Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

which downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I would be interested to see how the volume change due to the bellmouth affects back pressure both in the bellmouth and in the exhaust pipe
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Okay first off you cant compare two different cars setups and make any kind of judgment. Second, MY opinion is if you want a o2 dump go with ets. If you dont want an O2 dump go with AMS. ETS changed the flange design awhile back to be the same shape of the wastegate size tapering down to there standard pipe size. This would be the best route to go if you want a divorced style dp. All other divorced style that i have seen, the flange opening at the wastegate is the same size as the standard tube welded to the flange. I would think this would cause alot of backpressure and turbulence (haha) since all the exhaust gases can not go directly down the dp. Compare the ETS dp to another brand.

"other" brand

ETS

Now with AMS!!! AMS is the shortest downpipe and thats an awesome positive. The shortest route to the atmosphere would be the best.

Last edited by rrkpitt15; Apr 11, 2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 3D flange won't affect performance output in any way as that area is strictly to vent wastegate exhaust gases. The purpose of that 3d contour is to prevent boost creep, however we have yet to have a customer report an issue with boost creep on the Evo X platform therefore we decided to stick with the flange we have and keep costs down.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rrkpitt15
Okay first off you cant compare two different cars setups and make any kind of judgment. Second, MY opinion is if you want a o2 dump go with ets. If you dont want an O2 dump go with AMS. ETS changed the flange design awhile back to be the same shape of the wastegate size tapering down to there standard pipe size. This would be the best route to go if you want a divorced style dp. All other divorced style that i have seen, the flange opening at the wastegate is the same size as the standard tube welded to the flange. I would think this would cause alot of backpressure and turbulence (haha) since all the exhaust gases can not go directly down the dp. Compare the ETS dp to another brand.

"other" brand
Way to use my picture and not quote the source nor brand.

From a purely visual standpoint both the MAP and ETS designs are very good and I'd put either on my car, but after holding them side-by-side in my own two hands I'm going to have to give the slight edge to MAP for their smoother merging of the wastegate gasses back into the main exhaust flow.

Last edited by Kracka; Apr 12, 2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

My source was google pictures and i did not want people to think i was criticizing any particular brand since I am buying alot of parts through MAP. Adam from MAP is an awesome guy and I would recommend MAP services to anyone.

Last edited by rrkpitt15; Apr 12, 2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Yes he is, I'll he having lunch with him next Tuesday...
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
Way to use my picture and not quote the source nor brand.

From a purely visual standpoint both the MAP and ETS designs are very good and I'd put either on my car, but after holding them side-by-side in my own two hands I'm going to have to give the slight edge to MAP for their smoother merging of the wastegate gasses back into the main exhaust flow.
I'm not sure how the MAP has a smoother merge then ours. If you notice our downpipe has a curve in it and right where the curve ends the wastegate dump merges allowing the wastegate gases to flow smoothly with the exhaust gases.

Like all of our products we design them in Solid works and use flow dynamics to make sure everything flows in perfect harmony. We also do real world testing on each one of our products. Below is an animation from flow dynamics showing our downpipe has a smooth exhaust and wastegate flow.

We do this research on all of our products, we just don't do the best job releasing all of our test data.

We have found the tapered inlet to reduce boost spike which is critical on pump gas tunes where you only want to see around 24psi, where a standard downpipe spikes to around 27-28psi ours will only spike to around 25-26psi. This will play a larger role when you start using upgraded stock frame turbochargers.

The good thing is! You can also purchase our products directly from MAP. We have a great working relationship with them.

If anyone has questions, let me know!

Thanks,

Michael
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Very good data Michael, thanks for posting! My observation was merely a personal note I made to myself when looking at the two. It would be very interesting to see similar data for a large bellmouth opening like AMS'.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have made over 520whp on pump gas and over 540 on E85 with an FP Black and ETS downpipe.. It works VERY WELL. Unlike ETS who has the engineering degree all i can do is install them, test them and choose what works best for us.. So far the ETS VTA 02 housing downpipe has produced the best #'s for us..

Here is the chart on only 28psi Pump Gas..

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Apr 12, 2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
We have made over 520whp on pump gas and over 540 on E85 with an FP Black and ETS downpipe.. It works VERY WELL. Unlike ETS who has the engineering degree all i can do is install them, test them and choose what works best for us.. So far the ETS VTA 02 housing downpipe has produced the best #'s for us..
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

It seems to me that the gains on all these downpipes are very similar. Seems to be in the 5-10hp range from what I've seen and the only thing in common between all of them is that the post-o2 housing portion is 3" in diameter instead of the stock 2.5". Maybe that's where all the gains are being made and not necessarily the o2 housing design? Just my 2 cents.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmondoh
It seems to me that the gains on all these downpipes are very similar. Seems to be in the 5-10hp range from what I've seen and the only thing in common between all of them is that the post-o2 housing portion is 3" in diameter instead of the stock 2.5". Maybe that's where all the gains are being made and not necessarily the o2 housing design? Just my 2 cents.

Thoughts?
I have dyno sheets of ONLY 02 housing change from stock to ETS and have ~35+hp.. Let me look for the dyno sheet before and after so i can get the #'s right..
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:21 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I admit I am envious of the ETS dp, it's really sweet. That said, I would rather walk over pins and needles than change my O2 DP out again, HAHA!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I admit I am envious of the ETS dp, it's really sweet. That said, I would rather walk over pins and needles than change my O2 DP out again, HAHA!
Which do you have right now?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:13 AM

Thanks for all of the extra info ETS. Really excited to put my ets recirc dp on once my car gets out of the body shop.

Quick Reply: which downpipe?