Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blue smoke, what to check?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue smoke, what to check?

With spring arriving I've been a little heavier on the throttle than usual. A co-worker was behind me on my way to work and saw me take off from a light and observed blue smoke from my exhaust.

Car is stock, but previous owner had bolt-ons and AMS tune.

I checked the exhaust tips and there is some black oily residue on them.

Checked oil fill level and it is a little high (an eighth of an inch above full). Checked air filter and no sign of oil.

Planning to do an oil change tomorrow and making sure I don't overfill this time.

Is there anything else I can visually inspect to determine what the problem might be without taking things apart, or should I take it to the dealer? Car has 27K miles and I am 2nd owner, I believe I'm still under warranty until 5 years after original purchase (which was June 2009).

I suppose I can just do the oil change and see if blue smoke is still present after that before I start to worry. Any advice is appreciated.
Old May 7, 2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
With spring arriving I've been a little heavier on the throttle than usual. A co-worker was behind me on my way to work and saw me take off from a light and observed blue smoke from my exhaust.

Car is stock, but previous owner had bolt-ons and AMS tune.

I checked the exhaust tips and there is some black oily residue on them.

Checked oil fill level and it is a little high (an eighth of an inch above full). Checked air filter and no sign of oil.

Planning to do an oil change tomorrow and making sure I don't overfill this time.

Is there anything else I can visually inspect to determine what the problem might be without taking things apart, or should I take it to the dealer? Car has 27K miles and I am 2nd owner, I believe I'm still under warranty until 5 years after original purchase (which was June 2009).

I suppose I can just do the oil change and see if blue smoke is still present after that before I start to worry. Any advice is appreciated.
It IS under factory warranty still, technically. But with bolt-ons and the tune. Not a chance in hell Mitsu would honor the warranty now.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by FoxFister
It IS under factory warranty still, technically. But with bolt-ons and the tune. Not a chance in hell Mitsu would honor the warranty now.
It IS under warranty still, ACTUALLY. I bought the car in stock form and I'm only aware of the previous owner's mods by finding his posts on this forum. I'd say there's a very small chance that a dealer could somehow determine that the car had been previously modded and insist that those mods (which have been gone for 22K miles) are the cause of the problem and refuse to honor the warranty. But thanks for your expert speculation.

BTW I changed the oil after I posted this and the blue smoke appears to be gone. My guess it was caused by being slightly over-filled last time, but I'm not going to sweat it if there are no further issues.
Old May 12, 2013, 09:16 PM

I agree, I believe that the oil being overfilled would cause that smoking issue. Too much oil is as bad as not enough oil. It can cause it to foam up and not protect the internals