Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

First X build - Help and opinions wanted (parts list inside)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First X build - Help and opinions wanted (parts list inside)

Hello everyone,
I am completely new to the modifying scene so would really appreciate your help!

First of all, I will give you a brief history of the car, its driving environment and my goals.

I have a 2009 GSR, having had it for a year and a half (32,000KMS) the time has come to start bumping up the power. Now, as it is my daily driver, safety and reliability are extremely important.

Please also take into consideration that I live in the Middle East, our winter temperatures are around 70F and our summers reach 110F++ and humidity is often 100%. So cooling is obviously hugely important (hence the 4” intercooler core option).

My overall goal (for now) is around 330whp 300wtq.
I don’t want to say money is of no importance, but I would rather spend a lot now getting the correct parts that will last me for my long term goals (FP red). And you know what they say “buy cheap buy twice”. I also don’t want to have to buy any part twice when I upgrade to the FP red.

The below is my initial parts list;
(Parts in red are already purchased)

• · Tomei Test pipe
  • · Tomei Cat back
  • · AMS Widemouth downpipe
  • · AMS Cold air intake
  • · AMS 4” Intercooler
  • · AMS UICP
  • · AMS LICP w/Tial bov
  • · AMS Shifter bushings (Shifter base & under hood)
  • · Boomba Oil catch Can (for CAI)
  • · Forge turbo intake catch can
  • · Forge Intake manifold catch can
  • · Defi Advanced CR gauges (oil & water temp & oil pressure)
  • · Aem Tru-boost
  • · Innovate wideband gauge
  • · Grimmspeed 3 port
  • · Koyorad radiator
  • · Full Silicone hose kit
I will be gathering all the parts and doing a instal and pro tune all at once. I am also planning on other mods after the above is completed (sway bars, coil overs, ams small battery) but the above is my first stage.

I would really appreciate any feedback you guys and gals can provide me. I know some of the parts are insanely over priced i.e. Forge catch cans, but again safety is really important! Also your views on any parts you feel I do not need or do need that are not on the list would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your input. Cant wait to start the build!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Fuel injectors?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

So you will be getting the Red, or you are getting it in this parts list?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Showbizz41
So you will be getting the Red, or you are getting it in this parts list?
Sorry should of made that clear, I won't be getting the red just yet. I just want to run at this stage for a while but have the parts already so I can basically strap the red on and be good to go.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Fuego
Fuel injectors?
Im not sure if I would need them. Are they recommended for this stage or when I get a bigger turbo and do fuel rail and fuel pump?

Thanks for this input. Any more suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks again all.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

They aren't needed at this stage, but a must when you go with a bigger turbo. Nice parts list!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Have you replaced the clutch master cylinder? Have you replaced spark plugs yet or tranny fluids?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:10 AM

Have you replaced the clutch master cylinder? Have you replaced spark plugs yet or tranny fluids?
Nope, nope and nope it just came back from the dealer for 30,000KM service and they told me that 40,000KM is the big one where they would flush and change all fluids. Should I be getting this done now?

Spark plugs are the original's, should they be replaced?

In regards to the CMC would you recommend this even though I dont have an aftermarket clutch? Or do you recommend it as the safety issue is an important aspect to me? It seems like it makes sense to do it from now.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by E\/0 X
Nope, nope and nope it just came back from the dealer for 30,000KM service and they told me that 40,000KM is the big one where they would flush and change all fluids. Should I be getting this done now?

Spark plugs are the original's, should they be replaced?

In regards to the CMC would you recommend this even though I dont have an aftermarket clutch? Or do you recommend it as the safety issue is an important aspect to me? It seems like it makes sense to do it from now.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!
There have been a ton of people suggesting to change plugs every 15k.. I plan to, to be safe. I would never listen to the dealer! There's too much info to suggest otherwise.

CMC is the same as plugs.. There's been a list generated of things to fix immediately with the car when you buy it. Aka, weak points. CMC being just that

After I destroyed the ring n pinion in the T case and had to buy a new one after 11k miles, Shep himself told me to change all tranny fluids every 3rd oil change. Again, to be on the safe side
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:13 AM

There have been a ton of people suggesting to change plugs every 15k.. I plan to, to be safe. I would never listen to the dealer! There's too much info to suggest otherwise.

CMC is the same as plugs.. There's been a list generated of things to fix immediately with the car when you buy it. Aka, weak points. CMC being just that

After I destroyed the ring n pinion in the T case and had to buy a new one after 11k miles, Shep himself told me to change all tranny fluids every 3rd oil change. Again, to be on the safe side
Thank you very much for the info, I shall drop her in and get all fluids changed asap. I will also get the AMS CMS upgrade and get that installed as well.

Thanks again for your time, much appreciated!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you very much for the info, I shall drop her in and get all fluids changed asap. I will also get the AMS CMS upgrade and get that installed as well.

Thanks again for your time, much appreciated!
You got it! Consider the Magnus CMC.. I have the AMS, and while I've yet to have an issue, the Magnus has gotten great reviews and supposedly more heavy duty
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:59 AM

Just a quick question;

If I get the grimmspeed 3 port, would I be correct in thinking that I would not need the AEM tru-boost which is also a boost controller as well and should just go for a standard boost gauge?

Thanks again everyone.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Just a quick question;

If I get the grimmspeed 3 port, would I be correct in thinking that I would not need the AEM tru-boost which is also a boost controller as well and should just go for a standard boost gauge?

Thanks again everyone.
GrimmSpeed 3 port all the way! You will not need the AEM Tru Boost if you get the GrimmSpeed unit!

We also have them on sale right now:

GrimmSpeed Boost Control Solenoid
AEM Boost Gauge

-Chris
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by XTR Performance
GrimmSpeed 3 port all the way! You will not need the AEM Tru Boost if you get the GrimmSpeed unit!

We also have them on sale right now:

GrimmSpeed Boost Control Solenoid
AEM Boost Gauge

-Chris
Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your response and sale info! Good to know.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your response and sale info! Good to know.
Absolutely. Good luck with your build as well

-Chris

Quick Reply: First X build - Help and opinions wanted (parts list inside)