Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Comp Stage 3 2600 + AMS CMC Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013 | 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Comp Stage 3 2600 + AMS CMC Review

So I finally got my new Comp Stage 3 2600 (segmented full face) clutch and AMS CMC kit installed this past weekend. I got it done locally from a friend who specializes in evos and dsms. He knows his way around them both very well, and owns a RHD JDM Evo IV.

I'm still putting some break-in miles on the disc even though they claim they aren't required due to the material the disc is made of. I'm going to put at least 250 miles or so on it before I start to drive it hard. I will have to update the review when that time comes. But for now, here are some initial impressions and pictures below of the old disc / new disc / etc.

Some other quick notes: I paired the clutch w/ a resurfaced stock flywheel, and my clutch restrictor pill is long gone. I also switched to the Neo synthetic trans fluid that SpeedCircuit sells.

I had previously driven my cousin's X w/ the segmented full-face disc and Magnus CMC kit so I knew what to expect clutch grab-wise. The Comp is very grabby compared to the stock disc, but I wouldn't call it hard to drive. As long as you know where the engagement point is you can still even slip it if you want. But when you're slipping it, you can feel the disc "skipping" on the flywheel. Not sure the best way to describe the feeling. It's the metallic pads on the disc on/off friction with the flywheel.

I used to have issues shifting from 1st - 2nd very fast as I would get a bit of a lockout or feel like the shifter was hitting a wall for a split second before going into gear. I haven't shifted very hard yet, but already I can tell that this issue seems to be gone! I can't wait to test it out at the strip and hopefully improve my 300ft time now.

The AMS CMC kit in combo with the clutch increased the pedal pressure I'd say about 30% over stock. My stock clutch had been getting heavier over the years (3yrs, 41k miles) though, and recently was noticeably heavier than a friends new 2013 X. So, the percent pedal pressure may be more in your case, idk.

Per the AMS install guide, pedal travel was adjusted to 110mm. However, this is where I have some concerns. Currently the clutch grabs basically at the top of the pedal throw. There is a little bit of free play at the very top as there should be. Also, I noticed while pushing the clutch in and having a friend observe the clutch fork in the engine bay, that the clutch fork stops moving at about 80% pedal travel. The remaining 20% pedal travel to the floor does not move the fork any more. When the clutch pedal does stop moving, the actual stopper on the pedal is about a half inch or so away from the stopper on the firewall. The pedal is being stopped by either max CMC travel, or by the clutch pedal sensor, it's hard to tell.

The high engagement doesn't concern me as much as the bolded section above ^^^. I'd like to get that sorted first then deal w/ the engagement point if it can be changed at all.

So, all you AMS CMC kit people out there, do you have these same issues? What did you do adjustment wise? Did you use a different pedal stop?

Old Jun 27, 2013 | 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still on the stocker with my X, but my IX had basically the same CMC and an ACT HDSS clutch. One thing was that it was picky about where it grabbed until I bled the clutch further. Then it was lower engagement by the floor until about 1 day of driving/breakin then it felt normal.

One thing was the adjustment of the pedal was quite sensitive. Just a hair too low and it would shift rough due to not letting go of the disc. A hair too high and it would slip under WOT in 3rd or the boost spike in 1st.

I ended up buying a wing-nut for the adjustment nut because I was rounding off the nut from the constant adjustment. But once I got it perfect I had a solid year of no problems before I sold the car to someone else.

But I'll be probably switching back to the IX CMC on my X as soon as the first clutch job comes around. I've felt mine slip a few times when 100* outside and I don't have the restrictor so perhaps it's getting close. I'm at 12K miles in the X if it matters. I could probably preserve the stock clutch for a lot longer but I really want an adjustable CMC like my IX had. I hate where the pedal grabs on my X.
Old Jun 27, 2013 | 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

I did some "testing" on my lunch at work, and the clutch is completely disengaged with only pushing the pedal in halfway, or maybe a bit more than halfway. It shifts gears with it like that just fine. So, I think I have plenty of adjustment room to move the pedal down...
Old Jun 28, 2013 | 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jyamona
I did some "testing" on my lunch at work, and the clutch is completely disengaged with only pushing the pedal in halfway, or maybe a bit more than halfway. It shifts gears with it like that just fine. So, I think I have plenty of adjustment room to move the pedal down...
Just do it a step at a time and test it each time.

I'd loosen the lock-nut, then turn the CMC piston 1.5 turns then re-lock the nut and go for a drive.

On other cars I'd turn the piston 3-4 times but the Evo seemed more sensitive so I had better luck with smaller adjustments to zero in on the perfect spot.
Old Jul 1, 2013 | 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

So I got to mess with the CMC adjustment over the weekend and got it set much lower than it was originally. There are about 5 threads showing for further adjustment. I think it can still be lowered even more but we will see. I like it much better already. Clutch is still getting broken in, so I can't report anything new there.

However, the CMC squeaks like a **** now. I put white lithium grease on it, but that only stopped the squeak for about 15 pedal presses lol. Anyone else have this problem? What can I put on it to stop the squeak? It's terribly annoying.
Old Sep 13, 2013 | 05:47 PM

I just got the same clutch w/ AMS CMC kit installed and it literally feels like it engages at the very very top and pushing it past halfway down does nothing. How do I lower the engagement point?
Old Sep 16, 2013 | 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nickzorz91
I just got the same clutch w/ AMS CMC kit installed and it literally feels like it engages at the very very top and pushing it past halfway down does nothing. How do I lower the engagement point?
Go look down under the pedals...you pop the arm of the CMC off of the clutch pedal and loosen the lock nut. Then spin the arm clockwise to adjust it down. If your CMC assembly is current in the spec range that AMS suggested, like mine was, I put 5 full clockwise turns on the arm.

Then simply pop the arm back on the pedal and tighten the lock nut.

Word of advice also, make sure to put tons of white lithium grease in the cup of the arm before putting it on the clutch pedal, it'll save you lots of squeaks