Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

CP-E exhaust / company issues anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CP-E exhaust / company issues anyone?

First let me say by no means is this a bashing.... just fustration.

About 9 months ago i bought the CP-E quick power pipe (HFC) and dual canister resonated exhaust. I installed it myself. The first thing i had an issue was at the rear where the slip joint is... didnt slip. it seemed to be slightly out of round. i could only find a 3" exhaust pipe expander... my exhaust is already 3", so that was not of much help. So i basically had to muscle it to go on the pipe. This i chalked up as maybe damage during shipping. Not a big deal, i know sometimes things get bumped and what have you. at this point exhaust is put together and car running.

For the last few months i had noticed an exhaust leak under my car. this leak had occured at the post cat / cbe flange. upon inspection i noticed that there was black soot coming from between the 2 flanges. i tightened it down and went about my business. week later same spot is leaking between flanges, but this time gasket had been blown out. I figured maybe cheapo gasket. i purchased another and replaced again. last month again the leak came back, and another gasket blown out. I took it to a exhaust shop and asked them to look at it. they repoerted that the flange at the CBE side was bent causing it to not seal properly, causing the leaks and blow outs. they said sind the flanges are almost 1/2" think, heating it up to try to straighten it out , would never seal right again.

I contacted CP-E that very day by email since i couldnt get anyone to return my calls. i stated the problem and asked if they could at least give me a deal on a new one. i was willing to buy another since it was not caught at the time of install. 2 weeks ago i get an email asking me if this problem has been resolved yet?... i replied to them that i purchased a Grimspeed 2x thick gasket to see if it seals.. (so far so good). their response was... let us know if that worked or not. at this point i was thinking they want me to spend my money to make something work that is obvious defect on their end first before they are willing to take care of it.... (since there is no was our cars make enough heat to warp stainless steel that thick)....

yesterday my car had been running crappy and real lean. noticed my exhaust had sounded like a honda with a fart can.... very raspy. upon inspection i find this...

since it was installed it has only been remove once, also never have i run over or hit anything to cause damage.

what your looking at is the weld after the cat. only 10% intact

i callled CP-E to day and this is how it went.

called Customer service and asked to speak with the person i had email contact with:
his reply was: what company do you work for
me: i dont work for a company, it is about a product of yours.
his reply: well what is the problem
i stated the same issue as i did in email
he responded with ... (in a snotty tone of voice)... well i dont know anything about that. i'm starting to get upset here. then transfers me to the gentleman i had email contact with.

i stated who i was to him. he responded with... ummm ok. in the tone of voice like he is being bothered. i addressed the problem with him. right away he was on the defensive talking about how their limetime warranty is unheard of in the industry and most are 1 year if that. ... again cool, i got that. told me since it is under warranty i needed to send it to them to either get fixed or replaced. i stated that i have one issue, it is my daily driver and dont want it to cost me to change my tune to run an oem cat or test pipe. again also in rude voice..... we get that alot about someones daily driver, we cant just be sending out parts to everyone. at this point i am heated... i told him i sent you apic of this in an email. not trying to get something for free. then he says well you can BUY another HFC and send us the one you have to get fixed then sell it on ebay to get some of your money back.. basically once again wants me to spend my money to fix something that is a defect..... i'm like WTF did he just tell me?... at this point im going to have it locally welded and see if it is a fix. IF i do buy another i can promise, based on how i was treated from here it will not be from them. Although i do like the exhaust tone as do alot of others that ask what kind it is. I hate spending money and when something is jacked up and trying to get it rectified and not looking for free stuff, getting treated like garbage.

Last edited by armysoldier1073; Mar 21, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear bro, you know I see more and more vendors pop up all the time now. They all want to capitalize on the Evo community, sadly they are out for our money by producing products that don't exceed our expectations. Hopefully you can at least find some resolve with this issue. Best of luck
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Tribal... nice to see another Military member. can you see the pic?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

It almost looks as if the material is way too thin in the pic. If the tubing is very thin no weld is going to stop it from cracking because there is not enough bearing surface to weld. tinner metal = cheaper. Since its a HFC you should be able to put a test pipe in for awhile without changing tune...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

wow

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
First let me say by no means is this a bashing.... just fustration.

About 9 months ago i bought the CP-E quick power pipe (HFC) and dual canister resonated exhaust. I installed it myself. The first thing i had an issue was at the rear where the slip joint is... didnt slip. it seemed to be slightly out of round. i could only find a 3" exhaust pipe expander... my exhaust is already 3", so that was not of much help. So i basically had to muscle it to go on the pipe. This i chalked up as maybe damage during shipping. Not a big deal, i know sometimes things get bumped and what have you. at this point exhaust is put together and car running.

For the last few months i had noticed an exhaust leak under my car. this leak had occured at the post cat / cbe flange. upon inspection i noticed that there was black soot coming from between the 2 flanges. i tightened it down and went about my business. week later same spot is leaking between flanges, but this time gasket had been blown out. I figured maybe cheapo gasket. i purchased another and replaced again. last month again the leak came back, and another gasket blown out. I took it to a exhaust shop and asked them to look at it. they repoerted that the flange at the CBE side was bent causing it to not seal properly, causing the leaks and blow outs. they said sind the flanges are almost 1/2" think, heating it up to try to straighten it out , would never seal right again.

I contacted CP-E that very day by email since i couldnt get anyone to return my calls. i stated the problem and asked if they could at least give me a deal on a new one. i was willing to buy another since it was not caught at the time of install. 2 weeks ago i get an email asking me if this problem has been resolved yet?... i replied to them that i purchased a Grimspeed 2x thick gasket to see if it seals.. (so far so good). their response was... let us know if that worked or not. at this point i was thinking they want me to spend my money to make something work that is obvious defect on their end first before they are willing to take care of it.... (since there is no was our cars make enough heat to warp stainless steel that thick)....

yesterday my car had been running crappy and real lean. noticed my exhaust had sounded like a honda with a fart can.... very raspy. upon inspection i find this...

since it was installed it has only been remove once, also never have i run over or hit anything to cause damage.

what your looking at is the weld after the cat. only 10% intact

i callled CP-E to day and this is how it went.

called Customer service and asked to speak with the person i had email contact with:
his reply was: what company do you work for
me: i dont work for a company, it is about a product of yours.
his reply: well what is the problem
i stated the same issue as i did in email
he responded with ... (in a snotty tone of voice)... well i dont know anything about that. i'm starting to get upset here. then transfers me to the gentleman i had email contact with.

i stated who i was to him. he responded with... ummm ok. in the tone of voice like he is being bothered. i addressed the problem with him. right away he was on the defensive talking about how their limetime warranty is unheard of in the industry and most are 1 year if that. ... again cool, i got that. told me since it is under warranty i needed to send it to them to either get fixed or replaced. i stated that i have one issue, it is my daily driver and dont want it to cost me to change my tune to run an oem cat or test pipe. again also in rude voice..... we get that alot about someones daily driver, we cant just be sending out parts to everyone. at this point i am heated... i told him i sent you apic of this in an email. not trying to get something for free. then he says well you can BUY another HFC and send us the one you have to get fixed then sell it on ebay to get some of your money back.. basically once again wants me to spend my money to fix something that is a defect..... i'm like WTF did he just tell me?... at this point im going to have it locally welded and see if it is a fix. IF i do buy another i can promise, based on how i was treated from here it will not be from them. Although i do like the exhaust tone as do alot of others that ask what kind it is. I hate spending money and when something is jacked up and trying to get it rectified and not looking for free stuff, getting treated like garbage.

Wow, that looks TERRIBLE... Hopefully they'll man-up and resolve this issue the RIGHT way! Nobody especially a U.S. Army troop should have to get this kind of service. Its not like you're trying to have the entire exhaust replaced. Good luck!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:40 PM

sorry to see your issue with CP-E.

I have a CP-E dual exhaust with resonators. I like it very much. It was mod a bit to fit the oem cat converter though. So far no problems, been running it for almost 2 yrs already. The quality is great but about your HFC, doesn't look right. looks like the metal is so thin.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

Tribal... nice to see another Military member. can you see the pic?
Yeah I can see the pic. Believe or not there are a ton of military members on this forum, are you NG?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

oh no... not NG active US Army.... currently on detail as a Recruiter. There was a thread somewhere on here where us in the military stated branch and stuff. I was originally a 13B, now 88M.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

oh no... not NG active US Army.... currently on detail as a Recruiter. There was a thread somewhere on here where us in the military stated branch and stuff. I was originally a 13B, now 88M.
sweet, hows it going there?. I am a 13B AIT Platoon Sergeant in Tradoc here on Fort Sill.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Sucks. Hate being in an office. Rather be training with Soldiers.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Update: dropped off pipe to get welded. They can fix the weld but bit the cat. The material spins freely and moves around at will( not supposed to). So weld is temp fix till I buy another..