Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Power loss and weird idle issue .. Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power loss and weird idle issue .. Please help!!

Hello everyone, I'm a new owner with an 11 GSR..I've been lurking for a while but I never posted here before..

My car has about 6k miles on it. Dealer recently changed my Ecu because my Ecu was giving me weird SES lights with Error codes with no reason.. Car is bone stock and dealer was checked everything..It turns out I had a bad ecu..

Anyways, ever since they replaced the ECU car feels little slower than it used to be, like it's not boosting or clutch is slipping or something but I highly doubt I lost my clutch since I never lunch the car or anything and when I rev the engine, idle seems to be dropping little slow..like it's dragging . There is no SES or CEL, though.
I've searched but couldn't find my answer here and there.

Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

I wonder if they used an older ECU (08-09). I know that the stock tunes were running richer than the 2010s.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:41 PM

hmm, interesting .. Why would they do that though? car is a 2011 GSR, are they interchangeable? if so, how can I tell if it's an older Ecu?

Thanks for the prompt response
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

The ECU is a smart logic unit, and it makes long-term changes to things like fuel trims. Your old ECU would have been making some changes over time, but now that you have a new one everything is reset back to baseline. Drive it for a while and see if the car's performance goes back to what it was before. If you don't notice any changes after a few thousand miles, that means something else is going on. Also, find out if the dealer flashed all the newest firmware for you after they swapped the ECU. I'm not saying that this explains your issue, but at least it's a start.

To answer your question regarding whether or not it's a 2011+ ECU, the part number should be on your work order. You can go to the dealership and find out what the 2011 ECU part number is and compare it to yours. I don't see why they would drop an older ECU into a newer car, because when they input your VIN into the ordering system, it would have found the proper part number for your ECU. I don't even think the system would have shown them the part number for an older Evo unless they went looking for it.

Last edited by SudzRA; Feb 14, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SudzRA
The ECU is a smart logic unit, and it makes long-term changes to things like fuel trims. Your old ECU would have been making some changes over time, but now that you have a new one everything is reset back to baseline. Drive it for a while and see if the car's performance goes back to what it was before. If you don't notice any changes after a few thousand miles, that means something else is going on. Also, find out if the dealer flashed all the newest firmware for you after they swapped the ECU. I'm not saying that this explains your issue, but at least it's a start.
this is good advice, but I'd let the dealer know about the issue now. That way when it's not sorted out after driving a bit, they can't try to say it's not their issue.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:35 PM

Definitely take it and drop it off with the dealership. Since your car is bone stock and so new they should fix it free. My buddy bought a 2010 Evo X and had some issues like you talked about. Turns out the car had 20,000 miles and it had a brand new engine installed within the last 1000 miles. They ended up reflashing the ECU and the car ran great after that. My friend did have to buy a new clutch though that the dealership didn't cover.