Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Untuned with mods = disaster

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait...so the DP is stock or isn't?

He'll likely be fine, but IDK its still not a smart idea in my opinion. Only because of the test pipe is a bit sketchy, this also means he has a check engine light on too, right?

Whats cold for Texas, 60s?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

again, tell him to get a wideband and monitor... do it the right way so the thought of harming your engine is not in the back of your mind while trying to enjoy the drive
Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:41 PM

lol no cold in texas is about 40degrees on daily commute to work in the am. Its been in the 60s during the day. but soon will be in 50s in day and 30-40 at night.. its sketchy weather man lol...

Yes Down Pipe is stock! I thought it was aftermarket b/c everything else was. mybad..

Why is test pipe sketchy?? too much free flow?

My only concern is b/c with a very free flowing exhaust after the dp it will make the turbo spool time a bit quicker and with that some probs may forsee... ummm his check engine light isnt on "yet" He has a 3in sensor extender on it so it helps a little i guess?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

My 2011 evo x was on a turbo back and intake for 20k miles untuned. I didn't run into any problems. Compression is good. I got the car tuned at 22k miles and the car is faster than ever. Smoother power band. One week after the tune, I got Wideband, boost, EGT, and oil pressure gauges installed. No problems here but i would highly recommend a tune since the car makes so much power. On turbo back and intake only, car baselined at 287 awhp and 306 awtq on a dynojet. After it was tuned, I made 331 awhp and 322 awtq.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 07:09 PM

Believe me i hear ya a tune and a wide band is ridiculously important. Hey AJsgenerx did you notice a good amount of power with your tbe untuned? i can feel a little with his. nothing unlike mine. tuned obviously... But seriously you were not worried at all driving that long untuned??
Old Dec 1, 2011, 09:14 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbosuckout
His Downpipe is STOCK. He is running a ETS Dual Outlet Exhaust with a ETS TESTPIPE. With a ETS SHORTRAM.
Originally Posted by ETS Michael
You can run all our bolt on parts with stock tune. A tune is recommend for optimal performance. But... you can put the parts and go for a while with no problems or check engine lights.

Michael
Fortunately, your buddy bought nice parts.. so he should be okay
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

287 whp compared to maybe 250-260 whp stock? I felt a big difference with just bolt-ons and no tune. The car opened up and didn't fall far behind a tuned 350 awhp tuned Evo X to be honest. Sean Ivey tuned me for better top end. My 3rd and 4th gears feel much stronger compared to being untuned. You're friend should definitely get tuned because for 500 bucks, its well worth it. Couldn't go wrong. However, being untuned with basic bolt-ons won't mechanically destroy the car. My car can serve as an example and my friends on here can vouch for me that the car was driven very spirited through the 20k miles I was untuned.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

lol no cold in texas is about 40degrees on daily commute to work in the am. Its been in the 60s during the day. but soon will be in 50s in day and 30-40 at night.. its sketchy weather man lol...

Yes Down Pipe is stock! I thought it was aftermarket b/c everything else was. mybad..

Why is test pipe sketchy?? too much free flow?

My only concern is b/c with a very free flowing exhaust after the dp it will make the turbo spool time a bit quicker and with that some probs may forsee... ummm his check engine light isnt on "yet" He has a 3in sensor extender on it so it helps a little i guess?
That 3 inch extender is also known as a bored out spark plug anti-fouler. The light will not come on with the anti-fouler in place. The free flowing exhaust can be a concern for boost spike but at the PSI the car runs on stock tune will not lean it out enough to do any damage. Car untuned ~ 22 psi. My car tuned is 25 psi, occasionally spiking to 27 in cold weather. I monitor my AFRs closely during cold weather pulls. Even with a tune, a check engine light could* remain on if you don't run the anti-fouler. My CEL light is still on. I'm waiting for the antifouler to come in. On a Cobb Accessport, my friends CEL never came on.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year is his car? I hear the 2010's and/or 2011's are slightly leaner on a stock tune than the 08's...how much leaner, I have no idea. The 08's are stupid pig rich on the stock tune. I ran around for a good couple months with an intake, intercooler pipes, and full turboback exhaust with a high flow cat, and for some reason I had a MBC turned up to 25psi (before I discovered 3 port solenoids)...all without a tune and it was still running stupid rich...low 10's for AFR, and that was even on an AMS 3" intake.

Based on what I saw on my own car, he'll be perfectly fine.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Believe me i hear ya a tune and a wide band is ridiculously important. Hey AJsgenerx did you notice a good amount of power with your tbe untuned? i can feel a little with his. nothing unlike mine. tuned obviously... But seriously you were not worried at all driving that long untuned??
If it's a 2008 it will probably be fine. If it's a 2010+ it could be running lean. The 2008 were tuned super right like low 10:1 AFR's and misfiring was common due to the rich afr stock. In 2010 they added lean spool to the tuning and overall the cars ran a lot leaner like high 10:1 to low 11:1 AFR so if you had an open element filter and a test pipe back exhaust it could be lean.

Put a wideband in the car for $300 until he can get a real tune, not only will it help with the immediate monitoring but can also save your motor if something rogue were to happen, for example if your FPR hose pops off you'd see the lean spike immediately on the wideband same thing if you're fuel pump relay failed and it didn't switch over to high voltage

Lastly, if your buddy is in DFW and needs further convincing bring them out to one of the local NTEC meets and I'm sure plenty of people will be happy to discuss the options and costs/benefits.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
If it's a 2008 it will probably be fine. If it's a 2010+ it could be running lean. The 2008 were tuned super right like low 10:1 AFR's and misfiring was common due to the rich afr stock. In 2010 they added lean spool to the tuning and overall the cars ran a lot leaner like high 10:1 to low 11:1 AFR so if you had an open element filter and a test pipe back exhaust it could be lean.

Put a wideband in the car for $300 until he can get a real tune, not only will it help with the immediate monitoring but can also save your motor if something rogue were to happen, for example if your FPR hose pops off you'd see the lean spike immediately on the wideband same thing if you're fuel pump relay failed and it didn't switch over to high voltage

Lastly, if your buddy is in DFW and needs further convincing bring them out to one of the local NTEC meets and I'm sure plenty of people will be happy to discuss the options and costs/benefits.

Wow Thanks guys!
His Evo is a 2010.. I told him about all this and he was a lil concerned .. Said he was keeping the exhaust on but would put his works drop in back in.. i said this MAY slow up the intake a hair.. not alot but alittle more than his freakin huge ETS intake.. I mention this to his wife briefly about ruining the car and she is asking me what wide band to get him for xmas haha... any better than none i said. so he may have it in the near future...

So would slowing up the intake a bit like a drop in help a lil more??
Old Dec 3, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Wow Thanks guys!
His Evo is a 2010.. I told him about all this and he was a lil concerned .. Said he was keeping the exhaust on but would put his works drop in back in.. i said this MAY slow up the intake a hair.. not alot but alittle more than his freakin huge ETS intake.. I mention this to his wife briefly about ruining the car and she is asking me what wide band to get him for xmas haha... any better than none i said. so he may have it in the near future...

So would slowing up the intake a bit like a drop in help a lil more??
Do him a favor and tell her to get a wideband that's compatible with Evoscan, to save him tuning headaches down the road if he decides to use Evoscan for tuning. AEM, Zeitronix and Innovative all come to mind.
If I had to choose one thing I'd swap back to stock from the mods you've listed, I'd say swap the stock cat back in. If anything is going to cause a lean condition, it will be the test pipe.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it'll be fine. My friend drove around with those bolt ons for almost a year untuned.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flash one of the gunzo intake, exhaust maps there on here to download.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:42 PM

ok cool thanks Guys all good information i will pass on!

Quick Reply: Untuned with mods = disaster