Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Maybe I'm retarded? X SE shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm retarded? X SE shifting problem

So with my car FINALLY broken in per Mitsubishi's specs, I decided to play a bit and see what she's got. Car is 100% stock, still have not launched (and won't until I get this resolved), just some WOT shifting. NORMALLY I stay in Auto/Normal or Paddle/Normal, occasional Paddle/Sport and shifting is not an issue, still not instantaneous but not slow. Trying Paddle/SSport was not fun. Didn't want to shift when I "paddled", ended up shifting for me somewhere north of 7k a second later. I dunno if I'm doing something wrong (this is MOST prominent in 1st gear, but also 2nd and 3rd...haven't gone further in the gears while WOT) or if my brand new car is b0rked. This is my first Evo, and the CLOSEST competent dealer is at least 2hrs away.

What I have NOT tried:
-Auto Sport/SSport WOT
-Gear shifter manual Sport/SSport WOT
Old May 19, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds to me like you just don't fully understand how it works. My advice is to just leave the paddles alone and let the TCU do the thinking for you. Flip between normal and sport modes depending on how you're driving and let the computer do the rest. If you want to shift yourself, buy a GSR.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

And hopefully you're right and I just need to learn to trust the car and get used to it...I haven't been fully assimilated lol.
Old May 19, 2011, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Did some more focused testing on the way home from work and just now when I went back out for a few errands; I'm extremely analytical and I do tend to over-analyze until I figure something out. It was all in my head. Everything works as it should. Only thing I DIDN'T do was SSport/Manual but that can stay in Auto mode if I ever need it. ******* I love this car.....
Old May 20, 2011, 07:21 AM

My advice is talk with any professional for clear concept

Last edited by cowboy14; May 21, 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old May 20, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

SSport will snap off perfect shifts @ WOT. To be honest, not even worth using the paddle shifters. For playing around I'll manually shift the car, but typically let the ECU / TCU do it for me.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:48 PM

Amazing how good the new trannies are at shifting when they should. Kinda takes a lot of the guesswork out.
Old May 20, 2011, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cowboy14
My advice is talk with any professional for clear concept
Tried that. Couldn't get an answer.

Originally Posted by dcpatters
SSport will snap off perfect shifts @ WOT. To be honest, not even worth using the paddle shifters. For playing around I'll manually shift the car, but typically let the ECU / TCU do it for me.
In Auto yes (but it DOES shift at around 7500..... paddle SSport hates me.

Originally Posted by MyCre8n
Amazing how good the new trannies are at shifting when they should. Kinda takes a lot of the guesswork out.
I kinda liked the guesswork, made me feel more like I was DRIVING instead of just steering, but the concept of a lightning fast shift with paddles is what drew me to this transmission.

Just going to take some time getting used to it. The more I drive it the more I like it, once I get some more power and a solid tune.....