Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATTN all X owners: factory transfer case fluid

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I added it to this sticky in Evo X General: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ssues-etc.html
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoops, totally missed it. Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked my fluids after a whine/howl/ metal rattling that only happens when the clutch is engaged and certain throttle positions, and i can only hear it during accel. The fluid was about 2.5 times overfilled. I thought my issue was the diff pins but seems it might be the T-case now. O great...

Kracka, did it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FKJKhfhrj6A
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Tough to tell from the video, but yes, my did have a howl like that. Started very faint then got much louder as time went on.

Did draining the excess fluid help with the noise? Hopefully permanent damage wasn't done, but you might want to start discussions with your dealership now and get a replacement lined up.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

I've got a slight whine on mine at different rpms under accel/deceleration already. Got only about 1150 miles on it. Guessing my best bet is to just take it in and have the dealership look at it. Is this something that would show up or cause damage this early? I've only recently been going up above 6k or so rpms and have maybe pulled only a handful of WOT pulls since it's been above 1k miles. Now I'm super paranoid I've caused permanent damage.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Have it checked ASAP, just in case.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Is the overfilling what causes the "evo death whine" that I'm reading about?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Would driving the car any certain way have any effect on this until I can get in the shop? Ie should I stay away from down shifting, low gears, high rpms, etc.?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone get a photo of this breather yet?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Kracka- yes for a little bit, ima throw some OEM oil in there n see if it goes away.

seems like the overfill case is causing the T-case to go out, but its pretty surprising that you only have 1150 miles and it's making the noise. I wouldnt worry too much man, just bring it to the dealer and have them look at it.

Looks like ima have to turn the car stock n try the dealership route for now.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sfearl1
Is the overfilling what causes the "evo death whine" that I'm reading about?
It's one of the causes.
Originally Posted by sfearl1
Would driving the car any certain way have any effect on this until I can get in the shop? Ie should I stay away from down shifting, low gears, high rpms, etc.?
Speed dependent, seems like high speed blasts are the final straw. My friend was 100+ on the track and I was traveling on a Texas tollway.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

i may be overreacting... i think every manual i've driven has that initial transmission "whine" in 1st gear up to about 3-4k ... i listened a little closer today and that's all i think i'm hearing. there is a little "road noise" at higher speeds that goes away when i engage the clutch... probably nothing. i'll pay attention to see if it gets worse. i'm going in at 2k for an alignment so i'll see what's up then.
Old May 13, 2011, 09:18 PM

Don't want to bump an old thread, but I have some useful information for 2011 GSR owners. I just checked my transfer case fluid level by removing the fill plug and....

NOTHING CAME OUT.

Now, while this n=1 experiment may lead all the rest of the 2011 owners that the factory workers wised up and have begun to fill the TCs correctly, this is just my experience. Hopefully, they have rectified the issue completely, but I would still recommend to check it for the peace of mind.

My build date is Dec 2010 btw, and I didn't have any of the weird noises that seem to herald problems. Now off to put in the redline cocktail in the transmission!
Old May 13, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by techmaster
Don't want to bump an old thread, but I have some useful information for 2011 GSR owners. I just checked my transfer case fluid level by removing the fill plug and....

NOTHING CAME OUT.

Now, while this n=1 experiment may lead all the rest of the 2011 owners that the factory workers wised up and have begun to fill the TCs correctly, this is just my experience. Hopefully, they have rectified the issue completely, but I would still recommend to check it for the peace of mind.

My build date is Dec 2010 btw, and I didn't have any of the weird noises that seem to herald problems. Now off to put in the redline cocktail in the transmission!
Good to know this...
Old May 13, 2011, 10:19 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm gonna try and check mine this weekend. I have one of the last Evo's from Japan (just left the dock before the Tsunami), so we'll at least know if they figured it out by the end.

Quick Reply: ATTN all X owners: factory transfer case fluid