Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shep VS TRE Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shep VS TRE Transmissions

I saw a thread for this over in the Evo IX section, but nothing for the X's yet. Anyone have any idea which one does the best work out of both of them. Also, any idea when Jacks and Buschur will be coming out for a rebuild for the X's. I know that buschur has the kit, but it is a little different than the other two, and cost's an arm an a leg.

Oh, and I am more partial to TRE.
Old May 18, 2011, 06:19 PM

Heard nothing but good about Shep.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:04 PM

I had my transmission sent to shep for center diff pins and a small rebuild. They did a great job, but it took about 2-3 weeks. So just be prepared for that. I asked them the turn around time a day before I sent it out, they told me it is usually 2 days.
Aside from that, they did a great job. My transmission feels awesome, and the grinding issues I had before are now gone.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Not X related but I tried to get TRE to contact me and it was like pulling teeth. After many emails he finally called once when I couldn't get to the phone so I missed it. I'd have preferred to go TRE but when I called Shep and they answered first time I knew that was a better choice. I don't like the idea of not being able to get ahold of someone when trying to do business with them.
Old May 19, 2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by shunderwunder
Not X related but I tried to get TRE to contact me and it was like pulling teeth. After many emails he finally called once when I couldn't get to the phone so I missed it. I'd have preferred to go TRE but when I called Shep and they answered first time I knew that was a better choice. I don't like the idea of not being able to get ahold of someone when trying to do business with them.
Yeah, I have heard that. I have no clue what TRE charges for an X rebuild either. I do like that they shot peen some stuff though.
Old May 19, 2011, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

both are really good shops. TRE is actually a very good rebuild for the money you pay, which is a little less than shep...as for contacting them, yes its a PITA but thats because they are usually busy, but once you get your trans you will forget about the missed calls
Old May 19, 2011, 05:28 PM

my buddy sent his 9 tranny off to shep and absolutely loves it. not sure how long it actually took but he ran it at the drag with no hiccups what-so-ever. this was an MR 6 spd conversion to 5spd.
Old May 19, 2011, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I tried TRE and I didn't really like the service or the tranny. Went to shep never had a problem.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
Have Shep trans with ultimate ratio, but after recently dealing with Jon@Tre and speaking with him at length on several different occasions.. I think TRE puts a little more effort and detail in the work, he really really knows his stuff.. and I think he catches things that other shops dont in terms of the little things, weaknesses etc.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
I tried TRE and I didn't really like the service or the tranny. Went to shep never had a problem.
Why not? What didn't you like?
Old May 19, 2011, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ahendrickson
Why not? What didn't you like?
Just things like when I got the tranny it was giving me problems 4th and 5th and alot of going back and forth to get it solved in the end I had to go Shep.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Just things like when I got the tranny it was giving me problems 4th and 5th and alot of going back and forth to get it solved in the end I had to go Shep.
What level build did you have done?

My whole drivetrain is built by Jon @ TRE. The 12-plate MAXLock diff gives the car throttle-on oversteer like a corvette. I also have a 2.0 build with a 4.11 final drive, and a built T-case.

Jon is an engineer by trade. There is a reason he has a pile of Cusco diffs at his shop. He knows how to build stuff better. He spends more time on each transmission than anyone else. Anyone can turn a transmission in 4 hours. He detailed all the gear teeth on my T-case and trued up the shafts. His custom rear diff cover is what everybody copies now for their race cars.

The cruddy part, he is a one man operation. He does the work, answers the phones, and writes e-mails. He only lists being open Tues-Friday, but I got calls from him on a Saturday where he was working away on my t-case. Shep is bigger, has someone to answer phones, and turns things quicker. But I don't think they do near the same job Jon does. If Jon ever gets a secretary, he will be in business.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

They are 2 of the best on the market no question, If you seen my history my tranny was fully built ,4.11 gears, longer 1st, 2nd ect.

I just perfer shep ,I had a better understanding with him that all.
Old May 20, 2011, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

They are 2 of the best on the market no question, If you seen my history my tranny was fully built ,4.11 gears, longer 1st, 2nd ect.

I just perfer shep ,I had a better understanding with him that all.
Ah, Evo 8 first gear, 2nd gear is the same on both. 4.11 is the way to go!
Old May 20, 2011, 12:39 PM

Full race transmission from Shep. No place else to need to go for transmissions.

Quick Reply: Shep VS TRE Transmissions