Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Air Intake, bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Intake, bolt ons

Hello,

I drive an 08 GSR and I'm still under warranty but I want to mess with my car sooo bad. I've been reading around in various places and it seems like a tune is the most beneficial upgrade. Since they have a flash counter this is out of the question. Would I still feel / notice a difference with an air intake? exhaust? worth the money and time to install without planning on tuning the vehicle? Will this put unnecessary wear and tear on my engine? I appreciate any advice on these matters.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

yes, get a intake and a exhaust. you should be fine without a tune. the car comes stock pig rich.
you will feel noticeable gain in power too.

My warranty went out on my 08 last year... isnt it only 3 yrs?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A tune will be required depending on the bolt ons. I use to think differently because of other cars that i owned but the Evo is abit different. I just got back from over seas and i have/had about $10,000 in parts waiting for me. One the car as it sat had a AMS widemouth DP and Resinated Test Pipe...no tune required for that (AFR and Boost was perfect)..i was spiking at 22psi

Once i got home i installed a AMS Upper Intercooler Pipe and AMS SRI, boost raised itself to 26psi. Few days later i installed a Tomei Expreme Exhaust, AMS LICP w/ TiAL QR BOV and the cold air intake attachment. Now a tune is defently required because i spike at 30psi and the engine light comes on, car jerks and says "service AYC system"

So in otherwords, becareful with what mods you pick without a tune.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:57 AM

I would say get a tune too. Most likely will have overboost issues. I also do not believe there is a flash counter..at least for the 2008 models I do not think there is...could be wrong though but I do not recall anyone verifying that there was one.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:34 AM

Really? anybody else have anything to say on the 2008 not having a flash counter for tuning?

And the warranty is 3yr/36k bumper to bumper but 5yr/60k power train. Mine rolled off the lot in
August 2009, and is only at like 38k miles so I still have a ways to go.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Snakes709
A tune will be required depending on the bolt ons. I use to think differently because of other cars that i owned but the Evo is abit different. I just got back from over seas and i have/had about $10,000 in parts waiting for me. One the car as it sat had a AMS widemouth DP and Resinated Test Pipe...no tune required for that (AFR and Boost was perfect)..i was spiking at 22psi

Once i got home i installed a AMS Upper Intercooler Pipe and AMS SRI, boost raised itself to 26psi. Few days later i installed a Tomei Expreme Exhaust, AMS LICP w/ TiAL QR BOV and the cold air intake attachment. Now a tune is defently required because i spike at 30psi and the engine light comes on, car jerks and says "service AYC system"

So in otherwords, becareful with what mods you pick without a tune.
i agree with this post. just installed full AMS turboback exhaust with wide mouth, upper and lower piping, intercooler, cold air intake all from AMS with tial bov. car jerks and overboosts. tune is required def with these parts. every car is different and each combination of parts require different types of tuning
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:46 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

If you do exhaust and intake you will probably be ok without a tune. I have WORKS air filter and catback exhaust. I couldn't tell any difference at all with those installed. Once I got tuned, my car gained over 50 whp and now it's simply amazing to drive. Get a tune no matter what. Even if you keep your car completely stock, STILL get it tuned. The car drives like **** from the factory -- you won't believe the difference. It's night and day.

I've taken my car to the dealership 3 or 4 times and they've never said anything about the tune, or filter, or exhaust. I can't believe you've made it this long without getting it tuned lol. Mine was so boring from the factory...slower than my Mazdaspeed 3 or SRT-4. Now it absolutely screams with barely any mods done. Who gives a **** about the warranty, anyway. The dealership will argue to the grave that whatever is wrong is your fault, even if you're stock. Such a huge pain in the ***.

Last edited by Laz; Mar 13, 2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:58 AM

I would probly get a tune.