Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AEM intake mod

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
AEM intake mod

The only downside that I've heard of with regard to the AEM intake is that it places the MAF a little too close to the filter, which throws off the reading a bit. The Injen, for example, seems to require a lower MAF compensation, because the MAF is much further away from the filter. But the AEM, with its big box tied in to the OE location for getting fresh air, has the lowest IATs (although the Injen isn't that far behind). My goal is to get the best of both worlds.

The idea is to simply move the MAF a bit further along on the metal pipe, away from the filter. In a dream situation, you'd just turn the pipe around, but the two ends are not the same, so that seems to be out. So, here's the question: how would you move the MAF a bit further back on the pipe?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
The only downside that I've heard of with regard to the AEM intake is that it places the MAF a little too close to the filter, which throws off the reading a bit. The Injen, for example, seems to require a lower MAF compensation, because the MAF is much further away from the filter. But the AEM, with its big box tied in to the OE location for getting fresh air, has the lowest IATs (although the Injen isn't that far behind). My goal is to get the best of both worlds.

The idea is to simply move the MAF a bit further along on the metal pipe, away from the filter. In a dream situation, you'd just turn the pipe around, but the two ends are not the same, so that seems to be out. So, here's the question: how would you move the MAF a bit further back on the pipe?
where have you heard that?

Mike@RRE said he prefers AEM intakes because they're one of the only ones that DO place the MAF the correct distance away from the filter
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exyia
where have you heard that?
Here's one example: http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=83379.0 You have to scroll down a bit, but you'll see it.

If what I've read is wrong, then I'll be delighted. Please use small words if you try to explain it to me. I'm not an engine-guy.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Why is this an issue? Tune it correctly and they work fine the way they are. I've tuned countless AEM intakes on the 10 with no issues.

I also run an AEM intake system on my personal car for almost two years now and do not see any of these "Trim drifts".
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:12 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Here's one example: http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=83379.0 You have to scroll down a bit, but you'll see it.

If what I've read is wrong, then I'll be delighted. Please use small words if you try to explain it to me. I'm not an engine-guy.
Not to belittle the ablilties of the thread starter in your link, but I'd have infinitely more faith in the opinion of someone like this guy:

Originally Posted by razorlab
Why is this an issue? Tune it correctly and they work fine the way they are. I've tuned countless AEM intakes on the 10 with no issues.

I also run an AEM intake system on my personal car for almost two years now and do not see any of these "Trim drifts".
Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

I know enough to know that, if it doesn't drift, then who cares if it's 6% or 10%. Plus, nothing seems to come close to the AEM box for IATs. I will (try to) stop worrying about this issue. Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:09 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Stock airbox here with aftermarket turbo.