Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS and Grimmspeed 3 port

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS and Grimmspeed 3 port

Now that I got my suspension close to being done I was going to buy a couple of things for the engine. I want to get a tune but figure I should do something to it first prior to the tune. So i started looking at intake. Started with AEM, then injen, but now I think I like AMS. I liked the injen because it came with the UICP. But from my research the upper doesn't make much of a diffence. If that is the case i was thinking of just the AMS intake for now and when I save up again do all the piping. I guess I'm just excited to get a tune and feel something different. I think I'm used to the speed and want to feel a little difference.

I guess my question is, is buying the AMS and the Grimmspeed 3 port and getting the tune a halfway decent plan? I will eventually get the exhaust, DP and such but that is more expensive and was thinking I could get a little bit of gain with the intake and 3 port.

Second question is, do I need to get the AMS intake With the bungs?

And I did google the doo out of this. So many opinions and options it's dizzying. Just want to make sure I'm not making a horrible decision choosing the above.

Thank you
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

I suggest the Harman motive Intake (if you like the AMS style) and a boost pill
instead of an AMS intake and 3port. We have that stuff in stock and can do the tune.

AND local to you!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Intake with bungs = vacc hose attached as stock is.

Intake without = catch can
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:13 PM

I'm in your shoes. Still new to the EVO. From my countless hours of lurking and reading my decision was....basic tune on just stock EVO (there is a lot more than you think that is unleashed just stock). Felt a big difference in stock map compared to now. My car is quicker and smoother than my buddies stock MR. Once you have saved up all your money for all the parts you want...one big install and tune day! I think adding a part here and tuning there is a waste of money. Think about it...average tune every time $300-$500 depending on where you are. I guess my biggest thing to say is "Be Patient"...it's what my wife keeps saying every time I get a part in and want to install and tune now! 1-2 more months I will have all my parts...then saving up for tune.

Just my .02...if you got the funds then do what you please...as far as parts...just research as you already do now...everyone will have an opinion (what’s better…what sucs). Again those are just peoples OPINIONS! You have people that like names and can afford it and then people that are looking to improve there vehicle but really can’t afford something like AMS…so they go ETS, Injen or K&N or something...al good products as well. Get what you can afford or brand you like or whatever. All my parts are AMS and Perrin. As for your questions, AMS makes great products…you will need it w/bung if you decide on that intake. The Grimmspeed 3 port is a great product…just allows for finer tuning in regards to boost. But for the stage you are at…you will feel a difference but it’s not going to be much is what I’m trying to say...it's going to basically be similar to a re-flash of a stock EVO not by much to REALLY feel the money spent.

My take as a fellow noob…Good Luck!

Last edited by cubandiaz; Mar 30, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the response. Yea patience is one thing I have never been known for. And the lack of it always seems to cost me money. My plan was to buy the best quality parts as I can afford them. Something that may be way more than I need now but that can grow with my desire for HP. Im in 100% commission sales, so i can be "poor" one month and "rich" the next. Lol. So i gotta do it before i spend it on a woman. The place I was going to tune only charges like a 100$ for a re- tune I believe, so I can live with that. My thinking was to at least have something bolted on when I take it for it's first tune. I do know the tuner did recommend the 3 port even for the stock tune (I guess almost stock after you add the 3 port" I guess it makes tuning the boost easier and safer.

Thanks again for the help. I spend hours reading this stuff. I'm actually doing it now on my iPad while RRE installs some suspension mods. But this is one of those things where sometimes the more I learn the more I'm confused. Just reading about intakes I hear the cold air ones are better because of course the air is cooler outside the engine area, then somebody else sounding equally knowledgable says with the intercooler it doesn't make a noticeable difference anyways and the shorter ones are more of a direct line, less turns and that makes up for any difference in heat. So here I sit confused. Lol it may come down to the one that sounds better.

Last edited by Uscbryan; Mar 30, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:08 PM

Well if it's sound you want from your intake...an open element filter (AMS, ETS, K&N etc.) is going to be louder (able to hear spool up and DV)....opposed to AEM or a drop-in filter. AEM or a drop-in is still noticeable, but open element filter/intakes are a bit louder.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cubandiaz
Well if it's sound you want from your intake...an open element filter (AMS, ETS, K&N etc.) is going to be louder (able to hear spool up and DV)....opposed to AEM or a drop-in filter. AEM or a drop-in is still noticeable, but open element filter/intakes are a bit louder.
Yea that's what I figured. Sound isn't what is important to me, but if it comes down to all things being equal, that would be the tie breaker.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Yea that's what I figured. Sound isn't what is important to me, but if it comes down to all things being equal, that would be the tie breaker.
Well...all in all...for the most part all the systems make around the same. Some more some less. But too me from what I seen and read it's not that much of a difference. So again, it comes down to other factors...rpice, brand, looks etc.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cubandiaz
Well...all in all...for the most part all the systems make around the same. Some more some less. But too me from what I seen and read it's not that much of a difference. So again, it comes down to other factors...rpice, brand, looks etc.
I'll throw another opinionat you Ufcbryon.. if you want to keep reliabilty at hand but still unleash the beast, and not care for the sound of the intake, here is an easy recipe that won't break the bank...

Tune by a reputable tuner
Drop-filter
UICP
Testpipe
Catback
Grimmspeed 3-port (optional but recommended for only $105)

Easy 300+ whp/tq

Last edited by Pbayr0lla321; Mar 30, 2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: P.S. ETS PARTS FTW!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Pbayr0lla321
I'll throw another opinionat you Ufcbryon.. if you want to keep reliabilty at hand but still unleash the beast, and not care for the sound of the intake, here is an easy recipe that won't break the bank...

Drop-filter
UICP
Testpipe
Catback

Easy 300+ whp/tq
That is true...as I said SOOOOO many options. Really it's all gonna come down to you. For most it is gonna come down to what you can afford. There are so many options and different set-ups that you could be happy with.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you. I did look into that option as well. I think I'm leaning towards ETS now man I am starting to feel like my ex girlfriend. Always changing my fricken mind. The AMS looked nice until I realize they charge you for every thing, (black instead of polished, bungs) My previous hobby, photography, was much easier to spend money on. Wasn't a matter of what to buy but when to buy it. Maybe by next week I will be back to the drop in fitter idea. I do have a 60$ credit at MAP and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Pbayr0lla321

Drop-filter
UICP
Testpipe
Catback

Easy 300+ whp/tq
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

If you want to do something simple. My recommendation might be a drop-in filter and a 3-port. Actually yesterday I just got those two along with a tune and safely making 310whp/310wtq (on a low-reading mustang dyno). Its cleans up the tune, gets that richness out, and I do notice a difference up top, it doesn't fall flat on its face like it used to in the upper RPMs.

My tuner (CBRD) was telling me not to worry about changing out the intake until I decided to change the turbo. So a drop-in filter is more than enough until then.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, that's plus 2 for the drop in. That's exactly what I'm trying to do, stop the car from falling on her face at higher RPM. It feels like she wants to keep pulling but somebody attached an anchor to her.

Originally Posted by comic0guy
If you want to do something simple. My recommendation might be a drop-in filter and a 3-port. Actually yesterday I just got those two along with a tune and safely making 310whp/310wtq (on a low-reading mustang dyno). Its cleans up the tune, gets that richness out, and I do notice a difference up top, it doesn't fall flat on its face like it used to in the upper RPMs.

My tuner (CBRD) was telling me not to worry about changing out the intake until I decided to change the turbo. So a drop-in filter is more than enough until then.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Thanks, that's plus 2 for the drop in. That's exactly what I'm trying to do, stop the car from falling on her face at higher RPM. It feels like she wants to keep pulling but somebody attached an anchor to her.
Haha well put
Old Apr 2, 2012, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

OP i am on the same path as you and I think we are making good choices. at lease you are on the same boat as me lol Just bought my car 1 month ago and I ordered ETS intake , ETS UICP and Grimmspeed 3 port .... as soon as i finish installing these its going to the local Tuner !!

Debating if I should order a ETS V2 QUIET Catback exhuast before i go in for the tune lol ... its expensive for me, many CBE is like almost 1000 dollars + install fees !!! that kind of money only gets me roughly 15-25whp hrmmmm decisions decisions

Quick Reply: AMS and Grimmspeed 3 port