Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR vs GSR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR vs GSR

Iv'e been seriously considering buying a EVO X and i'm torn between the MR and the GSR. While browsing in the fourms it seems that almost all of the high HP cars are GSR's. I'm leaning towards the MR cause most of my driving will be in traffic and MR transmission will suit me better. I do plan on doing some mods, id like to get it around 450-550 hp. My question is how much HP is the SST trans capable of handing?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
You'll need aftermarket discs, but it can handle that power.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Cool thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly you should test drive both cars at the dealership instead of just thinking about it all day long... once you test drive it , you will know what you want!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:40 PM

The 6 speeds are much weaker then the 5 speeds..6th gear synchros tend to go out around 60k miles. The gearing would be much better for freeway driving tho
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
you mean clutch??
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:33 AM

He means disc, he was talking about the MR not GSR. MR uses clutch discs.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

The MR has a great transmission, especially if more of your driving is done in heavy traffic like you have stated. All in all, if you are building this thing for power in that range, and don't want to question the transmissions reliability and spend more money, go with the GSR. Yes, you will have to drive stick in traffic (as I do myself), but ultimately you will enjoy the drive and amazing power when you're NOT in traffic. P.S. The MR's are much harder to tune over the GSR.

P.S. Where are you going to need 450-550hp in traffic lol?

Last edited by Pbayr0lla321; Apr 14, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:40 AM
Account Disabled

I'm uber happy with my MR, Yes it would be cheaper to go 450-500hp on a gsr. and possibly more fun.. but for everyday driving i quite enjoy the mr.
you can sit in traffic one minute minding your own business then when things open up be in manual S-sport feeling like your a farrari driver on that favorite exit ramp of yours.
only prob is while driving you can only get from normal to sport.. you'll need to come to a stop light or something to get it in to Super sport.

You'll want to test drive them both. As much as i like a manual.. not sure if i'll ever go back. sst is just too convienant. ps launch control is rediculus.. at the 1/4 mile last year this guido looking dude in a G3 coupe, he was doing a track stand spinning his rear wheels. here i was waiting for my first set of yellows then foot on the gas and other on the break.. let off the break and BAM GREEN, flying through the gears leaping past the g35 and off to a 13.462 @ 101.83 at 1150m above sea level in a stock mr with Access port 93 beta tune.. then pretty much the same thing the next round but it was an older bmw m3

If you want my opinion on the interior... i might have some harsh words.. but i honestly didn't buy the car for the interior.. in my honest opinon.. the gsr should come standard with mr interior less the sun roof.. and the MR should come standard with something worth about 3000-5000$ better looking, smelling, sounding etc. higher quality leather, 50lbs more sound deadening in more strategic spots. doors that when shut sound less like tin can's I find that the front doors sound alright but the rear doors sound like they came right off a base lancer.. I also wish that the trans was a bit more like the gtr.. where you can shift down in to nutral, then reverse via the paddles. i also wish it looked more like a merc,gtr shifting box with the gated groove.. instead of a normal looking "AUTO" front to back type thing. everyone that gets in the car think's it's a normal Auto trans. to the point where i dont even bother trying to explain the diffrence anymore. Also... lol i wish that cirten settings would be programable/ IE a winter mode1 winter mode 2 first one is tc on with snow selection or summer mode 3 tc off off with S-sport.. etc etc.. also wish the seats would be electric, programable, also wish the steering wheel would telescope. and well the list could go on and on. But again.. I didn't buy the car for those reason's their only a wish list. for a possible 60K future version, ment to compete with C3504matic which here in canada is just over 60k with fees and taxes
then the 335xi with taxes and fees is also just over 60k.

there should be like 5 models
-bare bones gsr like normal
-bare bones racing model with two peice breaks better suspension (track use type things) lock able hood pins, roll up winows, no radio no nothing.
-Then a Touring type GSR manual with all the bells like the mr leather, rockford stereo, sun roof etc etc
-then a Touring type MR
-Then Lux MR , Refined interior materials, Thick quality leather, more sound deadening, more features installed. rear camera, all the extra junk thrown at it.. may not be as fast as the bare bones racer.. but keeps up plenty to the merc bmw boxer etc etc.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^well you can't have everything.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
For dd the mr is a better choice. I wouldnt go by hp numbers in this case. The most important is your tq numbers.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostAddict420
The 6 speeds are much weaker then the 5 speeds..6th gear synchros tend to go out around 60k miles. The gearing would be much better for freeway driving tho
This is an evox thread
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostAddict420
I think you were confusing the Evo 9 MR and what we are talking about here, the Evo X MR vs Evo X GSR.

Personally I've driven (and tracked) both models and even though I was once firmly on the 5 speed is the only way camp, I've since changed my mind and really enjoy the paddle shifter setup. It's definitely worth some time on the road course because reaching down to shift can be difficult in technical sections of a track or where upshifting and then downshifting quickly can be a hassle. The gearing is better overall since 5th isn't forced to go from 115 mph to your top speed which seems to penalize the GSR on long straights.

While power holding isn't easy to tune for, it can be done and you can still hit the 600-700 crank HP range if you can keep the torque levels conservative over a wide RPM range and upgrade the clutch packs. Even the stock clutches will hold out ok up to 500 crank HP if you avoid sudden surges of torque in the tune and don't abuse the car.

As far as daily driving, it's pretty easy to just let the car shift itself although I still find myself doing the shift points manually 95% of the time so I can keep the RPM's exactly where I want them. In "Normal" mode I don't like the extra shifts it tends to automatically do in the name of cruising at 2k rpm in 6th gear. I figure the it's just extra wear if it has to make extra shifts only to downshift again as soon as you have to slow down which can sometimes happen too aggressively because the car can't see what's coming up down the road. "Sport" mode tends to hover at 4k rpm which is slightly too high rpm, and "Super Sport" mode auto shifting is just too aggressive for my tastes, even on the track, since it hangs at max RPM per gear.

Definitely see if you can test drive both, can't really go wrong with either as they are both Evo X's!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

I thought the MR was right for me since it's a DD and I test drove one. I bought it and thought I was good until I drove a friends GSR. With 10 years of manual experience, I knew I made a mistake after the test drive. Aside from insane shift speeds of the SST and convenience in traffic, it absolutely sucks in slow driving conditions like Parking or when you're coming to a stop and then suddenly need to get going again. It gets confused which I did not like.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i love the MR transmission, i think it's one of the better flappy paddle gearboxes out there but personal preference... i choose the "bare bones" of the cheaper gsr and of course the $$ saved.

if i did get an MR i would have wanted it without the touring package or the premium package. i wouldnt want the added weight of the sunroof, i dont like the recaros in leather. i dont need heated seats and i strongly dislike the color keyed body vents and chrome trim.

Quick Reply: MR vs GSR