Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Well my clutch is done.. replacements?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Well my clutch is done.. replacements?

It slipped REALLY bad in a 2nd gear pull tonight. I need to replace it with a clutch that isn't going to explode my CMC. What clutch are you guys running with the stock CMC. I heard exedy breaks it most of the time. Act w/ performancestreet disc?

I'm not really going for crazy high power. It's my DD and I want something very streetable.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 2 exedy will definitely kill your CMC fast!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

^^Yea that's what I've been hearing. I really don't want to replace my CMC until there is a proven replacement that lasts because I can't have a whole lot of downtime..

What about the ACT clutches?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

i have ACT 6 puck with streetlite fly wheel. i am still on stock CMC with 10k miles. I am hard on my car at times. But this clutch is more of an on / off switch. maybe street disk would be better for you. of your on a budget, turn your fly wheel or get a MAP flywheel. they are rebuildable. Whatever your decision on clutch, give MAP a call and ask for Adam. they are the cheapest, best customer service alot of us have had. really good guys there.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
i have ACT 6 puck with streetlite fly wheel. i am still on stock CMC with 10k miles. I am hard on my car at times. But this clutch is more of an on / off switch. maybe street disk would be better for you. of your on a budget, turn your fly wheel or get a MAP flywheel. they are rebuildable. Whatever your decision on clutch, give MAP a call and ask for Adam. they are the cheapest, best customer service alot of us have had. really good guys there.
Hmm.. This is like what I wanted to hear. I'll prolly be going with an ACT street disk. I hope I don't need to buy a new flywheel and can just get it turned.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

it will be cheaper to turn it. knowing what i know now about the process. i would have turned mine than got street lite fly wheel. the amount that gets shaved off is about equal to the weight of the street lite. save alot of money. evodave did a write up on this same thing. it is where i got the info from and decided to do it. but cant for life of me find the link to it.

Last edited by armysoldier1073; Apr 14, 2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Well do I definitely have to get the flywheel turned or replaced? I just wasn't sure if it was required.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

it is best to turn it... takes off all imperfections. it also gives new clutch a fresh place to grab to, not the left overs from the old one.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

The shop asked me if I wanted to replace my rear main seal at the same time. Should I go ahead and do it even though I only have 30k miles and its not leaking?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

that is on you, i have not had this done yet. maybe others can give you advice on that one.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha, I've been in your exact position the last couple weeks. I was bouncing back and forth between the Stage 2 Exedy and the ACT HD SS (and a couple others). I decided that there were too many comments on here about the chatter of the Stage 2 (it's basically a 3 puck = chatter). Since my Evo is my DD, I didn't really want to worry about spending the $$ on a new clutch then hear it EVERYDAY and wish I had made a diff decision. No one is in my area that runs the Stage 2 so I wasn't able to actually HEAR how badly it chatters; an option that may be available to you.

As far as your flywheel, I decided that even though it's cheaper to machine the flywheel and people on here say it works fine afterwards, as long as everything was already open, I might as well go ahead and replace my flywheel. This also should make the down time of your vehicle shorter (if you're worried about that) since they won't have to send out your flywheel to get it milled. I've got the MAP fly coming.

Once you've made your decision on parts, contact Adam over at MAPerformance. They have SWEET deals and EXCELLENT customer service. You'll be happy to do business with 'em!

Also, search for a thread on "Center Diff Pins". Since the shop will already have the motor half torn down to get the clutch out, might as well get in there and replace those while you're at it. Shep and Baschur make pin kits. I don't know the difference and most people here don't either. Once you start researching those options, you'll start to wonder yourself. I have the Shep ones coming for various reasons.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i am using this. its a good clutch for a price and does not chatter at all.:
But the best is the Exedy Twin which is chatters = awesome.

anyway i am using this right now.:
http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/E...lutch-Kit.html

i will go for the Twin HD , since they bump me up in category, and now i can have more plates by the rule

Last edited by Robevo RS; Apr 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
But the best is the Exedy Twin which is chatters = awesome.
I don't understand your comment. Are you saying that the chatter is awesome or that the Twin is awesome? If it's the second, I completely agree and if I had $1700+ for just parts or if I was going crazy with the power, I would have gone that way. But neither applies for me.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Spazo
I don't understand your comment. Are you saying that the chatter is awesome or that the Twin is awesome? If it's the second, I completely agree and if I had $1700+ for just parts or if I was going crazy with the power, I would have gone that way. But neither applies for me.
Both, i like the chatter sound a lot.
In motorsport you got what you pay for. Sooner or later every one will discover that. i am on my second sets of Exedy stage 2 with 13 K miles. But i am driving it hard though.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:11 PM

I have an exedy stage one clutch kit with less then 5 miles on it. PM me if your interested.