Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

08 evo x starts with clutch out in neutral?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 evo x starts with clutch out in neutral?

Hey guys. This is my first post here. I have a 08 evo x. My question to you guys is it normal for the evo to start with the clutch out if its in neutral? Obviously most manual cars you need to press the clutch down. Is this normal when i put it in first gear and try to start it with the clutch out it bucks foward like you let the clutch out too quick. Is this normal do these cars have a clutch switch? Thanks guy!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:38 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Yeah, you have to press the clutch in or the car won't start.

If yours is starting in 1st w/the clutch out then something definitely isn't right.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by afd
yeah, you have to press the clutch in or the car won't start.

If yours is starting in 1st w/the clutch out then something definitely isn't right.
+1
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Many people short-out the clutch switch related to the starter because they believe that starting with clutch in causes wear on the thrust bearing. (This was actually true on 4G63s; no idea about 4B11s.) If the was bought used, maybe the previous owner did this.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

^^ Could be the case.

If that happens to be true w/the cz4a.. would starting with the clutch in, but in neutral cause the same wear?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Anyone know how to do this? I did it on my IX so I could clutchless-start and would like to do the same on my X.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AFD
If that happens to be true w/the cz4a.. would starting with the clutch in, but in neutral cause the same wear?
The pressure plate is basically pulling against the crank anytime the clutch is depressed. I release the clutch ASAP after starting the engine.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kracka
Anyone know how to do this? I did it on my IX so I could clutchless-start and would like to do the same on my X.
Look around your clutch pedal (usually at the bottom back side of clutch Arm) and find the switch that is used to trigger and unplug it, or push it out of the way.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by desiromeo812
Look around your clutch pedal (usually at the bottom back side of clutch Arm) and find the switch that is used to trigger and unplug it, or push it out of the way.
The X has a single sensor where the IX had two so I'm not sure if it's that simple.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:01 PM

hey guys, so i looked under my dash and I see the white little button/switch the clutch pedal hits when all the way down. I think the previous owner bypassed it when installing a hks turbo timer for the vehicle. Does that sound right?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:28 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

The pressure plate is basically pulling against the crank anytime the clutch is depressed. I release the clutch ASAP after starting the engine.
Gotcha, thanks! So, is it also a good idea to idle at stoplights in neutral with clutch out as well?? Don't think you're really supposed to legally, but just wondering from a wear and tear standpoint.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hmmm... this is all news to me... typically you can jump the plug or just disconnect the sensor to bypass it. thats probably the case for the OP

i have never heard the thrust bearing issue before. ever... i actually sit there and pump my clutch when i'm bored...
i can see how the pressure plate puts tension on everything but i could swear the pilot shaft pressed into the flywheel and wouldn't that counter the effect? anyway offtopic i know.

best of luck with the issue..
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:38 AM

@afd, i sit at a stoplight all the time in neutral. But i see the sensor behind the clutch pedal but its unplugged and i cant seem to find the plug that plugs into it? Any help?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AFD
Gotcha, thanks! So, is it also a good idea to idle at stoplights in neutral with clutch out as well?? Don't think you're really supposed to legally, but just wondering from a wear and tear standpoint.
I never sit at stoplights with the clutch in, I always put the transmission in neutral and release the clutch. This also saves wear & tear on the throwout bearing.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The X has a single sensor where the IX had two so I'm not sure if it's that simple.
I don't believe that this is correct. The Evo X has two sensors, one that detects that the clutch is all the way down (which is used for the starter and, maybe, the clutch-in rev-limiter) and one that detects that the clutch is down at least a little (which is used to turn off the cruise control [and, maybe, open the center diff]).

Maybe you meant that the Evo X has only one fully-down clutch switch, which will make it hard to disable the need to press the clutch to start without having the clutch-in rev-limiter active all the time. If so, apologies. The OP may need a work-around for the clutch-in rev-limiter via software.

In any event, it's all described and discussed here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...vo-x-10-a.html

Quick Reply: 08 evo x starts with clutch out in neutral?