Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AWC Issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWC Issue

Had a new issue pop up and did some searching on the forum, only a couple of threads about it. On my 08 X I noticed the other day the display where it shows what AWC mode you're in started flashing, and I wasn't able to change it. It was sporadic and went away after a bit, but yesterday it turned off completely and I got the Service Required light. Some people have said their ACD fluids were low, so I stopped by the dealer today and picked up a couple quarts of Diamond ATF SPIII. Haven't had a chance to fill it yet.

Anyone else ever see this issue come up or have any other solutions in mind? If the indicator is completely off, does that mean power isn't getting transferred through the diff and i'm in 2WD mode?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
You're still AWD, S-AWC just isn't able to do it's job because it's disabled. If your fluid got too low the system may need to be bled.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:50 PM

Ive been reading about some AWC fluid pumps go out in extreme cold weather (-25F) and also heard that sometimes the fluid could become a lot more viscous in extreme cold and allow the pump to do its job. Also, if your just messing around in the snow, and spinning wheels. Then your spinning wheels real fast and not moving much then some components might not be getting the air cooling it needs.

Ive had the same thing happen to me, i just drove it on the highway for a bit. Pulled over switched it off and back on and it went away. This has happened to me a few times and the same thing has fixed it.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KARo7
Pulled over switched it off and back on and it went away. This has happened to me a few times and the same thing has fixed it.
If it went away but came back, there may be a more serious underlying cause. Did you ever investigate it further?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by KARo7
Ive been reading about some AWC fluid pumps go out in extreme cold weather (-25F) and also heard that sometimes the fluid could become a lot more viscous in extreme cold and allow the pump to do its job.
Almost what I was thinking. It hasn't gotten to -25° yet here in Chicago, but this week was the first week nearing single digits. I haven't had a problem in the last 2 winters, but I just had my clutch replaced maybe 9-10k miles ago. The other guy I found who had this problem just replaced his clutch too. I wonder if I lost some fluids in that process?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

When I had my clutch done my resivour was empty. Had to fill, drive, check and repeat till it was within standards. Check your resivor in trunk on right side and see if it is in fact low. If it is not then like others said might be more serious problem.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:13 PM

Just got home from work and checked the reservoir and it was just a hair below max, so I guess it's stealership time...
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:39 AM

Did some more reading on the other forum... A lot of guys in Canada have their AWC pumps go out when the temps drop. Apparently there was a reflash that was supposed to fix the issue, but I'm guessing it has more to do with the fluid thickening up during the cold. I'll post some more info when I hear back from the dealer next week.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:36 PM

There are plenty of posts on these pumps on evoxforums. Search under SAWC, AYC, AWC pump and you see plenty of threads surface. Also, search 161E and 161F.

My car had its pump fail last year in spite of having had the cold reflash done. Fortunately, the car was still under bumper to bumper warranty and had the "revised" pump (more reinforcement so I was told) installed. The fix, should a new pump be required is $2500+. However, i am aware of several owners who received revised pumps and have already been through 3 failed revised pumps

Members on evoxforums are also putting together a list of Evo's with failures in hopes of sending an official complaint to Mitsubishi.

To suggest a few links:

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58116

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58221

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...trouble-6.html

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...ed+pump&page=7

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/tags/awc.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/to...failure-2.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-working.html

I hope this helps!

Last edited by ccf7; Jan 22, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:29 AM

Yup, they confirmed the pump failed. They're doing the reflash too. The tech says there isn't a less viscous fluid we can use though, so it seems there is no real fix to the problem.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The reflash is the only "solution" so far. The reflash delays the start of the pump until - in theory - the rear diff has warmed up.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
The reflash is the only "solution" so far. The reflash delays the start of the pump until - in theory - the rear diff has warmed up.

Unfortunately, the reflash is less of a solution than was perhaps originally hoped for by Mitsu. A number of the cars that have had the pumps replaced, also had the reflash, only for the replacement pump to fail the next year
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep. First, cold and thick fluid is not the only thing that can kill an AYC pump. Second, on a very cold day, the fluid doesn't actually get much warmer after five minutes of driving, so delaying the start doesn't do a whole lot.

Upshot: R&D needs to be done in the countries of sale, as well as the country of origin. For another example, compare the high-speed compression damping of aftermarket shocks from countries that do and don't have frost-heave issues.