Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrading EVO X Stock BOV

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading EVO X Stock BOV

I am interested in upgrading my stock BOV and I am undecided on which Recirc BOV I should be looking at. My current setup is Injen Short Ram Intake w/ UICP. I still have the stock LICP and Tubing to Stock BOV. I was intersted in getting the TiAL QR Recirc BOV but I was told that that specific BOV will NOT work with my setup due to it being a Flange. I was also told to look in to the Recirc BOV by Perrin Performance. Currently if I get on the throttle I see boost levels reaching 29psi. I do not always top out my boost levels but when I do, I do not want to cause any damage to anything since I have been told the stock BOV are good to about 25psi. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 2012evogsr; Dec 20, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
What's the rest of your setup? There's nothing wrong with the stock BOV for a basic bolt-on setup. If you insist on upgrading though, I really like the Cobb BPV XLE; performing fantastically on my car. You can also look at the Synapse DV; people seem to like them, but all the fittings to seem prone to leaking and it may take a while to get it setup properly.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^+1...I'd have to agree man, unless your planning on throwing more mods and or running more than 25psi I'd leave the BOV alone. The stock BOV is a fairly decent set-up, hell there are some folks still running the stock BOV up to 27-29psi (however it is reccomended that you replace it after 25 as most of them start leaking at that point). Unless your going for a different sound its not practical to replace it as of now.

Now on to another point, running 29psi is significant on the factory turbo man. Have you been tuned for upwards of 29psi? I bet it hits hard but your heatsoaking the hell out of your system man. I don't even think the factory intercooler can suffice seeing how your cresting the verge of the factory turbo's limits. Is it just spiking to 29 and then tapering down to ---....(And like I said earlier you might have a factory freak BOV, do a boost leak test and charge your system to 29psi...it might just surprise you)
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:59 AM

I'm running my stock BOV at 28psi with no problems, Baka did to a small crush on it to hold a little more boost though. However I do get some part throttle lift off flutter now which is very annoying.

Any flutter with the Cobb Kracka? I know the Synapse DV with the yellow spring can be a flutter free setup.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

is there a simple upgrade BOV which requires plug and play only? I want to be able to put stock bov back on quickly if needed.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:58 AM

I believe Synapse DV would be your best bet, soft spring B port only
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

ok thanks-soft spring b port only? what does this mean?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ethics
is there a simple upgrade BOV which requires plug and play only? I want to be able to put stock bov back on quickly if needed.
Cobb. Fits just like stock and no silly ports and multiple configurations; take it out of the box and it just works.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jason S-9
Any flutter with the Cobb Kracka? I know the Synapse DV with the yellow spring can be a flutter free setup.
26k trouble-free miles, I'm very happy with it.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

I run the WORKS OEM style upgrade.

ASAP, I replaced my stock one.... BOOST SPIKE TO 29PSI.
Didn't know the stocker leaked that bad @ 25psi.
Holds like a champ, no silly adjustment pieces, straight plug and play, no flutter.

Gained a +7/+9 on a retune back to 25psi
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:29 AM

^ I always wondered how the Works performed, I find it a bit expensive but I do like the stealth look. Good to hear it's flutter free, my flutter is really bothering me at times..
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

You can do a boost leak test to see how much boost the bov holds...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

The Works BOV is just a stock one with a stiffer spring, no? Do they change the internals as well?

I'm not really considering the Synapse given how many fluttering issues I keep hearing about.

Now I'll have to look into the Cobb.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:21 PM

Synapse is my favorite...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:28 PM

I have a Synapse... and a FP Black BB. It flutters/surges sometimes in high rpms/partial throttle.

Sidenote: Nice username

Quick Reply: Upgrading EVO X Stock BOV