Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

X feels choked

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X feels choked

I have had my 2008 X for about 18 months. I picked it up new in 2010...

I previously drove a Mazdaspeed3 with some mods to it, but it had the same issue stock.

The issue is the X feels like it is laboring when under hard acceleration. It feels and sounds like the engine has a lot more to give, but it cant.

Currently the car has a CBE on it. The questions. Is this normal for the X? Will improving the exhaust with a "stealth exhaust" and tune fix this? Or is it a case of I have now gotten used to the power and I want more?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't have a tune, get one, it will feel quick again. You have undoubtedly gotten used to the power. Happens to us all.

Why do you think people end up with 1000whp cars, because they get used to their power bit by bit.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:51 PM

If you have the CBE only and no tune then you need the tune, you will see a BIG difference from the stock tune.

I would recommend going ahead and getting you a intake and finishing your exhaust out to a TBE

You'll be sitting around the 320 mark then.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
So you have a 2008 with the stock tune? There is your problem. I think Mitsu let a bunch of 3 year olds configure the stock tunes for the early model X's.

Last edited by ugakirk; Jan 3, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

yeah get your car tuned, this vehicle does not like it when with aftermarket parts on stock tune.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Stock boost is 22 psi tapering to 14 psi and dropping as you pass 7k, really makes the car feel like it's labouring... and the timing advance on the stock maps is wacky to say the least. The way the stock tables work is that if you see more airflow from mods, there is less timing and richer AFR's to counter much of the gains.

Like others have said, a good tune makes a world of difference!

291 crank HP stock can easily become 380-400 crank HP and some basic bolt-ons since most of the stock parts are still sized well for the stock turbo. Once you look at larger turbos, the parts you upgraded will help more but the tune is what makes it all work together and should never be overlooked.

Quarter mile wise that is a difference of Low 13's @ 104 mph versus low 12's @110-112 mph.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 03:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
in case your not convinced..

get a tune

Old Jan 4, 2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by tephra
in case your not convinced..

get a tune

Or a bigger turbo
Old Jan 4, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by murlo26
If you don't have a tune, get one, it will feel quick again. You have undoubtedly gotten used to the power. Happens to us all.

Why do you think people end up with 1000whp cars, because they get used to their power bit by bit.
^This. I am in the same boat. Need moar powa
Old Jan 4, 2012, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

get an intake at least and tune.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:05 PM

I actually have discussed fitting an intake with my tuner. He advised against it as all it did was lean out the AFR when an exhaust and better intercooler was fitted. He basically said if you are going to get a tune done it is pointless having the intake.

At that stage I had (and still have) an AEM Intake sitting in my room...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well there are some advantages over the stock paper filter, and if you like louder intake sounds and the ability to clean it and install it back into the car, aftermarket is the way to go. It is true that most intakes lean out the AFR's for much of their gains, but when you tune it, all that can be dialed in at the same time.

A good cold air intake setup or a drop in panel filter with more air directed to the intake can help for sure. While some argue it barely helps HP, when at full boost at higher RPM's it does indeed make a difference if the filter is less restrictive and you find a way to avoid sucking in hot underhood air. It's been proven that every 10*F lower intake temps will yield around 1% more power.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Crusher_13
I actually have discussed fitting an intake with my tuner. He advised against it as all it did was lean out the AFR when an exhaust and better intercooler was fitted. He basically said if you are going to get a tune done it is pointless having the intake.

At that stage I had (and still have) an AEM Intake sitting in my room...
I'd find a new tuner.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mnauelg1702
I'd find a new tuner.
++++1 . He sounds like a putz.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:12 AM

The leaner you get the more power you make right? Obviously the trick is getting lean safely and keeping it consistent which is the tunes job?

Quick Reply: X feels choked