Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

SST Downshift problem...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST Downshift problem...

What happens is, for example, when im doing 40km/h in 4th gear and I brake and go down to 20km/h the gear gets stuck in 4th gear and takes 3 to 5 seconds to actually shift down to 2nd gear. I keep pressing the accelerator but nothing happens till it downshifts to the right gear. Not that it only happens btw 4th and 2nd. Sometimes it also happens in different gears. It doesn't always happen but whats scaring me is that it is becoming more frequent than it used to be. Basically the car gets stuck in a particular gear and sometimes it takes a lot more than the usual time to downshift and start accelerating again. I barely drive in Sport mode so i've only faced this in Normal mode. Does this happen to all the SST cars or am I facing a problem ???
Old May 2, 2011, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might be a MAF sensor problem only thing I can think of.
Does it happen in sport mode?
Old May 4, 2011, 06:00 PM

I've had the same issue. Happens occasionally when manually downshifting. I've only experienced it in normal and I drive in sport prob 10%. From what I remember, it's more of an issue when you downshift while the car is in auto.
Old May 6, 2011, 12:38 PM

Ya, sounds like the car is just shifting slowly naturally. Is it significantly slower than an average auto tranny?
Old May 6, 2011, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pollok
What happens is, for example, when im doing 40km/h in 4th gear and I brake and go down to 20km/h the gear gets stuck in 4th gear and takes 3 to 5 seconds to actually shift down to 2nd gear. I keep pressing the accelerator but nothing happens till it downshifts to the right gear. Not that it only happens btw 4th and 2nd. Sometimes it also happens in different gears. It doesn't always happen but whats scaring me is that it is becoming more frequent than it used to be. Basically the car gets stuck in a particular gear and sometimes it takes a lot more than the usual time to downshift and start accelerating again. I barely drive in Sport mode so i've only faced this in Normal mode. Does this happen to all the SST cars or am I facing a problem ???
When this happens, do you have it in D or manual? In D my tranny downshifts through the gears as the car slows down. But, in manual it only shifts into 1st as the car is coming to a stop. I believe the transmission ECU also learns and stores some of the shift patterns based on you driving style.
Old May 6, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
When this happens, do you have it in D or manual? In D my tranny downshifts through the gears as the car slows down. But, in manual it only shifts into 1st as the car is coming to a stop.
Yeah, definitely in "Normal" D mode, the SST downshifts as vehicle speed decreases. The same characteristics do not carry over whilst in "Manual" mode.
Old May 6, 2011, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

In normal mode, the car is trying to stay out the band to spool up. I think it will take the turn on a higher gear lets say the 4th gear then when you press the gas it will downshift to whatever gear (2-3) and go. This is not sport mode where it downshifts fast to pick your gear and then jets you out.
Old May 7, 2011, 04:34 AM

90% of the time I drive in normal mode and in D and that is when its happening. Only rarely do I put it in sports and use the paddle shift so don't really know if the problem is there in sports mode. Even in normal D it doesn't always happen. Maybe two or three times everyday.