Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

time for a new clutch (witch one should i go with)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time for a new clutch (witch one should i go with)

well my clutch started slipping last night . so im in the market for a new one . i was wondering what some of you guys would recommend ? theres seem to be 2 that the shops out here are saying i should go with the ACT # ME1-HDG6 6 puck sprung. and the other is the stage 2 exedy. i dont really want to spend more that $800 on the clutch as theres still install to pay for.

also is the brand Competition Clutch any good ? i was looking at the stage 4 kit 6 puck sprung .

any help before i go buy one would be appreciated

thanks chris

Last edited by 08mitsubishigsr; Jun 19, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lot of people are going with the Clutch Masters FX 400 with a segmented full face disc. Call MAP they can set you right.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:43 AM

comp twin HD! its not exactly a super streetable clutch tho
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:49 AM

I ran the Exedy twin SD for like 20,000 miles great street clutch.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:33 AM

I have the four puck exedy stage 2 and it by no means is an easy clutch to daily in but you do get used to it. You should do the clutch master cylinder upgrade. I have been on a magnus upgrade and it is holding up for 20k+ miles of daily driving.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by 08mitsubishigsr
well my clutch started slipping last night . so im in the market for a new one . i was wondering what some of you guys would recommend ? theres seem to be 2 that the shops out here are saying i should go with the ACT # ME1-HDG6 6 puck sprung. and the other is the stage 2 exedy. i dont really want to spend more that $800 on the clutch as theres still install to pay for.

also is the brand Competition Clutch any good ? i was looking at the stage 4 kit 6 puck sprung .

any help before i go buy one would be appreciated

thanks chris

How much power are you making that you would want a 6 puck sprung?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

How much Torque are you putting down?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
You are discussion some very aggressive clutches here. What are your current mods, how much power are you currently making, what do you use the car for, and what types of plans/goals do you have for the car in the near future? These are all questions we need answered in order to give you good recommendations.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:14 AM

Im going with the competion clutch stage 4 6 puck with upgraded flywheel as well and dont forget once you do a clutch need to change the clutch master cylinder. before you do anything price out the cost of labor before the clutch and the rest
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by philevoX
dont forget once you do a clutch need to change the clutch master cylinder.
Not entirely true. I for one do not plan on replacing the CMC. The majority of CMC failures are 2008's as the 2010+ have gotten stronger each year. My personal plan is to install the AMS cockring around mine and call it good. With that said, there are still a decent number of '08's running around with heavy clutches on the stock CMC seemingly reliably (but only time will be the true test of that). Another thing to note is the high failure rate of the after CMC's; the only one I'd personally even consider installing on my car is the complete AMS kit that comes pre-assembled.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

im going through the same thing right now im between the fx400 and the exedy twin
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Not entirely true. I for one do not plan on replacing the CMC. The majority of CMC failures are 2008's as the 2010+ have gotten stronger each year. My personal plan is to install the AMS cockring around mine and call it good. With that said, there are still a decent number of '08's running around with heavy clutches on the stock CMC seemingly reliably (but only time will be the true test of that). Another thing to note is the high failure rate of the after CMC's; the only one I'd personally even consider installing on my car is the complete AMS kit that comes pre-assembled.
in my case i rather be safe then stuck on the side of a road waiting for a tow truck, yes there still are evox's with the stock cmc but from what ive seen the rings to me only help for a little. both the magnus and the ams kit are great products to me.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

The FX400 is a very grabby clutch, not as aggressive as an Exedy Stage 2, but it's still more than I'd want to daily-drive (especially in traffic) with.

There are quite a few clutches that I'm considering for when it comes time to replace mine ranging all the way from stock (depends how long my factory clutch lasts, 40k miles and counting so far) to the Clutchmasters FX300 or WORKS CK2 on the aggressive side. Realistically, I'll probably end up with a mild upgrade such as the Competition HD Street, WORKS CK1, Spec Stage 1, etc.

Last edited by Kracka; Jun 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
The FX400 is a very grabby clutch, no where near as aggressive as an Exedy Stage 2, but it's still more than I'd want to daily-drive (especially in traffic) with.

There are quite a few clutches that I'm considering for when it comes time to replace mine ranging all the way from stock (depends how long my factory clutch lasts, 40k miles and counting so far) to the Clutchmasters FX300 or WORKS CK2 on the aggressive side. Realistically, I'll probably end up with a mild upgrade such as the Competition HD Street, WORKS CK1, Spec Stage 1, etc.

Same here that's why i went with cc stage 4, not goig to crazy with end mods just bolt ons and that clutch is fine for that.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by philevoX
Same here that's why i went with cc stage 4, not goig to crazy with end mods just bolt ons and that clutch is fine for that.
The stage 4 is rated for 575 ft lbs which is more then just bolt ons will get you.

Quick Reply: time for a new clutch (witch one should i go with)