likely ECU related, but possibly an unplugged sensor.

Are you sure the MAF, MAP, and O2 are plugged in?

Did you try just dropping your latency and scaling in a fresh 52680022 ROM and seeing if it would run after that? Those would be my first steps.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
I'd say its more likely ECU related, but possibly an unplugged sensor.

Are you sure the MAF, MAP, and O2 are plugged in?

Did you try just dropping your latency and scaling in a fresh 52680022 ROM and seeing if it would run after that? Those would be my first steps.
All are plugged in Fosty...

I tried running different roms before but i havent tried this one..would you be able to email me this rom please? moosa@pandaperformance.com

Thanks in advance.

I am running the stock injectors until i get this sorted
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:24 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I posted the rom here: http://thefrost.net/randomfiles/tuni...EW_OEM_ROM.zip

You can also just try an unmodified 15 rom to isolate the issue.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Fosty...for some wierd reason my winzip is not able to extract the file in that link..it says file is invalid..
However here is an update...i ran rom 53040010 in the car and it still did the same..then i remembered that we are running the huge mishimoto radiator in the car and a lower temp thernostat so i tackled the issue by simply rasing the rpm a little bit. Its now running and idling fine, however i still need to tackle a hiccup that is happening (sometimes) at take off from complete stop.

I would still like to try the 52680022 rom in this car and i would really appreciate it if you or anyone else for that matter can email it to me.

Thanks in advance buddy!!