Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Random lean spikes and almost stalled after starting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsmits2689
Well it hasn't been acting up the past few days.. I'm starting to wonder if it was just some bad fuel because I had to get gas on base the other day because I didn't have time to go to a shell or BP.. Filled up at shell the other day and everything seems to be good. Which o2 sensor because I have a CEL light that won't go away because I have an aftermarket o2 sensor that the ecu won't pick up on and also a wideband installed on my downpipe..
the front o2 sensor is the 1 i'm referring to cause it is the 1 that will give more fuel or take it away. tells the ecm rich or lean but that is about it cause it is a narrowband sensor. glad to hear it is running ok now
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:47 PM

Just curious, where is the front o2 sensor located? Might be a dumb question but I'm new to working on my own cars. And I just realized the front o2 sensor is a $300 part, but I doubt it needs to be replaced I just wanna know where it's at if this problem gets worse and it does end up being that because it makes sense.. Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:05 PM

Ahhhh I'm so frustrated right now. Got my new relays today and the idle was spot on. I go out and run some errands and as I'm leaving wally world my car dipped rpms again on startup to about 400. I have no idea what's going on and it's driving me crazy! I can't replicate it either so idk what's going on. It's almost like it's not getting enough gas because if I rev it up and kinda help it out it gets better. But it's totally random. It hasn't happened since my original post. I'm totally confused now and I know I couldn't take it to the dealership to replicate it. But I'm starting to wonder what they did for my 30 month inspection because I had a new rattle coming from the downpipe area it seems when I started my car to leave, but it comes and goes. I'm going to call the tech tomorrow because I had none of these issues before I took it to them.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:37 AM

Found the culprit... exhaust manifold gasket. Apparently it's cracked, I hear a ticking coming from the engine bay obviously by the exhaust mani. So if you're reading this thread due to the same issues I was having check your fpr hose, relays, o2 sensors, and for leaky gaskets. Been scratching my head for the past couple weeks and it took a simple 1on1 with my engine bay for about 15 minutes and I noticed the ticking because you have to pay attention to hear it because our engines make all kinds of ticks lol.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Im having an issue similar to that ill have to look up the exhaust manifold gasket to see if thats also the culprit
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:53 PM

I have the same problem at idle it usually sits around 14.5 and sometimes goes to high 16s and 17s and feels like it wants to die and then corrects itself. I have 280 cams so is that the cause?

Also, can going lean mess up your motor at idle? or is that only when in boost?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same exact issue. My wideband sometimes read 19s at idle and car almost stalled. When i first got my car tuned, it would sit at around 14.7. Now it idles leaner but i thought it was the modifications i added after the tune. Maybe not. Car is getting retuned on Thursday. New AMS widemouth downpipe will be replacing my megan. I have to check everything out. Damn...im worried.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

My megan downpipe was leaking by the O2 housing but it was not the cause of this idle issue. Here's a video of my lean idle spike. This was after the AMS widemouth downpipe install with all leaks fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8xB...e_gdata_player