Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

ETS 4" FMIC :)... except the damage :(

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my inlet was bent too. It didnt leak when I installed it on there so I didnt sweat it.

But it sounds like ETS needs to step up their packing little bit. I mean I understand UPS and FEDEX throw their packages like no bodies business but it shouldnt have broke the way it did.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:11 PM

One of our major suppliers recently switched from UPS to FedEx. Considering the problems we've had with UPS, both in damage and in lost packages, we were actually welcoming the change, because in our limited dealings with FedEx, they seemed better.

Wrong.

We receive on average 5 packages a week with internal damage. Compared to maybe one a week with UPS. This is for about 50 packages...

FedEx claims that this is due to improper packing, and states that the package has to be able to withstans a 3' drop without incurring any damage. Some of these packages weigh in at 60lbs or more. Apparently as part of their conveyor system, the packages routinely fall that far.

The supplier continues to make good on the damaged items but it's still a major headache for us..

Nice intercooler BTW
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to see that you recieved the intercooler damaged, but it is a great intercooler none the less.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

I feel like this is the 2nd ETS intercooler I've seen damaged this way. The first one was in the Evo VIII/XI section somewhere.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Craig King
I feel like this is the 2nd ETS intercooler I've seen damaged this way. The first one was in the Evo VIII/XI section somewhere.
Yeah i've seen one on here somewhere damaged almost identical to mine. Not sure how they went about getting it straight.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What does the packaging look like when it's delivered? I know it costs more to properly protect the product when shipping. But how much?

The best vendor I've received a shipment from was "Mishimoto." My radiator was packaged very well. Similar product to an intercooler where it has fins, aluminum material and has end tanks. However the packaging is sturdy enough to handle a good fall plus weight being applied from almost every angle.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
What does the packaging look like when it's delivered? I know it costs more to properly protect the product when shipping. But how much?

The best vendor I've received a shipment from was "Mishimoto." My radiator was packaged very well. Similar product to an intercooler where it has fins, aluminum material and has end tanks. However the packaging is sturdy enough to handle a good fall plus weight being applied from almost every angle.
It was in a box filled with the "foam things" lol. Tape covering the inlet and outlet pipes. Basically in a sea of foam pegs. Could have had some other cardboard to hold it steady or solid styrofoam pieces shaped to hold it still. But if it was dropped hard enough to bend the aluminum i'm not sure it would have helped much. The best packaging I have received was the ACT clutch kit. It's in there really good with extra protection. I have a video of it.. kind of a "what's in the box" thing on youtube lol heath3250.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HPEVOX
Tape covering the inlet and outlet pipes.
Tape?? How was tape supposed to protect the inlet/outlet pipes in the event of impact???

When I got my CBRD intercooler, it arrived double-boxed. There was a layer of cardboard around the actual fin area of the intercooler and there were 1/8" thick cardboard tubes protecting the inlet/outlet.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Masking tape to prevent the foam from getting in the inlet/oulet. And yes i forgot! There was cardboard covering the fins front and back. oops lol
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
The intercoolers are taped on the inlet and outlet w/ silicone couplers on the inlet and outlet to protect it from getting damaged or shifting side to side. The front and back of the intercooler have card board that's taped to the core to prevent peanuts, packing material and piping from damaging the fins. Then the box is filled with Styrofoam peanuts to keep it from moving around.

Thanks!

Michael
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't have any couplers on the inlet or outlet. I had the actual couplers and clamps in a bag for install, but nothing over the inlet or outlet besides masking tape to prevent foam from getting inside.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by HPEVOX
I didn't have any couplers on the inlet or outlet. I had the actual couplers and clamps in a bag for install, but nothing over the inlet or outlet besides masking tape to prevent foam from getting inside.
I will talk with my shipper department. They might have changed the way they do it for the evo x intercoolers, because the one on the top would be sticking up pretty high, but the one on the bottom should get it.

Once we move, we are going to have access to a new company that provides quality shipping material and we might try a different approach. It's few and far between when they are damaged or dented, but it does happen.

"UPS.. Handled with care..." Ya right!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah mine was the outlet pipe that went through the box. I'm not sure if the silicon would have helped much honestly as you can see all the way through there lol. Boo on you FedEx.
Attached Thumbnails ETS 4" FMIC :)... except the damage :(-ets-ic-6.jpg  
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:46 PM

I hope mine comes in better shape hehe.

I hope mine comes with a ETS banner for my dorm room.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Leopard
I hope mine comes in better shape hehe.

I hope mine comes with a ETS banner for my dorm room.
I hope so too We don't have any banners though, but a few stickers will be included with the intercooler!