Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

New Clutch...not sure what the problem is

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
MCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Clutch...not sure what the problem is

[B]Alright guys noob question time. As some of you know I just recently got a new clutch (exedy stage 1 HD) so far ive put 1700 miles on it since I decided to drive it up to GA. Anyway, when I first got it it was VERY tight and really hard to engage and I didnt have much of a friction zone but now it's like really loose and it has a really large friction zone...it's almost acting as it was when I had to get a new clutch it's just not slipping lol. Question is; am I just stupid and the clutch is broken in or is it already going to **** -__- btw this is my first stick car lol

Last edited by MCH; Oct 23, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Why did you need to get the clutch replaced in a car ~1 year old? May be time to adjust your driving style.
I have 72K on my stock clutch and I've been modded since 20K. 280-300hp on a mustang dyno.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:43 PM
MCH

Originally Posted by tony_b
Why did you need to get the clutch replaced in a car ~1 year old? May be time to adjust your driving style.
I have 72K on my stock clutch and I've been modded since 20K. 280-300hp on a mustang dyno.
I had to get it replaced because it's my first stick car...for some reason it cut off lol...but some people are saying that it might be the CMC since they are ****ing plastic lol
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah cmc might be leaking...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:54 AM

In my very recent experience, the cmc doesn’t just leak. It fails catastrophically. See my post here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...er-victim.html
I have the same clutch you have. I only have about 500 miles on it now, and I do feel it “breaking in” some. The pedal doesn’t feel as stiff, but some of that might just be me getting used to it. I also feel that the friction zone is feeling better to me also. Time will tell. If the clutch isn’t slipping, you probably don’t have clutch problem.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:20 AM
MCH

Originally Posted by Old Eagle
In my very recent experience, the cmc doesn’t just leak. It fails catastrophically. See my post here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...er-victim.html
I have the same clutch you have. I only have about 500 miles on it now, and I do feel it “breaking in” some. The pedal doesn’t feel as stiff, but some of that might just be me getting used to it. I also feel that the friction zone is feeling better to me also. Time will tell. If the clutch isn’t slipping, you probably don’t have clutch problem.
So when you fixed your CMC did it make everything better? Is it easy to see if the CMC is actually what's causing this?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:02 AM

In my case, the clutch pedal was dead when the stock cmc failed. I can't say that I noticed a big change in the pedal feel between the stock and ssp mc on the same clutch. If your cmc is going weak or leaking fluid your pedal will go soft and eventually not return. You will lose fluid to the point where you can't operate the clutch.

When you say your original clutch "cut off", what did you mean? Did you push the clutch pedal to the floor and it stuck there and nothing happened? That would be the cmc. Did something different happen?

Last edited by Old Eagle; Oct 24, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
MCH

Originally Posted by Old Eagle
In my case, the clutch pedal was dead when the stock cmc failed. I can't say that I noticed a big change in the pedal feel between the stock and ssp mc on the same clutch. If your cmc is going weak or leaking fluid your pedal will go soft and eventually not return. You will lose fluid to the point where you can't operate the clutch.

When you say your original clutch "cut off", what did you mean? Did you push the clutch pedal to the floor and it stuck there and nothing happened? That would be the cmc. Did something different happen?
haha, sorry i should've been more clear ;]. when i said it cut off i was just saying that when i was posting it cut off some of the text so i couldn't type everything i wanted to lol...but i went to the shop today and he said everything is fine it's just broken in...and i mentioned that it just seemed way too loose so i thought...maybe i'm just really used to it. so to test that theory i used my OTHER foot on the clutch and it was a lot more difficult ...guess i was just worrying over nothing! thanks for the help though guys!!!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:06 PM

i have the same clutch and mines the same way i worried about this to but my CMC went out so i got the reinforcment kit
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:58 PM

mithsubishi clutch promlem discussion

It never hurts to make sure your clutch fluid reservoir is properly filled. Though my guess would be that our clutch is simply not fully disengaging when shifted into neutral, or potentially something is loose and is rattling around in the clutch housing. If your clutch has around 160km on it, you may want to consider getting it replaced anyway. Inspection of the slave clutch cylinder, shift fork, and pivot ball should be done when the clutch assembly is replaced.

Even i got some similar kind of problem regarding clutch.......
I have had my Mitsi Galant Viento V6 1992 for about 6 months, just recently the clutch has started slipping.
I have been advised that I might be able to get away with just tightening the "clutch cable" to buy me some time while i save up the $800 for a new clutch.
any idea where this "clutch cable" is?
Ive searched the net and cant find ANYTHING! PLEASE HELP!!

np pajero

Last edited by David William; Nov 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM.