Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

corrected ACD/AYC pump pic

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a silly suggestion. What if after sealing it, you coated that area with bed liner spray?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mar387
Iowa, I checked the pump location and it looks like it is partially enclosed just like in the picture you posted. So I assume that salt and other contaminants get kicked up beyond the partially enclosed pieces of the pump, correct? If so, I assume in order to attempt to properly protect the pump in terms of sealing it with anti-corrosive spray, you need to take the enclosing apart?
It is protected on the bottom and one side by the bracket it lives on, but crud can still be flicked up off the tires and then down on top of it. A more-complete box would be good, but I'd still do the three-step protection that KiKiTurbo has described elsewhere several times. The main alternative is relocation, but that's much more work and money, plus it is not legal in several classes for sanctioned racing.

Originally Posted by mar387
Where I live, I don't have a jack or jack stands, so I'm trying to gauge the effort involved to protect the pump. I live in NJ and the car has been through one solid winter, and I'd prefer to try and save myself from spending thousands of dollars on a replacement or repair.
You only have to lift that corner and pull that wheel to get the pump out. But note that you'll have to remove it completely and then bleed the system after putting it back. If you're a "driveway" mechanic, this might be too much. But I hear you on wanting to do something before this winter. Maybe get a flexible-neck camera and take a look at it before anything else. This can be done without pulling the wheel or lifting the car.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GetterDragun
Here's a silly suggestion. What if after sealing it, you coated that area with bed liner spray?
That's close to one of the two suggested top-coats. After getting some silicone sealant in the cracks, you could paint it or cover it with heavy marine grease. Bed-liner also sounds good. But you want a sealant in the cracks before the final, top coat, whatever it is.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 09:51 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Let's not mention that the incorrect picture is from EvoXForums and that this is just one more reason to be here and not there, OK? oops tee hee
+1 to this.