Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATTN all X owners: factory transfer case fluid

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Just tighten it, I've never torqued a drain or fill plug to spec. I can guarantee you no shop or dealership will either. This is no harder than changing your own oil...actually, it's easier.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zombie Killer
Ok thanks. The fill plug is to the aft of the motor in the trans? How would I know 24 ft lbs? **** it, taking it to a shop.
I wouldn't worry much about the exact torque.. just don't be an asshat and over-tighten/strip it when you tighten it on there.. and to cover the other half.. make sure it is on tight enough to not come off
Old May 16, 2011, 04:27 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MOREPSiTEHBETT4
why not measure out exactly how much you need and just push the fluid in wiht pressure?

what he said just didn't sound concise...that's all
That's just the method for all tcases and differentials. You don't want to measure it, because you never know how much is left in there, you could overfill it.

If the car is level, and you fill the tcase and let it drip out..... it has the perfect amount in it.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this fool proof to check? I don't have any way to get under my car and it be level so I will have to have a shop do it for me. But I just hope they don't mess it up. It looks as though from the illustration on the preceding page that as long as they take out the right bolt there will be no way to drain it too much. As long as the car is level and the right bolt is taken out I should be good, yeah?
Old May 17, 2011, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by supergouki
Is this fool proof to check? I don't have any way to get under my car and it be level so I will have to have a shop do it for me. But I just hope they don't mess it up. It looks as though from the illustration on the preceding page that as long as they take out the right bolt there will be no way to drain it too much. As long as the car is level and the right bolt is taken out I should be good, yeah?
are you doing a t-case fluid change, or just a check?

if you are doing a check, then just pull the "fill" plug out...if no fluid comes out, you are fine...plug it back in and be on your way...if fluid comes out, wait till everything comes, then plug it back in

if you are at 15k, you should look into getting the fluid changed...might as well since its going on the rack
Old May 17, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by migs647
That's just the method for all tcases and differentials. You don't want to measure it, because you never know how much is left in there, you could overfill it.

If the car is level, and you fill the tcase and let it drip out..... it has the perfect amount in it.
ahh ok, thx.
Old May 17, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by techmaster
Nice. I hope everything works out. I have 17xx miles on mine as well...great minds think alike
mine was a-okkk

good peace of mind right there.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:59 PM

A little late to the party, but just checked my '10 SE at 1400 miles, and it was bang on.
Just adding it to the different variety of years/model data in this thread if anyone is keeping track.

OT: also had my alignment checked. Front was accurate, LR toe was out by about .08"
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:01 PM

I had a leak at 35k miles on an 08 on my TC.

Dealer took many visits to isolate the issue - idiots. TC was probably damaged over time due to this.

Finally they Resealed output shaft seal at 41k miles. Later still leaked. Probably was never reassembled 100%.

At 43k whine of death started. I Confirmed with acoustic analysis was TC at a race shop. Sounded very bad.

Went to a recommended dealer with best Evo tech in town. Took him one hour, got call back, new TC on it's way for replacement next week. The TC was completely dead, internal magnets were shattered.

Amazing there are so many issues with these TC's.

I'm assuming the level will perfect this time around.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

I've been such a bad owner. 61k miles and no transfer case fluid change.

I'll make it up this weekend!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:22 AM
b3n
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crashway2many
This happened to me. At 20k a seal blew out in my transfer case. I had to have the whole transfer case replaced. They said the cause was that it was over filled.
Did it look anything like this?

Just took my car in this morning to have this looked at. Didn't even bother checking the fluid level, seems like the damage is already done.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ouch what do you plan to do? warranty?

update on my situation: 18k miles 2 track days, fluid spewing out and overflowed. Decided to change it out. Making nasty whirling and howling noises on accel and 40+ cruise. Now the sound comes slowing down to a stop.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by itznoraa

update on my situation: 18k miles 2 track days, fluid spewing out and overflowed. Decided to change it out. Making nasty whirling and howling noises on accel and 40+ cruise. Now the sound comes slowing down to a stop.
so its too late?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:19 PM
b3n
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by itznoraa
My dealership claimed the oil in my driveway was from the oil pan plug leaking, that got replaced. This particular problem was not addressed as Mitsu won't do anything about it because it's 'seepage' and not a full 'leak'. So far no more oil stains in my driveway, but I'm going to wait another few days to see if the 'seepage' gets any worse.

Last edited by b3n; Jun 16, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:21 PM

I'm having my t-case replaced because of a loud grinding noise when turning...didn't have the chance to check the fluid level but it could be due to that...

Quick Reply: ATTN all X owners: factory transfer case fluid