Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

My New Build For 2011 X MR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah on a larger turbo I think that would be the case, with the stock flow limited turbo, the cams and Downpipe/testpipe are that much of a bottleneck. The cams are probably around 20-30 whp, with the Downpipe almost giving nothing and testpipe maybe around 5 whp over a high flow cat on the stock turbo.

That said you it's not always about peak gains, but power gained under the curve. Chances are if you got those gains equally from low to high RPM, it would probably be faster than a gain that was higher peak hp but minimal gains everywhere else, if that makes sense.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with the car, it should be nice ride with the upgrades!!
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update, nearly 2 years later...

I've been having some troubles with the car, and decided it was time to get it really looked at. Particularly, transmission problems, which I made a post about yesterday on the drivetrain forum. If you're interested to read about that, it's titled "SST Problem: At My Wit's End"

Not very long after I got my work done at Atlantic Motorsports (Gaithursburg), I noticed I was having some power losses, but nothing too incredibly noticeable. I shrugged it off as me just getting used to the speed of the car over time... Big mistake.

When I took the car to Dino at Speedcircuit, he asked me to tell him about the car, what parts I had into it, any concerns or questions I had. I told him that I had cams, and even though I ordered Kelford 214A's from AMS, I suspected they somehow made a mistake and installed 214B's instead. He immediately asked if they upgraded my valve springs, to which I said I didn't think so, since I didn't remember paying for them in the first place, nor did they mention anything about me needing them. I'm sure you can tell where this is going if you know what can happen with stock valve springs and aggressive cams. Also, he said that running a manual boost controller is not something you should do in a Evo X MR. I wasn't aware and I wish I had just gone with the 3-port from the start, so I ordered one of the Perrin models he had in stock.

He tore the engine and trans out to look at the inside of the trans and do some testing (again, this was for unrelated issues), and then took the head off to inspect the cams. Sure enough, 214B's were installed without my knowledge with no upgraded valve springs. I had no idea, since that's not what I ordered. I should have had this looked at as soon as I saw the box didn't say 214A on the side but for some reason I expected that was just too big of a mistake to make without knowing to upgrade the valve springs. I was wrong.

I was down roughly 50% compression in cylinders 2 and 4. 6 of my valves were in need of replacement. 2 intake, 4 exhaust. I had him replace the valves and we ordered Kelford's valve springs to fix the problem. I'm sure this was an honest mistake on their part, but here I am with cams I didn't really want at that time. Luckily, nothing major happened to the engine as a result, and I've since decided to go with FP Green install soon, so this isn't that big of a deal. I just won't be going back there.

Then he looked at my tune and said they were running a LOT of timing in the engine. He re-tuned it and now the car runs better than it ever has. It feels way quicker and smoother. I'm sure this is also in part of the 3-port too. I didn't get any power gains really, because I didn't install any parts that would increase power, but it feels like a whole new monster. One thing he did note that Atlantic did very well was my boost gauge install, so that was good to see.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bad mouthing another shop so if it's seen that way then I apologize. I just wanna get the facts out there.

I'll update power and specs once I get the trans fixed (if I ever figure it out) and then when I get my FP Green and fuel system installed. SO EXCITE.

PS - If anyone has any other ideas what kinds of parts I should get or any experience with a FP Green'd MR, please let me know. I told Dino he had free reign for whatever fuel system he thinks is best so I'm waiting to see what he chooses for me.