Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Untuned with mods = disaster

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Untuned with mods = disaster

Ok hold the flame phone here... Just looking for some added advice from evo freaks to back up my knowledge to convince a buddy...
Ok long story short he bought a Injen short ram and a ets tbe exhaust installed both. im advising him to not do it w/o tune since he is opening up the breathing section for the turbo. He did it anyways which its his car his lesson type of thing. how long until he may start to see some problems. I know the x is tuned rich but didnt think rich enough for those w/o tune, told him may run lean. what other probs will we might see in the near future. i told him to take it to cobb but he has to wait for tax return..... Yeah I know... Any more advice on potential risks would be nice so i can relay them
Thks.
Eric
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

if your buddy hasn't already done so, get a wideband gauge and install it. Install the parts and monitor what the car is doing when he's driving it.

good luck
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I was expecting to see a blown engine..

He will prolly be fine. If he's worried about it than just take it pretty easy on it. And I agree with the OP. Buy a wideband make sure everything stays in check.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:37 PM

sorry no blown engines here . yeah i had mentioned to him a wide band to monitor so if it does get to lean too fast he would know. he unfortunately is saving up for tune. I told him don't Mod an evo if you dont have the Green to do it right yknow? I mentioned to him put his Drop in back in until a tune to mildly reduce the air flow going it. he may do that.. But He should be good Right? Whats the worse case senario you ppl have seen?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Probably nothing, but the TBE could potentially cause boost spikes, which probably won't be high enough with stock boost levels, but I still wouldn't risk it, does it have a HFC or test pipe? I'd say with just an intake and cat-back, he'd be fine, but I wouldn't beat on it, especially with the aftermarket DP/HFC.

Why do people mod their cars if they can't do it the right way, or afford it? Buy the mods, have them lying around, install right before you get ready for a tune. No offense to your buddy, but I wouldn't be modding his car if he can't afford a tune without a tax return. Not trying to be a dick in anyway but the cost of repair if something breaks, and is not warrantied is going to be significantly more than a tune.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

It'll be fine.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with HAHAV8. Like when my clutch master cylinder broke...had to instantly fork up over 500 bucks to fix it and the car wasnt drivable. plus its kind of pointless to do those mods anyway unless the car is tuned. I dumped a couple grand in my car and had it tuned within 2 weeks and in between that time, i didnt even feel any power difference. But once it was tuned...
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Just a tune will make way more power than full bolt-ons and no tune.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

i had my car tuned and then decided to put a downpipe on with out tuning and this is what happen
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-my-motor.html
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evokid4life
i had my car tuned and then decided to put a downpipe on with out tuning and this is what happen
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-my-motor.html
Even though in your thread you continually tell people your tune was good and it had nothing to do with not getting retuned after the DP install. You sir confuse me
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they run rich from from the factory... Doing intake n exhaust.. it wouldn't cause it to run lean.. it would be even richer.. he might get rich knock n thats not good.. will he blow up this motor or something probably not.. should he get a tune...YES 1. safer 2. Alot more power
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
they run rich from from the factory... Doing intake n exhaust.. it wouldn't cause it to run lean.. it would be even richer.. he might get rich knock n thats not good.. will he blow up this motor or something probably not.. should he get a tune...YES 1. safer 2. Alot more power
Uhh, I'm pretty sure increasing air intake, and exhaust flow would lean out the AFR, not richen it.

Also its called bore wash, where your AFRs become to rich which is when fuel enters the oil and washes the lubricants causing excessive wear on your internals...aka leading to engine failure.

IMO it is best to have the X tuned regardless if you do bolt-ons or not.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:05 PM

Well i agree and disagree lol... I had always assumed increasing air flow and exhaust exit would make conditions leaner not richer??!?!? But already chewed him a new one explaining if ya can mod right now DONT MOD. No Money no mod!!!! And yeah anything can go wrong. He was banking on a warranty ROFL WHAT WARRANTY!!! IF something goes wrong most times than not they blame it on mods... I would too if i were a dealership. But yeah... i said atleast get a cobb.. anything....... I Can see him beating on it... I know he will beat on it infact.... Jus dont wanna hear the infamous i blew my engine can i borrow money ha.....

Crazy S%*#

Thanks for the wide array of opinions peeps
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Like I said, I wouldn't worry about it if it was just an intake, and cat-back, but since he has a DP also, most likely means hes running a HFC or test pipe, which is just not smart without a tune.

Hopefully he doesn't have to learn the hard way why you do things right on a $35k Evo. This isn't your junker riced out Civic
Old Dec 1, 2011, 05:51 PM

Ok status update... I went to my buddies tonight and we got under his car b/c of misinformed info i was getting.. His Downpipe is STOCK. He is running a ETS Dual Outlet Exhaust with a ETS TESTPIPE. With a ETS SHORTRAM..

So only mods on his car witn NO TUNE is:
DP
EXHAUST
SRI

... SOOOO....

How safe is this setup with no tune till feb... its getting cold here in tx with temps dropping,,,,..
He doesnt have a Wideband either....

Your two Cents Plz... Kinda interested now myself... Ive only owned an evo for this year so my knowledge inst extensive like the rest here.

I coming from a Comptech SC RSX Type S. Now i got a real car.

Quick Reply: Untuned with mods = disaster