Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Twin Disc or ACT HD 6 Pad?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy Twin Disc or ACT HD 6 Pad?

Im up in the air on what clutch I want. If anyone has experience with either one or both, and can tell me what they thought of them.

I heard a lot of good things about the Exedy Twin Disc. Havent heard much about the ACT HD 6 Pad. I heard the ACT HD 6 Pad can hold as much power as the Exedy Twin Disc but it cheaper. What are everyone elses thoughts?

The car is my DD and will see soon track time. Im just under 400whp right now and plan on getting between 450 and 500whp soon.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you launch your car get the ACT.

The ACT 6 puck will hold more torque and take more abuse than the exedy twin...but will be tougher to drive. I am used to mine and it doesn't bother me at all, I think its pretty easy to drive and it doesn't chatter really at all.

The exedy twin will drive like stock basically and hold quite a bit of torque, but you will burn through it launching. We have seen many examples locally of the ACT holding up much better to higher torque and launching. But again it doesn't drive as easy.

If you care about stop and go traffic (The ACT isn't too bad in traffic imo)and want a really easy clutch then get the twin....as long as you don't mind the big price tag.

Also, you will want to upgrade the MC for sure with the exedy twin...however the ACT 6 puck we have quite a few people locally still running the stock MC..so you save there too.

Honestly, unless you really care about a smooth clutch get the 6 puck.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info. Thats what I was looking for.

I already have the SSP CMC Upgrade.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

I run the 6 puck w/ streetlite fly wheel. i am still on stock CMC, however i have a magnus on in garage for just in case. The act 6 puck is more like an on/off switch. either you are engaged or not... different to get used to the new engagement, especially from a dead stop. i love mine. good luck on your venture.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
I run the 6 puck w/ streetlite fly wheel. i am still on stock CMC, however i have a magnus on in garage for just in case. The act 6 puck is more like an on/off switch. either you are engaged or not... different to get used to the new engagement, especially from a dead stop. i love mine. good luck on your venture.
Have you ever launch your car with the 6 puck?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

And see I feel completly different. I would rather have a twin disk that a 6 puck clutch. To me the pedal pressure is so much nicer for driving than a 6 puck. I find it hard to understand how someone could say that with a 6 puck you do not have to worry about upgrading a CMC.

One of my biggest reasons to go with a twin disk is how it saves my transmission. Yes you pay a little more for a twin disk up front but you end up paying less down the road in my experiences. I could not get my last car to shift over about 7800 when using a 6 puck. With the twin disk it was completly smooth shifting around 8.8-9k which was where I was shifting at. Granted you probably don't daily drive shift that hight but your 1-2 shifts can be in excess of 7.8k

This is just my experience as others may have different experiences. In the end you just have to weigh the pro/cons of each and decide which one is more suited for your use.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
twin no question.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by droppinbottom
And see I feel completly different. I would rather have a twin disk that a 6 puck clutch. To me the pedal pressure is so much nicer for driving than a 6 puck. I find it hard to understand how someone could say that with a 6 puck you do not have to worry about upgrading a CMC.

One of my biggest reasons to go with a twin disk is how it saves my transmission. Yes you pay a little more for a twin disk up front but you end up paying less down the road in my experiences. I could not get my last car to shift over about 7800 when using a 6 puck. With the twin disk it was completly smooth shifting around 8.8-9k which was where I was shifting at. Granted you probably don't daily drive shift that hight but your 1-2 shifts can be in excess of 7.8k

This is just my experience as others may have different experiences. In the end you just have to weigh the pro/cons of each and decide which one is more suited for your use.
The exedy twin never ceases to break the Evo X CMC...the ACT 6 puck has multiple people running on the stock CMC.

I shift at 9k all the time...zero issues with my 6puck.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the advice. Im leaning towards the Twin Disc.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Would you guys recommend converting to the Evo 8/9 CMC with the Magnus conversion kit, instead of buying the SSP CMC(saw quite a few people having issues with it)?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

I have launched it a few times. seems to be easier. Magnus from what i have seen uses the IX cmc with their adapter.

droppinbottom....not a matter of not worrying about not replacing the CMC, i worry about it when i launch. every owner of an aftermarket clutch worries about it. those that have certain clutches KNOW they will be replacing theirs. others it is possible, mostly based on how you drive. i have 9k miles on my 6 puck and have had zero issues with my stock cmc, but that dont mean that someone with a new 6 puck ACT won't blow theirs out in the first month or so.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l888apex
Would you guys recommend converting to the Evo 8/9 CMC with the Magnus conversion kit, instead of buying the SSP CMC(saw quite a few people having issues with it)?
I got the SSP CMC Upgrade and its working great for me, but if it goes, I'm getting the Magnus CMC.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Looks like I will be going with the Magnus evo 8/9 CMC conversion kit/adapter
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

the act lockout issues were with older cars, noone with an X has had high-rpm lockout with the 6 puck. I went act, and would again. Also magnus cmc, I don't trust SSP products.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My ACT 6 puck was toast at 40k miles, but what was most scary was that even though it held the power, it was down to the rivets and about to self destruct. There was a crack through the clutch disc but the flywheel and pressure plate looked perfectly fine.

All I can say is that I'm glad I had an Exedy HD twin installed before disaster struck. I had threespeed send me one of their new stainless steel scattershields for testing and we are just making tweaks for final production. The thing fits like a glove and if disaster strikes you won't send shrapnel through your entire engine bay.