Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fuel Cut at anything over 1/2 throttle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Cut at anything over 1/2 throttle

Just a heads up to people that might have this problem currently and can't figure it out. Here is the basic scenario, car ran fine Tuesday morning, runs fine on the way to dinner, I pull onto the road after dinner and start to roll into the throttle in 2nd gear and it acts like it hit the rev limiter at about 3600-3800rpm. The car sputters badly and falls on it's face.

I pull into the gas station check all the vacuum lines etc and all appears good, no CEL triggered and no codes thrown. I do a couple test pulls with the Cobb AP and watch knock first, little to no knock; I got a 2.5 count if I let it hit the fuel cut for more than about a second, if I lifted immediately there was nothing. I checked injector duty cycle, normal at WOT is 77-78% on my car, max I was seeing in 3rd gear was 42-43% and that's when it acted like it hit fuel cut.

Thought it was possibly a clogged injector or something so I took the car out to COBB since it was going out there for brakes anyway this week. Calvin took a look at the logs I had and determined that the fuel wasn't actually reaching the injectors really and that my fuel pressure was considerably lower than usual.

We pull the pump and there it lies...the hose connected to the fuel pump was ripped in half just below the fitting where it was clamped. This explains why I could go low part throttle and the car ran mostly fine but as soon as I pushed it and the fuel pressure built up it was just spewing back into the tank and not making it to the rail/injectors.

For whatever it's worth I have the BlaqOps Single Walbro Kit but I was told Calvin had seen this happen on a few setups where the hose ripped in various places causing a fuel pressure shortage.

So heads up people, check those fuel lines in tank!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Good info. Was this a flexy white straw looking hose that many of the kits on the market include?

*edit*
Looks like that kit uses rubber hoses, not plastic. I wonder if they didn't include ones designed for ethanol?

Last edited by Kracka; Aug 11, 2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

All the BlaqOps kits are E-85 compliant. It was the black rubber hose that ripped open, literally 2/3 of the hose had ripped across and it was barely holding on.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Well, they claim it is, but it would be worth checking the part # on the hose. I won't mention the brand, but a certain double-pumper used to be advertised as E85 compatible but it was coming with non-ethanol rated hose which were basically getting eaten away and leaking. You want to make sure you get the stuff rated to be submersible in ethanol; it's definitely more expensive than regular rubber fuel line which is why I think some skimp on it.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The blaqops does use the right hose for the kits, they are one of the few that actually man up and buy the expensive hose to include with the kit. I know lomker did extensive research on this.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Good to hear, thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

I wonder if this is why I had problems with my Buschur Double pumper? Black rubber hose clogged the tiney filter in the return line. The cause made my base fuel pressure go to 80psi then ripped the return line out, then dumping 5 gallons of gas on my garage floor!