Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

primo 3.5 intake

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
primo 3.5 intake

guys tell me more about this product good and bad news, worth getting if not is there any 3'' intake??
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We offer a 3" intake should you be looking for one. Just PM or email me and I can get you info. I will also be able to provide you/your tuner with a MAF scalar should you need it.

John
john@akumamotorsports.com
Old Aug 30, 2011, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If you need a 3.5" intake I'd opt for MAP's instead since it includes a nice heatshield, but you'll only need something that big if you're going with a large stockframe turbo. Otherwise, a 3" or 2.75" stock MAF housing intake will work just fine.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

Both MAP and Primo have nice 3.5" intakes. If you like the BOV in the stock location, get MAP's intake. If you like the BOV to be relocated by the radiator, get the Primo.

MAP makes very nice products and there heat shield is awesome looking, but you only need a heat shield if you have a 2008.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rrkpitt15
but you only need a heat shield if you have a 2008.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

On the 2008 models, when you have the air conditioner on and you have an open filter element (without shield), it will really mess with your fuel trims. On 2010s, we dont really have this issue. I have an open filter element on my 2010 without a heat shield and i have not issues when the air conditioner is on.

I hope some of the guru's can chime in. I was told this by acouple guru's on the "other" evox forum.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On the 2008 models, when you have the air conditioner on and you have an open filter element (without shield), it will really mess with your fuel trims. On 2010s, we dont really have this issue. I have an open filter element on my 2010 without a heat shield and i have not issues when the air conditioner is on.

I hope some of the guru's can chime in. I was told this by acouple guru's on the "other" evox forum.
Well im no guru but regardless a HEATshield is a good idea considering its name. Its not an "AC" shield. I use the one that came with my ETS intake just for that fact that it blocks a pretty large section away from the filter that would w/o a shield would be open to the heat coming for the rest of the engine bay. It also helps keep the intake stable.

IDK just my theory take it or leave it.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

This is the information giving on MAP's website about there 3.5in. intake

This intake features aluminum 3.5" tubing and a large aFe Pro Dry air filter for optimum air induction. It recirculates the blow off valve as far away from the MAF as possible to prevent interferance and includes a stainless steel heat shield to block hot engine air. Due to the removal of the stock MAS housing this unit will require tuning. Here are the gains we realized from this intake and MAF scaling adjustments, no timing or boost adjustments were made:

webpage - http://www.maperformance.com/map-sho...-evox-sri.html
Old Sep 1, 2011, 08:15 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the primo, great bang for your buck. Easy to install, runs great! Even with no heat shield in the hot summer heat w/ AC.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by The_X_Effect
Well im no guru but regardless a HEATshield is a good idea considering its name. Its not an "AC" shield. I use the one that came with my ETS intake just for that fact that it blocks a pretty large section away from the filter that would w/o a shield would be open to the heat coming for the rest of the engine bay. It also helps keep the intake stable.

IDK just my theory take it or leave it.

Do you have evoscan? If so log intake air temp and manifold temp at any constant speed (not idle or any really slow speed like stop and go traffic). Do it twice (once with a heat shield and once without it) on the same day at the same time on the same road. Then report back your findings!

I dont have a heat shield or i would do this.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have evoscan? If so log intake air temp and manifold temp at any constant speed (not idle or any really slow speed like stop and go traffic). Do it twice (once with a heat shield and once without it) on the same day at the same time on the same road. Then report back your findings!

I dont have a heat shield or i would do this.
I have a cobb ap not sure if that gives out those readings. Will be putting it in on thursday when i get my tune.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
rrkpitt15 is correct, my 2008 GSR did have some idle issues when the AC fan was on without the heat shield in place...
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

I just did some logs in almost 90 degree weather and my 2010 gsr intake temp did not change whether my ac was on or not when i was cruise or idling. My manifold temp did decrease when i turned my ac because the fans kicked on.

My intake manifold temp was almost always the same as my intake temp. At idle it was on about 5 degrees hotter until i turned the A/C on then it decrease by acouple degrees.

I do not have a heat shield.

Thanks Chris! You guys do make some awesome products, Adam hooked me up with your manifold. Its pretty sick looking. Keep up the good work!