Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATTN all X owners: factory transfer case fluid

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2010 evo had this issue. Fluid was discharged from transfer case breather and ending up on exhaust/converter with strong burning oil smell. Visually there was oil around T/C breather and fluid was captured in cavities on top of transfer case. Fluid was blown backward from driving and ended up on exhaust. Dealer reported factory overfill. This appears to be true, as fluid (on my car) is no longer leaking.

On a side note: I believe some Evo X's had the O-ring seal between the gearbox and the Transfer case leak, which caused Gearbox fluid to leak into the transfer case causing overfill. You can see the transfer case breather from inside engine compartment (way back) with a flashlight and mirror.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:42 PM

Just had this problem taken care of a few weeks ago. Have 19k on the evo right now. Was getting an alignment when we noticed the leak. As always the guys at Don Herring took care of me. When we pulled the plug fluid was gushing out. Way overfilled.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfer case leak??

I had a weird problem the other day... My 2010 Evo has 4,000 miles on it. I have been reading about the T-case factory over fill.. Well for the first time I took my car over 100mph... I pulled it to about 115... No hard launch no nothin... just pure acceleration. As I slowed the car back down at the stop sign I saw some smoke coming up from the hood vent.... Very shocked I pulled over and jumped out to find a weird smelling smoke... not oil... So I shined a light down near the t-case and I could see what I think is t-case oil on the case.. it dripped a little on the exhaust and that's what the smoke was from. With all this said I have read there has been reports of a t-case over fill... and there is a vent on top of the transfer case. Is it possible my t-case just simply vented a little fluid out this vent or did I blow a seal?? I have not crawled under the car yet so I'm still not sure what happen. Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Definitely overfilled, remove the fill plug to drain excess immediately before serious damage is done.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Or better yet have Mitsubishi tow it to the dealership, fully inspect, and document under warranty.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Did mitsu issue a statement concerning this?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Get Rad
Did mitsu issue a statement concerning this?
I don't think so...at least not yet....maybe they will have an official TSB or even official recall, if it becomes more widespread

Dealerships work very closely with the manufacture to make sure everything is in check. So if a dealer gets alot of warranty claims for bunch of T-cases for the Evo X, that raises a red flag....they will probably send engineers down to go over throughly. If the mitsu dealers get enough cases of bad t cases due to defects, they may or may not enact a recall/tsb...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven88
I don't think so...at least not yet....maybe they will have an official TSB or even official recall, if it becomes more widespread

Dealerships work very closely with the manufacture to make sure everything is in check. So if a dealer gets alot of warranty claims for bunch of T-cases for the Evo X, that raises a red flag....they will probably send engineers down to go over throughly. If the mitsu dealers get enough cases of bad t cases due to defects, they may or may not enact a recall/tsb...
Mitsubishi enact a recall for a drivetrain component???!!!! BWAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Ain't gonna happen.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by black95tt
Mitsubishi enact a recall for a drivetrain component???!!!! BWAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Ain't gonna happen.
lol, yes I'll agree with you....sad, but true

I was just merely explained how the process is "supposed" to go....but I doubt Mitsu will do anything....
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by black95tt
You obviously weren't a DSMer...Mitsu did issue a safety recall on those transfer cases. I honestly doubt we'll see a recall on this, if anything just a TSB instructing dealers to check the fluid level.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

So personal opinion, mine is leaking. I have ~32k but its not making any noises. I have slight mods so I dont wanna chance going to the dealer and getting my warranty voided. If it comes to that, I can just put the stock parts back on.

So the question, should I just unscrew the fill plug? If I do end up taking it to the dealer, they'll know i did it and void my warranty. Decisions decisions.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

By not doing it they'll know you didn't follow the scheduled maintenance and deny your claim for that. Just take it in now and have it dealt with.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

you should be changing that fluid at 30k....at 15k if you go by "severe" driving

so i would say get it in there asap....and let them deal with it....they should not void your warranty because you have mods...that is, assuming the mods are not related to the t-case...i don't really see any mods having anything to do with the t case though....unless its like a full blown turbo setup with over 150whp extra than stock....they can make the argument that extra power made the t case weaker
Old Apr 5, 2011, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

any pic. TC breather??
Old Apr 5, 2011, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
By not doing it they'll know you didn't follow the scheduled maintenance and deny your claim for that. Just take it in now and have it dealt with.
well, i bought the car 6 weeks ago with 31+k miles on it, ill take care of it this weekend.

Quick Reply: ATTN all X owners: factory transfer case fluid