Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

How to maintain the turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to maintain the turbo?

I am new in turbo cars. How to maintain the turbo? How long would the turbo last if I don't drive it aggressively?

Also, how ofen would an EVO and Raillart require an oil change?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitlan
I am new in turbo cars. How to maintain the turbo? How long would the turbo last if I don't drive it aggressively?

Also, how ofen would an EVO and Raillart require an oil change?
Because it is a factory turbocharged vehicle, there really is no difference in maintenance over a non turboed car. Except you must use synthetic oil and make sure you stick to the scheduled intervals (5,000km/3,000miles). Not that you shouldn't in a non turbocharged car, but the turbo is a lot harder on the oil then a N/A car which causes it to break down more than a vehicle without it.

Depending on modifications, there may be a little more maintenance required but for now if you are stock/minor bolt-ons, just stick to what is outlined in your manual.

If you do a full track day event you may want to consider changing the oil after to avoid any issues. But as far as the turbo's life goes, that all depends on if you tune for more boost or keep it at stock levels. As increased boost will put more stress on it but I don't see why a stock turbo couldn't go 150,000+km (93,000miles)

Last edited by Freebs; Nov 27, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

thank you, very much. So basically, I just need to do the oil change on time
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:20 AM

You could also get a turbo timer or just idle the car down for 1-5 minutes depending on how hard you've got on the go pedal. I am not sure if turbo technology has progresed (oil/water cooled turbos), but the oil could cook on the bearings without cooling it down. Not sure if you guys are running turbo timers.

Freebs,
I know this is OT, but that is a hell of a fleet you got there in the garage. The Evo must feel like a Civic compared to the Z06.

Last edited by ademarco; Nov 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM.