Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

SSP CMC installed, something not quite right

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSP CMC installed, something not quite right

I ordered the SSP Evo X master cylinder after the OEM one gave up. I had the Exedy organic Stage 1 clutch installed ~1 month before it just went while driving.

So as I couldn't drive to the rally shop which did the clutch work, I had the SSP CMC installed at the local Mitsu dealer (which, I guess was a bad idea but I really didn't have any options - I live in Finland).

The symptoms: The clutch seems to work brilliantly after a short drive. Sometimes a bit of trouble getting it to 1st gear or reverse when cold, but nothing too serious. However, after it has warmed up somewhat and especially after spirited driving, it does not seem to come all the way up always anymore - very often it seems to occur after downshifting to high rpm.

It bounces all the way up often when I brake to a halt a bit more vigorously than normal but sometimes I have to help it the rest of the way (~20-25% of the distance) up with my foot. Sometimes it works just right.

It also seems that they messed up my cruise control - it doesn't seem to do anything anymore and they promised me to fix that. I have no idea if these two faults are connected, but the techs were not familiar with the cruise control and maybe missed something because it is not offered on the EU version (my car is US spec).

I already brought the car back there once and the bled the system to make sure no air was there - nothing changed.
There is this voice in the back of my head saying that they messed something real bad on the install work or there is something wrong with the CMC.

I have no idea about the version of the SSP CMC, but I ordered it from speedcircuit this June.

Any help on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:29 PM

I think you need to adjust the pedal man. Sounds to me that its not engaging at all due to the pedal not being adjusted right.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

ssp made their own version of the oem cmc but in metal form. the magnus kit ises a evo 9 metal cmc... in alot of opinions is far better, but more work involved. the ssp was designed to be a replacement for the oem with little extra work. looks like the ssp vers 3 is the one you have since i beleive it is the only adjustable version. give ssp a call at tel them the issue. the cruise and cmc are not related. it sounds to me( i could be wrong) but seems like your cmc is bad. I did the magnus with evo 9 cmc and never looked back. i chose this route since i read alot of bad reviews with the ssp... there were more bad than good.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Im thinking your cruise control issue is in fact related to the CMC and more specifically the fact that you mention the pedal doesnt come all the way up. If you have cruise on and you press the pedal it disengages. Might be happening to you.....but I dunno for sure.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by SOUL STEALER
Im thinking your cruise control issue is in fact related to the CMC and more specifically the fact that you mention the pedal doesnt come all the way up. If you have cruise on and you press the pedal it disengages. Might be happening to you.....but I dunno for sure.
The cruise control actually never ever works, not even when the pedal sometimes comes all the way up. Not for a minute. Sticky would be a good word to describe it, sometimes it comes up slow and feels like there was bubble gum between the pedal and the floor... i just wish i knew if i should insist the shop fixing it (bad work done) or if the cmc was originally bad when it arrived. Frustrating...
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe they didn't bleed the clutch line properly. You should try rebleeding jic.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Segfault
Maybe they didn't bleed the clutch line properly. You should try rebleeding jic.
They actually rebleedeed it. No help.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

I would send back the CMC and make them refund you. If you want a proper aftermarket cmc, you'll have to get the magnus setup. The ssp is well known to fail, almost everyone who's got one has had it fail at least once. Sorry you got duped.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the same issue. You need to adjust the pedal back. Your cruise control will come back one the pedal is adjusted correclty. I had to back mine out almost all the way. It takes 5 minutes to do yourself. It will also make your clutch work properly. It is a night and day difference. Basically they set the pedal adjustment to low so the clutch is not fully seperating. And the key is no cruise control. Once you are far enough back the clutch starts to work and cruise comes back.

Last edited by RB185AFM; Oct 26, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

one, you need to adjust the pedal correctly . it should be even or below the brake pedal. i keep mine just below the brake pedal. for the issue with the cruise control, you need to adjust the switch that is in front of the pedal (towards the driver) to be depressed when the pedal is not depressed. Its very easy to adjust everything with a couple adjustable wrenches.

Last edited by zabes; Oct 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM.