Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Overboost Puzzle

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by REVOlution X
I've tried adjusting the preload on the actuator and swapped the spring out. There was no difference. That's what makes me think that it's not the WGA.

The Forge WGA currently has the Red spring (30+). I've also tried the weaker Blue spring (23-30). I tried various preload settings with both springs and it still overboosted.

I'm tuned for 25lbs.
The blue spring is somewhere between 23 and 30psi? I don't understand...

Even if it is a 23psi actuator, that's entirely too high if you only want to run 25psi. What you need to do is get that actuator off and put the stock one back on. The stock 11psi actuator will give you plenty of room to tune without overboosting, plus it'll allow the ECU to drop boost way down if it needs to. A stronger actuator really has no benefit on the stock turbo anyway.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toodrunk2see
Is your flapper in the wga even opening?
Seems like its stuck open from the way its boosting.

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
The blue spring is somewhere between 23 and 30psi? I don't understand...

Even if it is a 23psi actuator, that's entirely too high if you only want to run 25psi. What you need to do is get that actuator off and put the stock one back on. The stock 11psi actuator will give you plenty of room to tune without overboosting, plus it'll allow the ECU to drop boost way down if it needs to. A stronger actuator really has no benefit on the stock turbo anyway.
Forge springs are rated to crack at different pressures. The Blue should have been fine for my setup.

I dont have the stock one. The car had the Forge WGA on it when I bought it earlier this year. Im trying to avoid buying a stock one unless Im certain that its the issue. Im running out of options so that may be next to try.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes. I bypassed the AEM solenoid and ran straight wastegate....
Describe for me what you mean by "straight wastegate" and how you went about routing the boost hoses to achieve this state. I just want to make sure that we are on the same page please.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by sparky
Describe for me what you mean by "straight wastegate" and how you went about routing the boost hoses to achieve this state. I just want to make sure that we are on the same page please.
Ran the vacuum line from the turbo outlet directly to the wastegate.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:52 PM

If it was stuck open you wouldn't build any boost. You can get a stock wga for probably 50 bucks or keep overboosting and blow your motor. If your 100% sure that is not the bcs or something in your vaccum line then it has to be the wga. Do you have a friend with a evo with a stock wga? If so swap them out and see what happens.

Last edited by toodrunk2see; Oct 12, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by toodrunk2see
If it was stuck open you wouldn't build any boost. You can get a stock wga for probably 50 bucks or keep overboosting and blow your motor. If your 100% sure that is not the bcs or something in your vaccum line then it has to be the wga. Do you have a friend with a evo with a stock wga? If so swap them out and see what happens.
I was thinking if the flapper wasnt seating correctly then the turbo would overcompensate and build more boost.

Don't know of anyone that's willing to swap to try it out. And im taking it easy until i can resolve the issue. Hell, there's only 1-2 counts of knock. I've checked all lines and fixed all boost leaks. The Forge WGA with the blue spring and 0 preload shouldn't hit 31lbs.

Update: Just found out that my shop has a stock Evo X WGA on hand. Talk about luck. Im gonna try it out on Tuesday. Im praying it fixes the issue.

Last edited by REVOlution X; Oct 13, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Forge springs are rated to crack at different pressures. The Blue should have been fine for my setup.

I dont have the stock one. The car had the Forge WGA on it when I bought it earlier this year. Im trying to avoid buying a stock one unless Im certain that its the issue. Im running out of options so that may be next to try.
Yes I understand how wastegate actuators work and how they're rated, but one spring doesn't have a 7psi spread that it could open at. Is it a 23psi, or is it a 30psi spring? If you don't know, then how do you know if that spring "should have been fine"? Like I said, even a 23psi actuator is entirely too stiff if you only want 25psi, and especially on the stock turbo.

Get yourself that stock actuator the shop has and never, ever go back to that Forge.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
Yes I understand how wastegate actuators work and how they're rated, but one spring doesn't have a 7psi spread that it could open at. Is it a 23psi, or is it a 30psi spring? If you don't know, then how do you know if that spring "should have been fine"? Like I said, even a 23psi actuator is entirely too stiff if you only want 25psi, and especially on the stock turbo.

Get yourself that stock actuator the shop has and never, ever go back to that Forge.
Yeah. I don't know. I called and the guy at Forge told me that the blue spring should be fine for my setup.

I'm crossing my fingers that the stock one solves the problem. I'll post back on Tuesday to let y'all know.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
.....The Forge WGA with the blue spring and 0 preload shouldn't hit 31lbs....Just found out that my shop has a stock Evo X WGA on hand.....Im praying it fixes the issue.
I need to make sure that we are in consonance on certain specifics. When you write terms such as, "....zero preload....", and, ".....straight wastegate..."' are you meaning that your boost controller is totally disconnected and out of the loop completely, and that you have connected a separate and new length of 4mm rubber hose directly from the WGA nipple to the nipple on the compressor discharge tube and finally that you have adjusted the turnbuckle on the end of the actuator rod to the point where the hole drilled into the flat slides freely on and off the peg on the flapper valve's pivot arm? Thus, adjusted you should be getting a fairly low boost reading equivalent(11#) to the turbo's base spring pressure with that particular actuator.

I personally don't trust the AEM True Boost controller and/or the newer generation Forge "piston-style" actuators.

Last edited by sparky; Oct 15, 2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

I need to make sure that we are in consonance on certain specifics. When you write terms such as, "....zero preload....", and, ".....straight wastegate..."' are you meaning that your boost controller is totally disconnected and out of the loop completely, and that you have connected a separate and new length of 4mm rubber hose directly from the WGA nipple to the nipple on the compressor discharge tube and finally that you have adjusted the turnbuckle on the end of the actuator rod to the point where the hole drilled into the flat slides freely on and off the peg on the flapper valve's pivot arm? Thus, adjusted you should be getting a fairly low boost reading equivalent(11#) to the turbo's base spring pressure with that particular actuator.

I personally don't trust the AEM True Boost controller and/or the newer generation Forge "piston-style" actuators.
On the stock actuator, yes around 11psi. He's on a Forge actuator and doesn't actually know what its minimum pressure is.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:17 PM

I need to make sure that we are in consonance on certain specifics. When you write terms such as, "....zero preload....", and, ".....straight wastegate..."' are you meaning that your boost controller is totally disconnected and out of the loop completely, and that you have connected a separate and new length of 4mm rubber hose directly from the WGA nipple to the nipple on the compressor discharge tube and finally that you have adjusted the turnbuckle on the end of the actuator rod to the point where the hole drilled into the flat slides freely on and off the peg on the flapper valve's pivot arm?
Yes and yes. When I say "0 preload" Im referring to having the turnbuckle at the point where it slides on and off easily. And "straight wastegate" being just as you stated... WGA nipple to compressor nipple and no boost controllers.

And my TruBoost gauge is nothing more than a standard boost gauge now.

Last edited by REVOlution X; Oct 15, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:40 AM

So, we put it on the lift and found the problem. The O2 dump tube from the DP is capped off (welded shut). Removing the DP now to cut it and weld a pipe back into it like a divorced DP is supposed to be.

Last edited by REVOlution X; Oct 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:01 PM

Haha who would do that lol. I would find the guy who owned the car before you and kick him in the d*** lol.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Seriously... Who would do that and for what purpose?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The phrase "WARNING - DANGER TO MANIFOLD!" was doubtless running through their heads.

Rich

Quick Reply: Overboost Puzzle