Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

s-awc problem in warm weather

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
s-awc problem in warm weather

.. Sorry to beat this dead horse ,but a month ago i was driving and i got a light on the dash that showed a drivetrain with the front wheels angled.I parked the car for a week or so . i had the wife take it in and it had a code of c161e. . they said there was a new flash for it so my wife waited and they flashed it and while she was driving home the tarmac light started flashing.. so i brought it back the next day and they got a code c161f. when it first had the light it was 30-40 degrees outside.. and the flashing tarmac only happens when it is warmer than 60 degrees... so when it colder than 60 i have no flashing light,but 60 or warmer and the light flashes almost nonstop. anyone else have this issue?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A C161F is the code that's thrown when the S-AWC goes into fail-safe mode. Time to go back. I hope for your sake that you're under 5yrs / 60k, because your pump may be dead.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
A C161F is the code that's thrown when the S-AWC goes into fail-safe mode. Time to go back. I hope for your sake that you're under 5yrs / 60k, because your pump may be dead.
i am not over that mileage ,but they called mitsu tech help and they asked for the number off my ecu (program number i guess) and mine did not match so they knew it had been flashed.. they told me the cause of the pump dieing is from over rev because the car is tuned.. i know better ,but the rep feels he is a car savvy guy . even though a new rally art had the same problem . it was in at the same time as my car.. it was stock wonder if he over revved also lol.. i just had a timing chain go out also.. 4weeks ago.. that was denied also.. thinking about talking to a lawyer and getting everyone involed that has had my issue and start a class action suit against mitsu
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

I am not a lawyer, but I don't see you winning this. While I might agree that the link between either a tune or an over-rev and an S-AWC issue is weak, it's strong enough for you to lose, as both are drivetrain. Why you took the car back to a dealer that had already denied you is beyond me. I don't see you winning the previous denial either. The link between a stretched timing chain and an over-rev is a no-brainer for a judge, even if you don't agree.

If there ever is anything like a class-action on the stretched chains (which I doubt), you won't be part of it. No lawyer is going to let someone with a tune and your mods take part.

Last edited by Iowa999; Mar 27, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:54 AM

I am not a lawyer, but I don't see you winning this. While I might agree that the link between either a tune or an over-rev and an S-AWC issue is weak, it's strong enough for you to lose, as both are drivetrain. Why you took the car back to a dealer that had already denied you is beyond me. I don't see you winning the previous denial either. The link between a stretched timing chain and an over-rev is a no-brainer for a judge, even if you don't agree.

If there ever is anything like a class-action on the stretched chains (which I doubt), you won't be part of it. No lawyer is going to let someone with a tune and your mods take part.
i agree with ya thats why i have not done anything other than complain lol
i should mention there is no proof of an over rev.. the rep says tuned cars over rev .. as for chain stretch i have a record of having at the dealer with the warning for it on my dash 24 hrs after i bought the car with 45 miles on it. they said it was a ecu error and they would clear it ( max madsen) now i figure they reset values then .. i had no light when the chain went bad which was odd since it stretched 2" per ams.. they took picture because they could not believe i did not destroy my valves... i am just venting this car has been the worst purchase i have ever made.. i had such high hopes for this car.. i love the looks other than that i wish someone would smash it lol..
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Wow. I can't see how the chain is even capable of a 2" stretch and, if it did, then how you didn't have hits is beyond me. You have had some bad luck. As to the over-rev, our ECUs store rev events above some crazy random-seeming number like 8043 rpm. If you do pursue this, demand to see the freeze-frame data.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I'm not mistaken, the pump has nothing correlated with over-revving the engine or anything of the likes. The pump engages based off of the way the vehicle is physically being driven (eg. Going through turns at high speeds, cornering, performance driving). Seeing as the issue you are having now stemmed from the issue you took it in earlier, I would make them fix the problem. Your vehicle came in with an issue, and left with another, they did not properly fix the car.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:15 PM

Wow. I can't see how the chain is even capable of a 2" stretch and, if it did, then how you didn't have hits is beyond me. You have had some bad luck. As to the over-rev, our ECUs store rev events above some crazy random-seeming number like 8043 rpm. If you do pursue this, demand to see the freeze-frame data.
never hit more than 7500 rpm . i am going to get the pics of the chain.. when i do i will post em. i was driving 20mph when the car stopped