Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Walbro's new 400LPH pump: X-specific discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:03 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Walbro's new 400LPH pump: X-specific discussion

This is already being discussed in the evo8-9 area but I figured since it is more likely to be a drop-in setup for the X, we should have an X-specific thread here

First up, the pump in question:
http://www.dynosty.com/2011/08/walbro-400-fuel-pump/
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Walbr...item3cbc763281
(ebay search for "walbro 400lph")

Looks like part numbers: F90000262 (pump) & 400-0001 (install kit)

Sounds like Buschur is working on a drop-in kit for the X.

Questions yet to be answered:
Is the plug on it actually different than the current walbro pumps?

How will it perform in an X compared to a standard walbro 255, a modified walbro 255, DW300, or other pump? I have a DW300 pump in my X and i love it but it needed a BAP on my setup to make it flow enough for me w/o going to a double. I think getting one of these pumps in my car and turning off the BAP will be a good test

I wonder if this will cause the FPR over-run issue like some pumps do on the X?

Also, anyone know if this pump is as loud or louder than a standard walbro? That's one of the bigger plusses of the DW pump, it is nearly silent!

Kracka and I have been discussing, and it looks like as far as physical fitment the current cobb adapter-ring will make it fit. I have the MAP adapter kit and it is more of a sleeve, so the bottom part would have to be cut off at the very least. The filters that come with that install kit look like they would fit great. That just leaves the wiring question
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:20 PM
EvoM Moderator

Looking up the part number, it looks like the connector is definitely different. Includes a cool exploded view of the housing too (although this one is listed as 386LPH):
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...000262&eq=&Tp=

Also, this round filter sock might be a better fit? Probably would be better than the standard one that comes with a walbro for most kits anyways!
FFS-040G
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:36 PM
EvoM Moderator

Hrm, it is 121mm long...how long is the standard GSS342?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
That round sock would be a great fit for the X pump housing, very similar to stock in design.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The connector is "generic". It's a universal and doesn't plug directly into the EVOX. I'd assume it will over run the regulator because the pump flows a tremendous amount of fuel.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, interesting. I still like my double pumper setup, but if I ever went to a single i'd be nice to have a simple setup that can flow enough fuel.

I wonder if an aftermarket fuel reg would keep it under control.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:52 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by David Buschur
The connector is "generic". It's a universal and doesn't plug directly into the EVOX. I'd assume it will over run the regulator because the pump flows a tremendous amount of fuel.
Well I eeked by with my DW pump on the stock FPR setup, guess I'll have to plan for a fuel pressure gauge at the very least, if not a full aftermarket FPR setup in conjunction with enlarging the hole in the return. I just like keeping the car as stock as possible, but I guess I'm at the point where if I want more fuel system support I'm going to have to pony-up.

Connector looks indeed like just some spade adapters would fit, getting a female plug for the stock connector is going to be the trick--hopefully someone can source one (sounds like you are dave--awesome!).

My next question is, will this pump outflow my DW300+BAP setup on the stock voltage? We shall see I guess!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

I had the pumps tested independently, all of them, the Walbro makes the rest of them look silly. I have pumps tested at 13.5 and 15 volts.

The overrun of the regulator isn't all the regulators fault. Some of it is the stock line and some of it is the siphon in the tank.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:00 AM
EvoM Moderator

The overrun of the regulator isn't all the regulators fault. Some of it is the stock line and some of it is the siphon in the tank.
Yup I understand that, that's exactly what I'm getting at.

I have a 100% stock fuel system aside from pump, BAP, and injectors makes it hard to diagnose what to do where for a setup like this though, know what I mean? If simply enlarging the siphon would be enough to run this pump safely, I'd love to know (and not touch anything else).
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

I don't feel that the siphon will be enough to not overrun the fuel pressure. I have our flow numbers at the shop, at 40 psi, around base pressure the flow is nuts.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when will these pumps be available?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

They are available now and I will just put this out there, sadly for us, it's not rocket science to install one in an EVOX. 99% of you guys can figure it out by just buying the pump and generic connector.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:44 PM
EvoM Moderator

They are available now and I will just put this out there, sadly for us, it's not rocket science to install one in an EVOX. 99% of you guys can figure it out by just buying the pump and generic connector.
Dave, any comment on the noise-level of these pumps compared to a standard 255HP?

FWIW I appreciate everything you contribute to the community, especially this.

Bryan says:
Originally Posted by razorlab
It's a turbine style pump, liker aero/dw, etc so if anything, it will be quieter.
i say good call.

Last edited by scheides; Sep 26, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will this pump will able to fit the BR double pumper ???
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:57 PM
EvoM Moderator

I don't feel that the siphon will be enough to not overrun the fuel pressure. I have our flow numbers at the shop, at 40 psi, around base pressure the flow is nuts.
Ugh that sucks.

Quick Reply: Walbro's new 400LPH pump: X-specific discussion