Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

New MAP short runner manifold cracked

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MAP short runner manifold cracked

So I recently picked up a short runner manifold from MAP about two months ago while my car was down and I have about 3k miles on the manifold and its already cracked between the runners where the two meet. Anyone else have this issue yet? I hope they will replace it for free.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Call Map, Send it back to get welded up. I'm sure they will cover it all fabricators here will lifetime warranty their manifolds
Old Aug 14, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Ya I will be calling them up in the morning
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the short runner only has a 1 year warranty, but they will take care of you.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:58 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Bummer.

PM Chris Carey, he'll take of you.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
I think the short runner only has a 1 year warranty, but they will take care of you.
I am pretty sure it only has a one year warranty because i asked what the warranty was before i bought one. I was told that they do not lifetime warranty this manifold because they are not built in house.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

That sucks. Hope you get it fixed soon!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:36 AM

I had this same issue, it actually cracked in multiple places. MAP resolved the situation very quickly and easily for me without any hassle at all. I ended up upgrading to the their long runner version in fear of this one cracking again.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the first issue I've heard of with the Evo X version, and as was mentioned above we will certainly take care of you The Evo 8 & 9 manifolds had a few issues with the anti-lag provisioning as the manifold was designed to work with Evo 4-9, however, when the anti-lag ports were blocked off it caused heat to build up and the potential for cracking. The Evo 8 & 9 short runner manifolds no longer have the anti-lag provisioning and we haven't had an issue since
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:34 PM

Was it wrapped?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by wompa164
Was it wrapped?
no, it cracked at the weld.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
This is the first issue I've heard of with the Evo X version, and as was mentioned above we will certainly take care of you The Evo 8 & 9 manifolds had a few issues with the anti-lag provisioning as the manifold was designed to work with Evo 4-9, however, when the anti-lag ports were blocked off it caused heat to build up and the potential for cracking. The Evo 8 & 9 short runner manifolds no longer have the anti-lag provisioning and we haven't had an issue since
Thanks allot guys you should have received it yesterday.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by andy5notarobot
no, it cracked at the weld.
Alot depends on how they are used and the heat cycles they go through. Water hitting them when they are hot is obviously bad and on the Evo X that vent is hovering right above it. At a racetrack where it sees crazy high temps you will find out really quickly if there is any stress or tension between two welded parts. Make sure you have the Downpipe to engine block bolt in place as well as the turbo compressor side bracket bolt with no side to side tension since that can cause issues over time. Probably that one bolt that mounts the turbo from below is semi optional, that was missing from the factory on my car.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Alot depends on how they are used and the heat cycles they go through. Water hitting them when they are hot is obviously bad and on the Evo X that vent is hovering right above it. At a racetrack where it sees crazy high temps you will find out really quickly if there is any stress or tension between two welded parts. Make sure you have the Downpipe to engine block bolt in place as well as the turbo compressor side bracket bolt with no side to side tension since that can cause issues over time. Probably that one bolt that mounts the turbo from below is semi optional, that was missing from the factory on my car.
+1..... Being a metal smith i know all to well what happens to very hot metal when you splash water on it.. Prob the same reason why your stock manifold cracked also.. BTW You have 3 weeks till i get there, car better be running.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Mine cracked, when I called I was told they never heard of this happening. I found this thread through google....interesting.

Quick Reply: New MAP short runner manifold cracked