Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACD/AYC pump failure reports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
year: 2010 MR Touring
first sold: Bought Used 25k
pump started to fail: 30k i actually broke my front sway bar in half and took the car in then the 4wd service required screen popped up
pump failed: 34k
I have a code for a steering wheel angle sensor though and may have to shell out some money to get that fixed. However, they are replacing the AYC pump under warranty

current mods on the car: upper and lower intercooler pipe and catback exhaust. everything else stock!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 09:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2014 RA
First sold: Bought used 04/12/2017 - Had: 47,000KM
Pump started to fail: 51,000km

I know its not a Evo x but still wanted to post when it failed, Good thing I had still under warranty it cost here in Canada $2000 to repair it.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pump Failed.
2009 Ralliart Sportbac. 190k
I almost got in an accident because the AWD system wasn't there when I needed it.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by seeuarndjimmy
year: 2010 MR Touring
first sold: Bought Used 25k
pump started to fail: 30k i actually broke my front sway bar in half and took the car in then the 4wd service required screen popped up
pump failed: 34k
I have a code for a steering wheel angle sensor though and may have to shell out some money to get that fixed. However, they are replacing the AYC pump under warranty

current mods on the car: upper and lower intercooler pipe and catback exhaust. everything else stock!
How did you break your Swaybar?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 09:19 AM

2011 GSR
ACD pump failed 106k miles
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 MR, c161e @ 24k miles
Old May 24, 2018, 09:32 AM

2014 EVO X GSR 35k w/ Catback Exhaust.
C161F is the only code showing now. My TARMAC light flashed on one of the first hot days of the year. I have access to a MUT3 through a buddy. Should I delete the code and wait for the C161E code to come up?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

My Tarmac light has been blinking off and on since September of last year. I made an appointment with Mitsubishi last Friday for this past Monday and when I made the appointment I told them I was tuned and they did not seem to think there would be much of an issue. Took it to Mitsubishi dealership Monday morning and I got somewhat of a different response after I told them I was tuned. He told me that supposedly they have to pull the code from the car and send it to Mitsubishi and if they detect a modification they will reject the warranty work. He said they had a customer in with the AWD service required message and they were tuned and they denied work on their car. So I left. I'm contemplating whether to put a base tune back on the car and take it back and see if that works or just to leave it as is and let them run their check on it and see if the void it.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Putting your basic tune back on won't matter from what I hear as they have counters built in.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

How do you check for C161 codes? Can evoscan do this?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:30 PM

Year: 2014
First sold: 08/13
Pump started to fail: 58,000 miles a month ago
Pump failed: 59,000
Cold-start reflashed: Not sure. I am guessing not. Bought in brand new and has never been to dealer since I got it.

Brought it to dealer last Saturday and they are telling me that the failure is not covered because the damage to the pump is related to the tune. Service guy is telling me they got the wrong code. They cleared it and said it hasn't come back yet. Also noted to me that the pumps cannot handle too much power and that the tune did that.

At first they told me it was covered and they brought the car in started to work on it. I could see it from the outside. They took the wheel off and everything then all of a sudden he came back with that bull**** explanation. I don't know what they saw when they checked the pump in my car but it certainly changed their tune.

Since the dealership near me won't cover, does anyone know if I can take it to a different dealership that has handled cars with tune and if they would still be able to get my car covered under warranty? Any help would be great.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, if you get the infamous C161E error code it means your ACD is done or what? What is the part number needed if this BS isn't covered under warranty? This is truly frustrating...
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:30 AM

Year: 2011
First Sold: 03/2011
Pump Started to fail: 32K Miles (UK weather!)
Pump failed: 36K Miles
Cold Start Re-flashed: Unknown, has been serviced by Mitsubishi main dealer since new, so possibly.

Not covered by warranty despite all services by main dealer as it falls outside the UK 5 year limit on AYC pump. Only advice I can give if you are outside the warrant is change it yourself, I had a quote of £3.5K for Mitsubishi to change it out, bought a OEM new pump off ebay (£1599.00), together with manual bleed box, and had it done with 3 hrs (just on a set of axle stands, and a basic socket set). A far better option for me than a refurbished unit, that have reports of failing within 12 months.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 02:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I am shocked by the price of repairing pumps in your countries. if someone needs advice on repair or help make a pump write in my topic. I am doing a rebuild successfully for more than four years. and give a guarantee on their work year !!!!!!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

I got mine replaced at a different dealer, no issues, no hassles, didn't even ask if I was tuned and I didn't tell them. The first time I went in I watched the tech run the diagnostics on the car where it showed an actuator issue in the pump. They didn't even say they needed to collect a fee from me before running the test. 100X's better experience than at the other dealership. I don't understand why they can't all be this way, anyway if I were to buy another Mitsubishi I'm more inclined now to buy one from this dealer.

I recommend if you get bad service at one dealer try to find another one.

This was my worse fear (I cannot believe this happened to you). I would try to find another dealership:

Originally Posted by Master_Joriah
Brought it to dealer last Saturday and they are telling me that the failure is not covered because the damage to the pump is related to the tune. Service guy is telling me they got the wrong code. They cleared it and said it hasn't come back yet. Also noted to me that the pumps cannot handle too much power and that the tune did that.

At first they told me it was covered and they brought the car in started to work on it. I could see it from the outside. They took the wheel off and everything then all of a sudden he came back with that bull**** explanation. I don't know what they saw when they checked the pump in my car but it certainly changed their tune.

Since the dealership near me won't cover, does anyone know if I can take it to a different dealership that has handled cars with tune and if they would still be able to get my car covered under warranty? Any help would be great.
They cannot with good conscience say that corrosion is caused by a tune. If you continue to get trouble I would contact Mitsubishi corporate and get a file going. I would not give up; continue to fight them.

Last edited by koolzero; Oct 3, 2018 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: ACD/AYC pump failure reports