Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Greddy Profec B spec-II vs HKS EVC-S

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greddy Profec B spec-II vs HKS EVC-S

Greddy Profec B Sped-II
http://www.enjukuracing.com/greddy-p...er-p-7052.html

HKS EVC-S
http://www.enjukuracing.com/evcs-ele...er-p-9586.html

I'm torn between these two. any thoughts on either of them, or which one is "better" in your opinion. It seems like the HKS has a more thorough feature set, but I don't know enough about the brands on these. Only their function.

Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Neither, the factory ECU does a better job controlling boost with a 3-port BCS.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input kracka. Below is a quote from an e-mail between John at Jestr tuning and myself.

"The GS BCS will have some fluctuations with weather changes, so I prefer an MBC or an external electronic BC only because you will be able to adjust the boost levels without need to modify the tune."

Just to further educate myself, why would he have a difference of opinion? I know they both essentially reach the same goal. I'm just trying to make sure I'm as educated as possible before making the purchase.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly, I'm thinking the tuner may just be looking for an easier method that involves less work, but that's just my initial impression. In the end, you want to do whatever the tuner you choose feels most comfortable with.

My opinion is the stock ECU is already more capable (and safer) and only needs a ~$100 valve rather than an expensive standalone electronic device. This seems to be the given and most common form of Evo X tuning from the majority of well-known tuners on this board and others. ...but I'm not a professional tuner, just an enthusiast.

You can also look into AWD Motorsports in Coral Springs, FL; they're fairly well known on this board (as is Jestr). I have no personal experience with either's tuning so I can't comment there.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Based on all my research, your thoughts, and Jestr's thoughts. if I get it tuned in the winter when it's a bit colder, I will actually hit a point where I will have less power(albeit only a minor amount) in the summer.

Where as having a dual solenoid EBC will provide the same amount of response time as a solenoid, plus having the ability to setup some external controls boost limits, or multiple boost settings built around drivability versus raw power, etc... No doubt the stock ECU can handle these options, but it cannot handle multiple boost settings like this.

I'm leaning towards the HKS EVC-S EBC. it will provide these features, plus it has a small enough remote that i can be mounted in my glovebox out of sight. and when the glovebox is open, it's not crazy and flashy.

Plus if I should run into issues, I can power the unit off and it's back to factory boost functionality.

I am learning as I go here. and the problem is I have to learn 7000 miles away from my car and tuner lol.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

I disagree with a lot of what you just said, but it's your car, do with it as you please.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used both the Profec B spec II and the HKS EVC-S. The Greddy was in my Evo VIII and the HKS in my Evo X. The Greddy worked good and had no issues with it. But if I were to buy another one today, I would by an HKS. It seems to work slightly better and have an extra feature or two.

I also like having the ability to adjust on the fly if needed. I'm not a tuner and have no plans on carrying a laptop around to adjust boost. It may not be quite as flexible as a 3 port and ECU tuned boost, but it does a fairly decent job of holding boost. I think it's certainly better than the stock solenoid.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

I assure you that I want to hear your thoughts Kracka. I am learning. Consider this a formal request that you don't hold back. If it's not to much to ask, please do not hesitate to tell me why I'm wrong in these thoughts. I'm not opposed to a 3 port solenoid, an EBC, or Manual Boost controller. Whateveer option I go with it's getting installed when I get the car tuned, so getting the ECU tuned for any of these particular options isn't a bit deal.

I learn more from peers and asking questions than I will reading random reviews on products online.

Last edited by h4ckluserr; Sep 7, 2011 at 12:11 PM.