Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

2010 EVO X questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 EVO X questions

Ive read the part where the Trans case being overfilled so i will check that first thing in the morning tomorrow. Thing is, i thought the whine is normal for a turbo car. Thought the whine is from the turbo spooling up...this is my first foray in the turbo world. Whine is still faint though so maybe if i let some of the oil out, it will be gone.

Question: is the whine possibly from the T-case or is it just the turbo spooling?

Question: what is the safe boost pressure for the X? i just installed an AEM intake and my boost pressure spiked to 25.4psi according to the accessport live data. the highest ive seen on the stock intake is 23.8psi. Take this into consideration though...ambient temp is 104 degrees, AEM intake, accessport flashed to Stage1 ACN91 + AEM.

So what is a safe boost pressure for the X? if my boost pressure spikes to 25.4psi, will that degrade the block? ive seen 22.5psi before i installed the intake so 22.5psi i thought was the normal boost pressure. but gaining 2.9 psi after the install is a just in my opinion and i just want to know if the engine can handle it. I mean, its just a spike but i dont want to ruin my X in the long run.

Last edited by Panda_stunter; Aug 23, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

is there any way you can detect knock? im not very familiar with the access port,but i'm running a 25 PSI spike on my VIII with no detonation, i am also slightly richer than normal. i would turn the boost down just a hair until you could make sure youre not knocking

Quest
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SOEuro
is there any way you can detect knock? im not very familiar with the access port,but i'm running a 25 PSI spike on my VIII with no detonation, i am also slightly richer than normal. i would turn the boost down just a hair until you could make sure youre not knocking

Quest
the accessport can actually read the ECU if there is any knocking so i will check in the morning as well.

good thing about the accessport is that it is also kind of like a diagnosis tool that can read live data.

about the whining part, is that really the t-case or is it just the turbo spooling?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, so driving today, i saw a peak boost of 26.0psi. Is that normal?

I am using the off-the-shelf maps from cobb accessport website with just an aem intake.

I'm asking coz the highest boost pressure I got from when I was just using a stage 1 tune (bone-stock evo x) was 22.5psi. It didn't spike any higher than that. But now, I'm using a map that is for the use of aem intake.

Can anyone please help answering my questions?

Safe boost pressure level for stock internal?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
26 should be safe. If you're worried though you can use the LWG version of the map.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Lwg is for the low waste gate right?

Well, I just want to know if this is normal, if the map actually raises the boost limit and still running the right afr mixture.