Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

car will not go into reverse at all. GSR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car will not go into reverse at all. GSR

So a week ago reverse started to grind a bit so i would put it in 4th then reverse and it would go in smooth then last night after a few pulls the car will not go into reverse at all. Its like something is blocking reverse from going in. All other gears are perfectly fine. My clutch is not slipping ether and still bites strong. Im about to check my shifter cables right now anyone have any other ideas? Im also on a ACT HD clutch.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Move
So a week ago reverse started to grind a bit so i would put it in 4th then reverse and it would go in smooth then last night after a few pulls the car will not go into reverse at all. Its like something is blocking reverse from going in. All other gears are perfectly fine. My clutch is not slipping ether and still bites strong. Im about to check my shifter cables right now anyone have any other ideas? Im also on a ACT HD clutch.
Did you go check the shifter linkage already? I had an issue with reverse popping out and not going into reverse right. We found a dropped worm clamp over by the shifter linkage. Lol.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evolessfornow
Did you go check the shifter linkage already? I had an issue with reverse popping out and not going into reverse right. We found a dropped worm clamp over by the shifter linkage. Lol.
I checked under the shifter and all seems well. I checked the under the hood where the bushing are im not sure where the links are.. the vertical cable feels kinda loose. the horizontal cable feels solid and won't move. could it be that one needs to be tightened?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

where exactly is my shifter linkage?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
My guess is a clutch issue, it's not disengaging fully for one of two reasons.

1. Pedal needs adjustment.
2. Disc is warped.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
My guess is a clutch issue, it's not disengaging fully for one of two reasons.

1. Pedal needs adjustment.
2. Disc is warped.

Disengaging? my reverse isn't engaging lol. every other gear is butter smooth why would a clutch issue only mess with reverse?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

There nothing wrong with my shift linkage it has to be in my transmission my friend told me he had the same issue. he said that his shifter rod broke and that i should be expecting 5th gear to not engage soon. has anyone else heard of this happening?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

I had a similar problem before, I never owned a X but every gear would go in fine except for reverse. It would grind make grinding noises. My slave cylinder was shot, along with a bunch of air in the line.

Like Kracka said also. But wouldn't a warped pp/disc cause getting into other gears a problem? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Move
Disengaging? my reverse isn't engaging lol. every other gear is butter smooth why would a clutch issue only mess with reverse?
He's refering to when you push the clutch down, the disc stops moving which is the correct disenagement.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nytalonTSi
He's refering to when you push the clutch down, the disc stops moving which is the correct disenagement.
+1 Yup, counter intuitive. Like watching yourself work in a mirror.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Had something similar happen. Couldnt put in it reverse or 5th. The shop replaced the reverse gear and 5th gear synchro.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by number 8
Had something similar happen. Couldnt put in it reverse or 5th. The shop replaced the reverse gear and 5th gear synchro.
Was it under warranty?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by number 8
The Evo X 5-speed has no reverse gear, reverse is engaged by using a combination of 1st and 3rd gears. This was done to reduce weight.

Last edited by Kracka; Oct 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nytalonTSi
But wouldn't a warped pp/disc cause getting into other gears a problem? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Engaging reverse, since there isn't an actual single reverse gear, is particularly finicky on the X 5-speed transmission. This is a good thing since it equates to less rotational weight. Since it is finicky though, and uses two gears, it will be the first to show any sign of a problem.

I am of course already assuming the OP has checked his clutch hydraulic system for leaks or air bubbles; the first step in diagnosing a transmission issue such as this should always be an inspection for leaks and a bleeding of the system.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Can you get it into reverse with the engine off?

Quick Reply: car will not go into reverse at all. GSR